Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#151 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 7:07 AM
When are you planning on posting round 2? I am curious to see what we are getting next.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#152 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 7:21 AM
I was waiting to see how long the judges might take/giving judge one longer due to moving house, but Karen, the emergency judge is going to take over for judge 1 this round. Probably in 2-3 days? I don't want the judges to be overwelled which can happen if rounds are posted right after each other.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#153 Old 10th Jun 2018 at 8:48 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 10th Jun 2018 at 10:16 AM.
Default Round 1 - Play-along - Ajay Loner

Ajay required "a masculine home and a way to make money". He toyed with the idea turning the basement into a dungeon and abducting Sims and holding them for ransom there. But he decided he's not like that, and anyway there's more than enough of that sort of thing going on in Strangetown already. But there doesn't seem to be a hairdresser in Strangetown yet, do he'd open a barber's shop in his house and earn an honest Simoleon that way. When he couldn't find anyone selling barbers' poles, he decided to paint the whole front of the ground floor in the red and white of the traditional pole. That would be a good way to advertise his business.

Required Pictures

Additional Pictures

Mistakes
Late on, when Ajay was moving in, I spotted a couple of mistakes which might have cost me points (if the judges spotted them) had I been a proper contestant. There was no light fitting in the upstairs bathroom -- I'd simply forgotten it. I also omitted 3 panels of wall covering in Ajay's bedroom. As I was so near the financial limit, I couldn't fix these within the budget. I could of course have managed it by replacing some item of furniture with a cheaper alternative, but this entry was late enough already! Ajay fixed both problems the next day.

I apologise for being so very late. With hindsight it was a mistake to try to makeover this house and help Andrew with Jones's Outfit of the Day challenge at the same time, when I also have quite a few Real Life commitments. As Andrew keeps telling me, I'm hopeless at managing my time.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#154 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 3:36 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 11th Jun 2018 at 8:16 AM.
Yah, another play along. Thanks @AndrewGloria :D

Okay I was going to post the next round, but I'm not feeling so great so I will try later tonight (my tonight) If not I will post it tomorrow.

Round Two is posted!

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#155 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 9:06 AM
I had a feeling it was going to be that house at some point Am I correct in saying we only have to leave the outside walls, and can remove the pillars/stairs/weirdness on the roof?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#156 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 9:15 AM
That's right. Just leave the walls in red, the rest is fair game.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#157 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 10:26 AM Last edited by Justpetro : 11th Jun 2018 at 10:42 AM.
Default Tips for contestants
Here are some ideas from me that contestants can keep in mind:

1. Let the outside and the inside of the houses complement each other. Some of your lots have carried the outside theme over to the inside very well. While you are probably not going to lose points if yo don't do this, it may be a factor when we get to a tiebreaker.
2. Use ground cover. Not only is it free, it can really make a garden outside interesting. Not only does it make plants look better if you put some garden soil or dirt underneath them, ground cover also make nice footpaths.
3.Remember to leave enough space for Sims, especially around dining tables.
4. Try to avoid large rooms with very little in it. Either make the rooms smaller of try to fill it. While the budget is tough, the career rewards are free.
5.Remember to add something for each Sim. A child certainly has to have at least one toy or something to show off his/her hobby/interests.
6. Turn a very ugly space (the basement) into a beautiful, workable living area. Even if you are allowed to ignore the basement, some contestants did spectacular work down there which can NOT be ignored :
7. Make the back of the lot pretty too!

Here are some pics from contestants for inspiration. Believe me, there were many, many more, so I can't post all of them.

1, Try to make a stunning roof, but if you can't, make a neat one. Flat roofs can work too, especially with a god-looking edging.

2. Make use of wallpaper. And use a fence sometimes.

3. Use plants and pretty stairs

4, Use colour and a funky chair

5.Use the available space, including the area around the building:
Screenshots
Test Subject
#158 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 11:47 AM
Thank you for the helpful tips Justpetro! And thank you for posting the next round JoanandSarah! I have a hard time deciding if I choose the Grunt family or the Single Ladies family. I look forward to start building!
Field Researcher
#159 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 12:19 PM
That's a nice big footprint, so suitable for a larger household. I think I will use the Smiths.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#160 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 3:29 PM
Mad Poster
#161 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 4:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
May I suggest you leave each round in the original post, rather than removing it altogether? Maybe hide in spoiler tag?
I'm really posting to express my agreement. Since it's a Maxis building, you can of course see the original in Strangetown. And I actually have a copy of that building on its original form in my Lot Catalogue if that helps anyone. The main thing that's missing now is the price. The limit is §40,000.

HugeLunatic, I'm sure Jo will still welcome you to Round 1 as a play-along. From your previous posts, it seems that you've already done a lot of work on that house, and it would be a shame not to let us see it. Please join us in the play-along table.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#162 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 4:17 PM
I agree as well - it is something that should stay for anyone who wants to look at the contest later too.
Instructor
#163 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 4:53 PM
I also agree. It will be easier for anyone who wants to look at this contest halfway or when it is done.

Looking forward for our next reno! EDIT: Actually, never mind, I see it has already been posted. That house... Another tough one, but I think we'll see some great makeovers from every contestant.
Also, I've just installed a new camera mod which allows me to take better pictures. Yay! I think I will build this lot from scratch, in case I feel like sharing it after the contest's over.

And Justpetro, great advices!
Mad Poster
#164 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 5:25 PM
While you are building, I will take the judges and Jo drinking
Top Secret Researcher
#165 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 9:42 PM
Good luck on the next round everyone. I look forward to some spectacular makeovers.
(I think one of the reasons I didn't get into Strangetown was that I didn't like any of the houses and couldn't be bothered making them over.)
Now I'm off to the bar.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#166 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 10:50 PM
I took it away so that it wouldn't get messy underneath the post because of Modyourpanties being down, but I can put them back.

~Call me Jo~
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#167 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 12:38 PM Last edited by simsample : 18th Jun 2018 at 7:03 PM. Reason: 18 July- Found a giant hamster wheel!
Default Beaker Family 2 Cover Up Road

Hello, I'm Loki Beaker, and boy has it been a strange few weeks! I seem to have lost my memory- my wife has too- so we are not really sure where we are or what we are supposed to be doing. We were assigned a new home, and we've been busy remodelling it to suit our tastes- or at least, what we feel our tastes might be.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#168 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 12:42 PM
Cool stuff simsample I love the windmill on the roof! :D

Scores should be posted sometime later tomorrow-my tomorrow. Right now it's 9.40 pm and I have about half done.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#169 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 2:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
That's right. Just leave the walls in red, the rest is fair game.

Thanks Jo! I might try to work in some of the columns but I'm very glad not to be stuck with that roof!
Mad Poster
#170 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 2:55 PM
Circe's pet!

I will look at your great work later, @simsample, first I have to stop laughing.
Forum Resident
#171 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 7:00 PM
just droppin' by to let you guys know I'm alive and well--well intrigued by this new contest!
strangetown is a place I really didn't like form the get go so it's interesting to see all these creative takes on those ...bothersome (for me) structures!

man I have a lot to catch up on
Mad Poster
#172 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 7:25 PM
Hi, @kanzen, you are always welcome at the fermented fruit juice bar
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#173 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 11:41 PM
I am doing up the rest of the score tables today, I hope your bar is open petro!

~Call me Jo~
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#174 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 6:54 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 14th Jun 2018 at 6:08 AM.
Application/Round 1 Judging Scores and Comments

Notes from Judge 1
General
I have deducted half a point where I thought applicable in every category across the board; and where I had to, I gave the better entry more points (because some of you did a lot of things right, but other contestants just did it better). That narrow entrance has playability issues and you should have moved it. If there is no other entry/exit door on that floor, you made the playability issues worse.
The landscaping was a bit disappointing — the rules say you can change the terrain. It is a requirement to give something to every sim living in the house and some of you forgot to do that.
Credit to those who remember to put lights outside.

Dining chairs and tables need space around them to be used by sims without playability issues. There should really be one tile around the table and the chairs, especially if you use more than 2 chairs.
Some of you have done everything right, but other contestants just did it better 😊

Notes from Jo
Due to comments being in a table I had to remove all comma's (they create cells)
For grid free photos click either the 3 dots or the swatch tool.
Take plenty of photos and get in close with floor plans so that the judges can see everything easily.
Don't forget the needs of each family.
I will be adding comments later, but for now on with the scores!

~Call me Jo~
Space Pony
#175 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 11:36 AM
Thank you judges for the scores and comments.

@Justpetro , I would very much hope to have a cold Fanta with ice from the bar? I have planted so many roses up there near the sky at the ex Curious house that Í have no desire to have rosewine, maybe ever again :P

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

Page 7 of 25