Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Dec 2014 at 6:39 AM
Can TS3 become corrupted?
I was just wondering...Is it possible to corrupt The Sims 3? In Sims 2 I know how really really easy it is to corrupt your game. Heck, the game is shipped corrupted! However, I've looked and it seems that the only things that can become corrupted are save files and custom content. I'm not looking to corrupt my game I would just like to know if we can play our games without constantly worrying that everything we do could cause corruption.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Dec 2014 at 7:44 AM
Yes, save games are the most vulnerable, if you don't maintain your save file on a regular basis, if you leave in outdated or crappy mods, or if you mess around in NRaas too much.

Then again, I looked at a save game the wrong way and it borked, so I dunno.

For the game itself it's more likely due to installing out of order or keeping in mods/caches/etc. while you install. At other times, the game will simply disagree with your computer. The Sims 3 is a complex and somewhat convoluted patched-together program, and installing everything you want in one go is the best way to avoid issues.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 15th Dec 2014 at 11:34 AM
I've never had a corrupt save game (crossing fingers) but I follow these rules:
a. I use saver from nraas and I save as often
b. when my game is acting strange, I exit without saving
c. after 50 weeks in game, I transfer the whole town to a fresh world (made by me)
d. I use the reset everything option in master controller from nraas every 2 weeks in game or the simplier reset all? cheat just for resetting sims
e. if a particular household is acting up, just evicting it and moving it back, works for me

I've been following these rules and they are very simplier than they look. I've been playing the town for 3 years now, just moving it to a fresh world once in a while and I've yet to actually delete a sim or save due to corruption (still crossing fingers).

Vivi e lascia vivere.
My blog Simplex Sims for more elder and teen CC.
Theorist
#4 Old 15th Dec 2014 at 12:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Yes, save games are the most vulnerable, if you don't maintain your save file on a regular basis, if you leave in outdated or crappy mods, or if you mess around in NRaas too much.

Then again, I looked at a save game the wrong way and it borked, so I dunno.

For the game itself it's more likely due to installing out of order or keeping in mods/caches/etc. while you install. At other times, the game will simply disagree with your computer. The Sims 3 is a complex and somewhat convoluted patched-together program, and installing everything you want in one go is the best way to avoid issues.

I never install stuff in order as I'm always too lazy to look it up. I've never had a issue with my game corrupting from doing that ( I can count on one hand how many times I've re-installed, so that may have a lot to do with why I've never had that problem) but I have had corruption issues with programs that 'compress' saves and with other third-party, 'space-saving' programs. It's easier to only use one save a few times, then remove it from the game entirely.

Other than that, I agree. TS3 involves a lot of proverbial housekeeping and maintenance as otherwise things can get ugly really fast.
Test Subject
#5 Old 15th Dec 2014 at 5:23 PM
It is common for saved games and caches to get corrupt. There are things you can do to minimize the problem.

a. Always save with a new file name.
b. Save at least once every sim day.
c. Use save cleaner regularly on our game save to remove SNAPs.
d. Use NRAAS Master Controller reset all once a Sim week.
e. Delete Sim and Object Caches regularly.
f. After 6 hours of game play save and exit the game. Reload to continue playing. The Sim is known for a memory leak bug.
g. Try a Game Booster program to shut down unneeded programs. My AV likes to scan hourly and will try to boot me back to desktop when playing the Sims. Sometimes the game will crash because of this.

Yes it is possible to corrupt the Sim 3 game itself but it is rare and usually requires failing hardware on your computer. It has happened to me twice. Once when a two year old hard drive was failing and the second time on a failing power supply.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#6 Old 15th Dec 2014 at 6:28 PM
I agree with most suggestions except for two:
a. Save Cleaner (the most recent version) can also inadvertently delete photos you took and leave empty references behind. Use it with caution, especially when you travel a lot. Deleting those SNAPs regularly can also have some weird effects that affect your Sims' various outfit thumbnails, namely that they go missing and are rebuilt wrongly, which seems to also affect the genetics appearance when they wear that outfit.
b. Resettting the whole town once a week is not a good idea and can damage a save more than not doing it. Reset Everything should be a last resort not a habit.
Alchemist
#7 Old 15th Dec 2014 at 10:22 PM
Most definitely yes they can become corrupted. It's the biggest obstacle in a successful legacy challenge, IMO.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig