Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Apr 2014 at 6:42 PM
Default What is going on with my cabinets?
Taking a break from trying to get my shaders to show up on the fish tank by starting another project, and once again, I need help. I hate that the Maxis cabinets are the same size as the countertops, it just looks weird and wrong. So I decided to slim down a set of cabinets and make them about half their depth, so it looked more natural. I tried doing this two ways: first I tried making a modular object through s3oc/s3pe, and after that didn't look right, I tried making it through TSRW, and that didn't look right either.

The first picture shows what's wrong with the cabinets made with S3OC/S3PE -- it almost looks like there's two tiny holes in the mesh (which there isn't), and while it's kind of hard to tell without a side by side comparison, something is wrong with the texture, it has weird, grainy grooves in it. Plus, the corner cabinet looks all wrong. I fixed what was wrong with the corner cabinet mesh in the TSRW version, but that resulted in the texture getting stretched out, and I imagine the same would happen with this version too.

The second picture shows what's wrong with the cabinets made with TSRW. I. Don't even know what's going on here, but something is horribly, horribly messed up (the same thing happened when I tried to slim down Omegastarr82's overhead cabinets to match my slimmed down cabinets...)

The third picture shows what both versions look like in TSRW -- they look perfect, so I can't even begin to guess what's happening to them in game. I attached both the files in the zip, in case that helps anyone figure out what's going on. Thank you so much in advance if you can help me!!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Cabinets.rar (142.1 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 15th Apr 2014 at 11:51 PM
if you want to scale down objects that use a normalmap you have to delete the normalmap.
Both TSRW and S3OC can not import multiple UV's
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Apr 2014 at 1:36 AM
Ahhh, thanks Bloom! I didn't think that the normals would be a problem, but after getting rid of the normal maps, everything seems to be fixed! I'm glad that was such a quick fix, that's a relief.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Apr 2014 at 2:48 AM
Well, I spoke too soon, the normal maps were an easy fix... but the uv maps for the corner piece is still messed up. I tried looking at the uv map in milkshape and oof, it is a mess. It doesn't even have the shapes it's supposed to have, they're that distorted. Is there any way to get some program to export the uv map correctly?
Sockpuppet
#5 Old 16th Apr 2014 at 9:31 AM
Some objectmeshes have their uvcoordinates outside the uvmap wich will give the distortions if not imported correct.
Been a while since i did objects but i thought they fixed the import issues on these.

Wat i did in the past is to scale my uvcoordinates alot smaller till they fit the map.
Then import the mesh in tsrw.
After that you can scale the coordinates back in the material settings.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Apr 2014 at 2:06 PM
I don't think it's an issue with importing though, I think it's an issue with exporting them -- the first picture is what the corner piece's uv map looks like in Milkshape, and the second one is what the regular cabinet looks like. The corner one has the locations and the sizes and even some of the shapes all wrong, and trying to pick it apart just made it worse. I don't think that scaling it down and importing it in tsrw would help because they already seem to fit in the map, just not the way they're supposed to...
Screenshots