Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#476 Old 6th Feb 2015 at 12:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
Haha! Now that you describe them that way, you gotta wonder just who the game designers thought their audience was. *Sigh*, but the Sims has always had that "jock" and pop culture mentality.

Advertisement
Instructor
#477 Old 6th Feb 2015 at 1:03 AM
I'm pretty sure their desired audience is mentally-deficient 8 year olds.
Instructor
#478 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 4:25 PM
A failure for EA ? Indeed ? well ... their fault, their mistakes. For all the reasons described by gamers in the Receptacle ... and everywhere on the web :D

I make sims worlds ... can you believe it ?
Mad Poster
#479 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 4:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mondenkind
Graham was there? Ooooo! :lovestruc Thanks for the heads up!

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Forum Resident
#480 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 5:37 PM
So The Sims 4 is #2 in PC games on Amazon...I-I'm not so sure this is considered a failure...

My Simblr --->Glee & Squee
Field Researcher
#481 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 12:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by H.O.W
So The Sims 4 is #2 in PC games on Amazon...I-I'm not so sure this is considered a failure...

I love how you got disagrees on this post being that this is a factual statement. hahaha
Theorist
#482 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 1:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by alan650
I love how you got disagrees on this post being that this is a factual statement. hahaha

Not to mention that the very same people who are so embarassed to boast about their sales because they have "failed" are now rocking renders of themselves... Right?
Field Researcher
#483 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 1:50 AM

You do realize that most PC gamers buy their games on platforms such as Steam nowadays, right? And most of those people also avoid Origin?
Forum Resident
#484 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 2:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by alan650

Yeah, i'm not surprised at the disagrees though.

Quote: Originally posted by TMBrandon
Not to mention that the very same people who are so embarassed to boast about their sales because they have "failed" are now rocking renders of themselves... Right?

I said this before but EA has not bragged about sales numbers in a while. Not even for their Madden/Fifa series, so it seems they are taking a new approach towards that. All you see now is stuff like

"Over X amount of games played! Over X amount of houses created!" stuff like that, but yeah...I don't think Sims 4 is doing as bad as people think it is doing.

Quote: Originally posted by Ketsu_sama
You do realize that most PC gamers buy their games on platforms such as Steam nowadays, right? And most of those people also avoid Origin?

You have info to back this up? That the disparity between the different delivery platforms is so severe that whatever copies it sales on Amazon don't mean anything? The Sims 3 was mostly distributed through Amazon/Origin/Retail too, so I guess that is a knock against it as well. I guess this stands true for Dragon Age: Inquisition as well.

What I am saying is I'm not really sure how people can consider this a failure, they have little to no info to go on. Just seems like some people are hoping for it to fail and trying to fit every bit of info into that narrative. You don't know whether 500 copies being sold is why it is #2 or 500,000 copies of it. I sure do know one thing, if it was #79 or something it sure would be bought up.

People are saying it is a failure, I'm just waiting on that proof that it is. Just because people don't like it, doesn't mean it is a failure. People loved Twilight movies, oh and there is a huge group of people that hated them too...But they were not a failure because there was a huge group of people that loved them too.

Alchemist
#485 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 4:28 AM
Sales figures of The Sims 4 are in, and Maxis may have a problem on their hands. While series predecessor The Sims 3 sold 1.4 million physical copies in it’s first week, The Sims 4 has failed to match those sales figures nearly four months after it’s release.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1727241/si...DfiJfvYpXUE0.99

Bad news for Electronic Arts and Maxis. The sales figure for Sims 4 till 13th Dec 2014 are in and it doesn’t look very promising. While Sims 3 managed to sold 1.4 million copies in it’s first week, Sims 4 has pushed only 1.3 million copies so far, about three months after the game’s release. Of course, the bad press at EA and the presence of many game breaking bugs at launch had a large influence in this but ultimately it was the game’s half-hearted execution that sealed it’s fate.

Read more: http://www.jbgnews.com/2015/01/sims...l#ixzz3R7mslKq5
Forum Resident
#486 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 5:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
Sales figures of The Sims 4 are in, and Maxis may have a problem on their hands. While series predecessor The Sims 3 sold 1.4 million physical copies in it’s first week, The Sims 4 has failed to match those sales figures nearly four months after it’s release.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1727241/si...DfiJfvYpXUE0.99

Bad news for Electronic Arts and Maxis. The sales figure for Sims 4 till 13th Dec 2014 are in and it doesn’t look very promising. While Sims 3 managed to sold 1.4 million copies in it’s first week, Sims 4 has pushed only 1.3 million copies so far, about three months after the game’s release. Of course, the bad press at EA and the presence of many game breaking bugs at launch had a large influence in this but ultimately it was the game’s half-hearted execution that sealed it’s fate.

Read more: http://www.jbgnews.com/2015/01/sims...l#ixzz3R7mslKq5

Which are based on VGchartz information (which are dubious at best) and not counting digital sales of Origin or Amazon.

Theorist
#487 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 7:31 AM
Gosh I wish places would quit using VGchartz like they have real numbers to work with because they just don't. Additionally the numbers they do publish don't include digital distribution. Many of us wish EA would release the numbers but so far they haven't.
Mad Poster
#488 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 8:16 AM
People defending Sims 4 are using VGchartz to support the game is doing well. What does that mean for the other side?

Whether or not the game is considered a failure or success, those are not impressive numbers, not for a Sims game. Maybe there will be improvement by the 2nd or 3rd year because by that time, enough add-ons and EP will be released to look appealing to some players. I did say maybe.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Forum Resident
#489 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 8:44 AM
That is presuming the company WANTS to continue. They could just as easily give up in the first year and pretend that they have never made a Sims game after 3.

Avatar model: Shi Gaik Lan / Atroxia "Jade Orchid" Lion (Source: Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires).
The Four Stars (Table of Content)
Mekageddon, the Interactive Story. (Remake Discussion) (Dev Tumblr)
Mad Poster
#490 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 9:05 AM
Quote:
People are saying it is a failure, I'm just waiting on that proof that it is. Just because people don't like it, doesn't mean it is a failure. People loved Twilight movies, oh and there is a huge group of people that hated them too...But they were not a failure because there was a huge group of people that loved them too.

From what I've seen on the official forum, there are tons of people who are angry and disappointed at this game. That translates into a failure when there are threads such as this: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...flop-it-was-not that has people pretty vocal about what they don't like in this 'game'.

Remember, these people shelled out money for it, and they're the ones who should be crowing about how much they love it. That's the barometer of whether or not it's a failure or success: when the customers themselves say it is a failure in their own opinion and have played it.
Forum Resident
#491 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 10:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
People defending Sims 4 are using VGchartz to support the game is doing well. What does that mean for the other side?

Whether or not the game is considered a failure or success, those are not impressive numbers, not for a Sims game. Maybe there will be improvement by the 2nd or 3rd year because by that time, enough add-ons and EP will be released to look appealing to some players. I did say maybe.

Most of the people I see that use VGchartz do so to say it is a failure. Even so, VG Chartz can't be relied on for this stuff, they have been off before.

Quote: Originally posted by FranH
From what I've seen on the official forum, there are tons of people who are angry and disappointed at this game. That translates into a failure when there are threads such as this: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...flop-it-was-not that has people pretty vocal about what they don't like in this 'game'.

Remember, these people shelled out money for it, and they're the ones who should be crowing about how much they love it. That's the barometer of whether or not it's a failure or success: when the customers themselves say it is a failure in their own opinion and have played it.

The problem with this is that the internet has become a place where people go to complain...about anything. So that never surprises me.
Quote:
"Then I made the mistake of looking up people's opinions on the Internet. If your WiFi is down and you're ever curious what the Internet thinks about something you really like, just lean your head way back and spit upwards as hard as you can. Try to catch it in your open eye, if at all possible."

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-gamin.../#ixzz3R92Hnnh1

You want to see people complain about a game? World Of Warcraft, also known as one of the biggest hits ever (Blizzard makes billions off of it yearly...) those forums and that fanbase were 10x worse than most. If they were to be believed, World of Warcraft would have died literally years ago...yet it is still around. You can play the game and people will be in world chat complaining about how much they hate the game...while playing said game (That isn't even exclusive to WOW, that's a standard MMORPG feature). People complaining on the official forums or any forum about the game is not really uncommon at all, it's where most people would go because that's where they think they can be heard.

There are people that have paid and play it and love it just as well, but it is no secret that when people are angry they are loudest. There are billions of people in the world, I'm sure there are tons of people that hate the TS4, I know there are tons of people that hate The Sims period. But if you take 10 million people and 6 million hate TS4 and 4 Million love it, that's still a load of people that love the game. That's kind of my point, just because a forum is negative against something, doesn't mean it represents how everyone feels on it. It would be like taking a political survey at a college campus, that data can't then be extrapolated into "This is how most people feel in the country."

Or a video game example. NFL Madden Series. There has to be MILLIONS of gamers that hate Madden games with a passion. Doesn't matter because there are millions of gamers that love it. How many people post on these forums daily? How much of a % do you think that makes of the game? I have a tumblr, I know plenty of people that seem to be enjoying the game, at least an equal amount. So I can't see forum opinions as being the tell all.

If 2 years from now they are still releasing GPs and EPs then the game was a success, maybe not to you and that's fine. Just like some people never jumped onto TS3 and stuck with TS2.

Mad Poster
#492 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 10:48 AM
Just seems like some people are hoping for it to fail and trying to fit every bit of info into that narrative.
I can't hit the agree button enough. I see posts and "agrees" or "disagrees" based on what people want to have happen or what they believe and not based on facts or larger perspectives. It's one reason I don't frequent this section of MTS as much anymore.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Forum Resident
#493 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 11:13 AM
@H.O.W. It goes both ways, though. I posted something that could disprove one of the comments you made over and over again and you didn't react at all. I don't disagree with you "through" the disagree button that much, just when you say something without factual prove. Can't disagree with you about the amazon thing, although i don't think it means it is a sales success.
Forum Resident
#494 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 6:13 PM
@H.O.W. It goes both ways, though. I posted something that could disprove one of the comments you made over and over again and you didn't react at all. I don't disagree with you "through" the disagree button that much, just when you say something without factual prove. Can't disagree with you about the amazon thing, although i don't think it means it is a sales success.

What did you post? You mean you posted something after my Amazon comment? If so I don't see it, I know I didn't block you or anything or maybe it was moved to the receptacle?

Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
I can't hit the agree button enough. I see posts and "agrees" or "disagrees" based on what people want to have happen or what they believe and not based on facts or larger perspectives. It's one reason I don't frequent this section of MTS as much anymore.

Aww, i do remember you posting a lot more frequently. I do think that people do that though, for some reason people want things to fit their opinion. You saw this with the Nintendo Wii. A lot of gamers didn't like it, it wasn't traditional and wasn't aimed at them. Some people will tell you that it was a failure but they are completely wrong as it outsold both PS3 and Xbox 360.

"I don't like TS4." is an opinion of course, so it can't be proven. I think with games that the closest thing that comes to proof to some people is watching a game fail.

Forum Resident
#495 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 8:35 PM
@H.O.W.
No this one, it is just from a page ago :

I don't know if that has been posted before, but @everyone who thinks the Game Time is no act of desperation/has nothing to do with The Sims 4 selling bad because they already did this with other succesful titles:

http://simsvip.com/2015/02/02/the-s...ame-time-users/

Is it also normal to get a 33 % discount after playing the games for free on origin? And remember that this game is not even a year old .

I love how you just assumed it got moved to THe Receptacle Don't know if this says something about me being to snarky towards you or something about how this forum is organized...

Edit: Just a thing, this discount has nothing to do with the birthday discount. I don't want to say that you'll probably bring this up, just saw that excuse at some other pages.
Forum Resident
#496 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 9:00 PM
@H.O.W.
No this one, it is just from a page ago :

I love how you just assumed it got moved to THe Receptacle Don't know if this says something about me being to snarky towards you or something about how this forum is organized...

Edit: Just a thing, this discount has nothing to do with the birthday discount. I don't want to say that you'll probably bring this up, just saw that excuse at some other pages.

I thought maybe it was moved to the receptacle because of how the forums are, i've never thought you were snarky towards me.

As for the sale, I don't know what that means, you can say it is desperation but it could just be marketing. We don't know the line at where EA feels "Okay, this is too low, if we sell each unit at this price it's useless and we won't see much profit if any at all." so it is hard to say. Selling it at $40 could still be suitable enough for them just as well though.

Remember how I always say that if you want to send EA a message to not buy the game? Not even when it is on sale? EA could still be making a profit with the Sims 33% off. I said once before that the game isn't $60 but they know they can charge that starting off and always put it on "Sale" later, it's smart business sense to do so. It's the same as when you are negotiating something you are trying to sale. You start off high at $60 knowing that you'll be happy to sell it at $40.

Here is what I predict will happen. TS4 will remain (go back to) at full price until around a week or so before GTW EP. GTW EP will release at $40 of course and TS4 will be down to around $40 it'self. It's not because of it's not selling well, it's because they know some people will go "Hmm, that EP looks like fun but I need the full game to play." and end up buying both and giving them $80 (And they will also put the GP on sale too...). I'm betting they will happily sell GTW at $30 (maybe even $20) when the 2nd EP releases. Something about sales that get people to spend because they feel they are limited time offers.

Every time something new comes out for the sims, previous titles go on sale. This is no coincidence (and happened all throughout TS2-TS3 lifespan), I bought all my TS3 stuff on sale because I knew whenever a new EP came out i could get the previous ones for up to as much as %50 off sometimes.

Even so, selling things digitally allow companies to have sales like this because they cut out the middleman. The game Divinity: Original Sin is also on sale and not a year old and it to some was Game of the Year. Thanks to digital distribution, gamers get a ton of sales. I've seen Origin have plenty of sales for all it's games too.

Test Subject
#497 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 9:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40

And the other excuse is "That doesn't include digital downloads! Most people buy digital!!!"
Theorist
#498 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 9:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ForgotMehPasswordAgain
And the other excuse is "That doesn't include digital downloads! Most people buy digital!!!"

That's because most people do buy digital now...
Test Subject
#499 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 10:00 PM
On the official forum, in the GTW category (the new EP), there are only 11 pages of threads, and the EP was announced 4 days ago.

Raging success!!

Oh but there will be excuses made for this as well...
Theorist
#500 Old 9th Feb 2015 at 6:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ForgotMehPasswordAgain

This isn't an excuse but a reality. Even people who bought the "physical" version of the game still had to download it. A lot of people didn't realize this when they bought the boxed version of the game. Even if we knew the exact number of "physical" copies bought it's not an accurate indication of how many copies have been sold in total.

Oh, and in case you haven't noticed I don't defend TS4 or EAxis for what I think are ridiculous decisions with this game. It's just that EAxis hasn't said squat about the number of sales and without that we're in the dark.
Page 20 of 22