Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 9:30 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business
Default Catalogue Crash. Any ideas?
Hello, I'm wondering if one or more of you folks here might be able to help me to remove a problem with my game, a problem which has arisen for the first time today.

I've downloaded some re-coloured objects today - ALL of them adult paintings, except for the Gibson double-necked guitar(which is listed under paintings in the catalogue) - and this evening, as I went to flick through my catalogue of paintings, the game crashed, returning an error message saying "The application has crashed. The application will now terminate."

I've removed all the paintings I've downloaded today, and the guitar, and put them in another folder inside of The Sims 2(ie. NEXT DOOR to "downloads") but the game is still crashing, with the same error, when I flick through my paintings.

Now it wasn't doing it yesterday, so it MUST be one of the paintings I've DL'd today, surely? Yet, if they're all now lifted out, shouldn't it work again ok?

Can anyone help here?

I'd be most grateful.

Many thanks.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 9:55 PM
What i know, the game "finds" the objects even if theyre in subfolders inside the downloads folder. Best bet is to move em all out and add one at the time to see which one is causing the prob.

C-66
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 10:17 PM Last edited by Thraxwhirl : 16th Feb 2005 at 10:43 PM.
Sadly, Crom, they're not in subfolders of "downloads", they're outside of it altogether. I've already lifted them into folders PARALLEL to "Downloads", rather than inside it, and the damned thing still crashes.

The paintings I CAN access go as far to the right(ie. in rising cost) as "Bella squared"($1,000) and then the Aspiration/Motives painting($1,500). One of the next 10 is crashing it... but I've removed all the paintings I've DLed today, and it definitely wasn't crashing yesterday.

Edit: Now, this is significant, though I'm almost certainly telling you folks something that all the experienced Modders already know....

...By lifting all of today's paintings out of my "The Sims 2" folder ALTOGETHER(not just out of "Downloads"), the game works fine. SO... it seems that the game, when in "Buy" Mode, actually checks EVERY subfolder of not just "Downloads" and all those within it, but all PARALLEL as well.

As I say, all you experienced modders probably knew that already, but for those of us new to the game(especially me), this information is very important...

...IN SHORT, *IF* you suspect a Hack or Object Re-colour of messing up your game, don't just extract it from "Downloads" but lift it RIGHT OUT of "Sims 2" altogether... otherwise the game will still find it.

I'm now gonna start popping my new paintings of today BACK IN 1-by-1, and testing it, until I find the culprit.

My SUSPICION is that it's the Gibson Guitar, but I'll soon know...

...and in the interests of Beta Testing, I'll post my findings.

Further Edit: Yup, as I suspected originally, it's the Gibson Double-necked Guitar. I thought it might be from the start, because in the thread where it's posted, other users said it gave this error... however, the creator of the re-coloured object reckoned it was fixed in its current update, but I DL'ed it just a few hours ago, and MY PC at least can't handle it.

Right, I'm off to find the Gibson thread and report this crash.

TTFN! :D
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 9:39 AM
I found that when I renamed a *.package file to *.bak within the downloads folder the game would also find the object and put it in the game.