Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 5:56 AM
Default Representing mental syndromes with traits
Have you tried to represent well-known mental or neurological syndromes with the available traits?

Here are some of my ideas:

Asperger's syndrome: Perfectionist, genius, loner, inappropriate
Tourette's syndrome: Inappropriate, neurotic

Others?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 6:01 AM
Yeah. I noticed that! Asperger's Syndrome can also have over-emotional for some. (I have it.)
#3 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 6:04 AM
Interesting, I've actually thought about it too. I was trying to recreate Marcia Cross's character on Desperate Housewives who had obsessive compulsive disorder and gave here these traits:

Neat, Perfectionist, Neurotic

And also I think the Kleptomaniac trait can speak for itself. Then there's bi-polar disorder which could be a combination of:

Grumpy, Excited and Over-Emotional
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 8:39 PM
ADHD: Daredevil, Hot-headed, Over-emotional
Instructor
#5 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 8:54 PM
Actually, I'd suggest not putting daredevil for ADHD. I have ADHD, and, well, I do not take extreme showers.
#6 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 11:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by astrognash
Actually, I'd suggest not putting daredevil for ADHD. I have ADHD, and, well, I do not take extreme showers.

lol...but who does, right? Silly EA adding "Extreme" to everything that a Daredevil sim does.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 11:21 PM
Dementia: Absent-minded, Clumsy, Slob
Test Subject
#8 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 10:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Angstrom
Have you tried to represent well-known mental or neurological syndromes with the available traits?

Others?

Clinical depression- neurotic, excitable, perfectionist, 'lazy' *NOT! the depression affects one's ability to clean!, slob *NOT! it also makes it almost impossible to maintain proper hygiene..

No, When I made my simself, who is much younger, bluer and taller than I am- I didnt give her those traits.. lol
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 9:45 PM
Megalomania: Evil, Snob
Test Subject
#10 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 4:33 PM
Default Why not a mod?
Honestly, I find it surprising that someone hasn't posted and said "Making fun of mental disorders isn't funny."
But I have several, including ADHD, but if someone can make a joke that isn't the same "Ooh a butterfly," and it's funny then I'll laugh.

Anyway, just thinking that someone should definitely make a mod that gives mental disorders as traits. It would save you spots so you can give your character other personality traits as well.
Until then though, we'll have to make do.
I agree that Daredevil should be kept with ADHD because I love doing stupid and dangerous things. I feel like absent minded could be swapped for daredevil if your looking for a more ADD kind of effect. I think aspbergers is spot-on too.

OCD: Neurotic, Neat
Depression: Over Emotional, Couch Potato,
Instructor
#11 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 4:50 PM

Others?

Also you could pick a fifth trait for Asperger's from this list
Artistic(any of the more specific artistic traits would work as well), computer whiz, handy, or Virtuoso.
Because Aspergers syndrome is typically associated with savantism
And Music, art, electronics, and work concerning mechanics are several of the ways savantism presents itself.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 6:19 PM
Oh, this thread's from July 2009? Huh. I'm also surprised no one said it was tasteless before now! Ah well.

The problem with trying to make a bipolar sim is that the traits would be completely different for manic and depressed phases. Grumpy, Excited and Over-Emotional wouldn't do it at all, because when you're manic you're not grumpy, and when you're depressed you're not excited. If you wanted to do it properly, you'd have to use a hack that allows you to change traits in the middle of the game to show the switch from manic to depressed. I just generally figure that sims in Sims 3 have good medication, since there isn't a Psychiatrist any more .

(Ancient) Sims 2 stories | Adventurous, Bookworm, Eco-Friendly, Genius, Over-Emotional
Test Subject
#13 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 7:29 PM
Megalomania: Evil, Snob

ThereĀ“s a megalomaniac trait on The Sims 3 TM for Nintendo Wii TM
Alchemist
#14 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 8:39 PM
do personality disorders count?

sociopath: charismatic, snob, adventurous, hot headed, flirty.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Forum Resident
#15 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 8:46 PM
Histrionic: Dramatic, snob, over emotional, flirty
transmogrified
retired moderator
#16 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 9:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 1-ceth
Honestly, I find it surprising that someone hasn't posted and said "Making fun of mental disorders isn't funny."

Possibly because nobody's making fun of them? It's an interesting exercise to map the features available in the game to real-world anything.
Theorist
#17 Old 3rd Mar 2011 at 5:03 AM
Psychopath: Genius, evil, charismatic, friendly
Test Subject
#18 Old 3rd Mar 2011 at 10:10 AM
Dementia: Absent-minded, Clumsy, Slob

Why would you make a sim who has dementia? If someone did that it would be kind of cruel. I know it isn't really dementia but I mean, come on. It is like making fun of them, because you would make your sim do dumb things in-game.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 3rd Mar 2011 at 10:35 AM Last edited by kiatyn : 3rd Mar 2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: typo.
Quote: Originally posted by aykyle
Why would you make a sim who has dementia? If someone did that it would be kind of cruel. I know it isn't really dementia but I mean, come on. It is like making fun of them, because you would make your sim do dumb things in-game.

Maybe you have a different game than I do. My sims do dumb things all the time.

I don't see this as ridiculing anyone. I make many of my sims based on the people I know. I'm not making fun of them; in a way, I am trying to immortalize them. My mom, and grandma, for example, who have passed away.

And I cannot think of a single mental condition other than borderline personality disorder (which is remarkably close to bipolar, at least in the sims!)
Retired
retired moderator
#20 Old 3rd Mar 2011 at 11:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aykyle

This assumes that (a) there is nothing tragicomic about dementia, but I think that's part of the tragedy - sometimes dementia can be terrible and funny at the same time. My grandfather suffered dementia and used to burst out with nuggets like "It behoves a man to be exceedingly careful!" for no reason whatsoever (b) there is nothing sad, touching or moving about watching Sims fail at life.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Banned
#21 Old 3rd Mar 2011 at 11:25 AM
Which mental syndrome is represented with "never nude" trait?
Field Researcher
#22 Old 3rd Mar 2011 at 1:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lance

Maybe one which has to do something with low self-esteem and body picture disturbance (? I don't know what the proper translation is, but I'm thinking about anorexia and similar things).
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 3rd Mar 2011 at 3:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lance

"Tobias Funke" syndrome

ETA: The neurotic trait is quite effective for OCD, my neurotic sims often roll wants to check the stove and brush their teeth 3 times.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 3rd Mar 2011 at 7:24 PM
I enjoy the insane trait, maybe others might see me that way. I don't think I am insane, but I don't see a problem going to a formal event in PJs. They would be fancy and stylish, gorgeous loungewear, and the shoes would be dressy. If the event is a snoozer, then I am comfortable enough to fall asleep. The only thing that bothers me about socials for the insane trait, they call telling the truth insults. Maybe that person's mom does look like a llama. I know telling the truth all the time may be a no-no, but wouldn't you appreciate someone who will not lie to you when you ask how I look? Hey, the truth may hurt, but you will not leave home looking like an idiot.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Instructor
#25 Old 3rd Mar 2011 at 7:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mangaroo
Possibly because nobody's making fun of them? It's an interesting exercise to map the features available in the game to real-world anything.

I agree I wasn't making fun of anyone and I don't think the rest of the people were either. Sims are like people and a percent of people have mental disorders (including me and my brother) and its nice to accuratly represnt these people in game. its the same as when I try to make my comunitys have variety of people including diffrent ethnictys, personalitys, sexual prefeances, and sanity levels. It keeps the games relistic and interesting.
Locked thread | Locked by: Greenplumbbob Reason: trying to avoid a thread apocalypse :P - Dead threads should stay dead ;)
Page 1 of 3