Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#351 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 6:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kattenijin
Eve was Adams second wife BTW, his first was Lilith. The reason Adam and Lilith separated? Lilith refused to be subordinate to Adam, she insisted on being his equal.

Wow I've never heard of Lilith. So what happened to her? I bet she was smote, they were all smote back then!

Quote: Originally posted by kattenijin
There would have been another burst of incest after the flood, as only Noah's family survived, 8 people.

Only 8 people.... but plenty of animals
Advertisement
Scholar
#352 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 6:54 AM
She fled Eden, and became a succubus. She seduces unwary men, then savagely kills the children she bears for them.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Instructor
#353 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 7:16 AM
Great moral of the story there.
Forum Resident
#354 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 10:43 AM
Quote:
Wow I've never heard of Lilith. So what happened to her? I bet she was smote, they were all smote back then!

Yuppers. It was probably a smiting. There was a lot of that back then. Maybe it was a drive-by smite.

I've heard different versions of the Lilith story. One is that she was punished for refusing to be on the bottom, missionary style. The other is that she just flat out turned Adam down for sex. Any way, though, they didn't hit it off. None of the Lilith stuff is mentioned in the Bible, although it is discussed many places in Talmud.

Ohhh... okay, through Google we find this, how nice, translated from the Hebrew AlphabetBenSira into English:

http://jewishchristianlit.com/Topic...h/alphabet.html

Quote:
"The angels who are in charge of medicine: Snvi, Snsvi, and Smnglof. After God created Adam, who was alone, He said, 'It is not good for man to be alone' (Gen. 2:18). He then created a woman for Adam, from the earth, as He had created Adam himself, and called her Lilith. Adam and Lilith began to fight. She said, 'I will not lie below,' and he said, 'I will not lie beneath you, but only on top. For you are fit only to be in the bottom position, while am to be in the superior one.' Lilith responded, 'We are equal to each other inasmuch as we were both created from the earth.' But they would not listen to one another. When Lilith saw this, she pronounced the Ineffable Name and flew away into the air. Adam stood in prayer before his Creator: 'Sovereign of the universe!' he said, 'the woman you gave me has run away.' At once, the Holy One, blessed be He, sent these three angels to bring her back.

"Said the Holy One to Adam, 'If she agrees to come back, fine. If not she must permit one hundred of her children to die every day.' The angels left God and pursued Lilith, whom they overtook in the midst of the sea, in the mighty waters wherein the Egyptians were destined to drown. They told her God's word, but she did not wish to return. The angels said, 'We shall drown you in the sea.'

"'Leave me!' she said. 'I was created only to cause sickness to infants. If the infant is male, I have dominion over him for eight days after his birth, and if female, for twenty days.'

"When the angels heard Lilith's words, they insisted she go back. But she swore to them by the name of the living and eternal God: 'Whenever I see you or your names or your forms in an amulet, I will have no power over that infant.' She also agreed to have one hundred of her children die every day. Accordingly, every day one hundred demons perish, and for the same reason, we write the angels' names on the amulets of young children. When Lilith sees their names, she remembers her oath, and the child recovers."

See all the cool stuff you miss if you only read the Old and New Testament?

I also have a very nice book somewhere around here, probably in a box, called Lilith's Cave: Jewish Folktales of the Supernatural. Many of the tales in it are ancient legends passed down orally through the generations, some of them revolving around Lilith. Very cool book.
Lab Assistant
#355 Old 4th Feb 2010 at 12:00 AM
Quote:
See all the cool stuff you miss if you only read the Old and New Testament?

I also have a very nice book somewhere around here, probably in a box, called Lilith's Cave: Jewish Folktales of the Supernatural. Many of the tales in it are ancient legends passed down orally through the generations, some of them revolving around Lilith. Very cool book.

That does sound really cool.

My father (who is an atheist) recently recommended the scholar's annotated edition of The Complete Gospels, from The Jesus Seminar, to me. It contains both new translations of the canonical gospels, along with the more "controversial" non-canonical gospels, and "sayings" gospels. I've not yet had the time to pick up a copy, but from what I understand, some of the included texts fill in the "missing years" of Jesus' life. Especially fascinating to me were the stories he recounted of a very young Jesus making a clay dove fly away and raising another child from the dead.

As I'm not familiar with the Jesus Seminar or the contents of the collection, I don't really have an opinion on their validity or relevance for practicing Christians. Still, even those who take the view of the Bible as lore would probably find lots to interest them...my dad seems to, anyway.
Instructor
#356 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 6:08 AM
Im not really a Christian, but I respect Jesus - I think the stories and messages that he tried to get across are beautiful. He was never anti-gay/religion/anyone.

The rest of the bible, utter trash and crowd-control myths (Most of it a horrible case of Chinese-whispers (Sometimes purposely ddited to suit then Christian values) from Ancient stories, (I particularly like Lilith) put together by a council of Romans on the deathbed of the last Pagan Emperor.

Well that's what happens when you're on your own and you're alright at letting nice things go

Page 15 of 15