Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 12:30 AM Last edited by pikeman101 : 6th Apr 2016 at 3:44 AM.
Default The Toilet Topic
I've recently been reminded of two issues that rear their heads every once in awhile:

1) Should toilet paper be rolled over or under the holder?

Image, to display the difference:

2) Should men put the seat down after urinating, should women put the seat up after urinating, or should nobody move it after urinating?

To start the debate, I would say the toilet paper should be rolled over for three main reasons:

1) So that the toilet paper is as close as possible.
2) So that the person will never touch the wall while grabbing the paper.
3) So that the paper can be ripped with one hand, while still on the toilet (using a knee and a hand), without pulling out the whole roll.

I would also say that everyone should be responsible for moving the toilet seat to fit their needs before urinating, then leaving the seat as it is, this way the expectation for men and women is completely equal. Men put the toilet seat up to pee, women put it down to pee.

Thoughts?
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 12:42 AM
You're worrying about which way round to hang the bog roll for hygiene reasons when you leave the toilet cover up to flush?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#3 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 3:15 AM
1: Over. Under is just annoying, because it sticks to the wall, and you can't get a good grip on it.

2: I currently live in a house with 4 men, and 9 out of 10 times I find the toilet ring up. It's SO annoying! It also looks ugly... And seriously, if men can't hit the slightly less giant hole with the toilet ring down, it's their problem. At least they have something to aim with, unlike us girls... If it was up to me, the toilet ring would be glued on, so the boys would be forced to practice their aim. As for the toilet lid, take it down while flushing ('cause hygiene) and take it back up ('cause if you're in a hurry, you're in a hurry).
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 3:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
1: Over. Under is just annoying, because it sticks to the wall, and you can't get a good grip on it.

2: I currently live in a house with 4 men, and 9 out of 10 times I find the toilet ring up. It's SO annoying! It also looks ugly... And seriously, if men can't hit the slightly less giant hole with the toilet ring down, it's their problem. At least they have something to aim with, unlike us girls... If it was up to me, the toilet ring would be glued on, so the boys would be forced to practice their aim. As for the toilet lid, take it down while flushing ('cause hygiene) and take it back up ('cause if you're in a hurry, you're in a hurry).

As a response to 2: aim isn't always the issue. See, the hole in the penis isn't always oriented the same way, so there needs to be room for error. Most often, when I attempt to urinate while standing, the urine goes in an off-direction, so I need to readjust my aim. With the toilet seat up, that initial error isn't a problem, but with the toilet seat down, it wouldn't be pretty. Just because you've got a water gun and aimed it properly doesn't mean it'll shoot straight if the internal parts aren't aligned.

Men definitely need the seat up to pee while standing. I've yet to read anything suggesting major hygienic problems resulting from flushing with the toilet seat up and, based on the looks of most unisex washrooms, leaving the lid up is common for women, too.
Theorist
#5 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 4:23 AM
Fact: Most of the time my toilet paper resides upright on the back of the commode because when you go through paper like we do there's really no point in getting poncy with things. It gets speared on a roll for company, but 90% of the time it's every ass for itself.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 5:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pikeman101
Men definitely need the seat up to pee while standing. I've yet to read anything suggesting major hygienic problems resulting from flushing with the toilet seat up and, based on the looks of most unisex washrooms, leaving the lid up is common for women, too.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201..._n_1182966.html

Toilets typically spray water droplets into the air. This includes onto any nearby surfaces or anything on those surfaces. So, where do you keep your toothbrush? If you leave it out on the counter and leave the lid up, then you're getting fecal germs on your toothbrush.

Since you're concerned with fairness, then this should be fair: everyone puts the seat and lid down. Women put the lid up and down, men put the seat up and down. Your manly muscles should be enough to compensate for the extra weight of the seat. Also, nobody gets poop water on their toothbrush.

My MTS writing group, The Story Board
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 6:43 AM
You're obviously male as only a male would even entertain the idea that it's okay to leave the seat up. You do this as you have no comprehension of what it's like to go to the toilet half asleep at 2am and find yourself sitting on the porcelain, perhaps even with some pee on it from the male that left the lid up. try it once, preferably when you are half asleep, in winter with pee on that rim. After that you will know why woman ask men to flip the seat down.

As to paper, over of course.

I would never have toothbrushes in the same room as a toilet.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#8 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 8:58 AM
I've had my toiletries in a toiletry purse for the past 12 years (because a shared bathroom has its downsides), far away from the toilet, and lately I've usually kept my toothbrush in the original package (washing it before and after use, and changing it regularly) so I don't have that problem. Before that, I had it in a closed cabinet. But I do know of people who on occasion leave their toothbrush in the shower or lying down on the sink, which is just as gross.

As for the aim, why not bend down a little, start peeing, and then slowly get up again when you know where you're hitting? It also doesn't hurt to have the lights on, and then wipe off the toilet if you've had an accident. Or just sit down and pee. At least you've got a choice.

Toilets should come pre-installed with an optional aiming game with points and a high score table. Fun for kids in all ages
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 3:52 PM
Toilets should come pre-installed with an optional aiming game with points and a high score table. Fun for kids in all ages

When my mum was a primary teacher (kindergarten?) they painted targets on the loos in the boys toilets. True story.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 4:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hugbug993
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201..._n_1182966.html

Toilets typically spray water droplets into the air. This includes onto any nearby surfaces or anything on those surfaces. So, where do you keep your toothbrush? If you leave it out on the counter and leave the lid up, then you're getting fecal germs on your toothbrush.

Since you're concerned with fairness, then this should be fair: everyone puts the seat and lid down. Women put the lid up and down, men put the seat up and down. Your manly muscles should be enough to compensate for the extra weight of the seat. Also, nobody gets poop water on their toothbrush.

1) My toothbrush is on the opposite side of the room from my toilet.
2) That sounds fair, then, since everyone then has a duty before and after they urinate (I personally close both, just because I prefer the look of a closed toilet), but what about in public washrooms, where there is often no lid?

Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You're obviously male as only a male would even entertain the idea that it's okay to leave the seat up. You do this as you have no comprehension of what it's like to go to the toilet half asleep at 2am and find yourself sitting on the porcelain, perhaps even with some pee on it from the male that left the lid up. try it once, preferably when you are half asleep, in winter with pee on that rim. After that you will know why woman ask men to flip the seat down.

As to paper, over of course.

I would never have toothbrushes in the same room as a toilet.

Turn the light on. That's what we do when we have to pee in the middle of the night (because we need to be able to see in order to aim). Also, I occasionally have to poo in the middle of the night. I look before I sit. It's really not that hard to "look before you leak."

As for the aim, why not bend down a little, start peeing, and then slowly get up again when you know where you're hitting? It also doesn't hurt to have the lights on, and then wipe off the toilet if you've had an accident. Or just sit down and pee. At least you've got a choice.

1) I forgot to mention that, when a man pees with any amount of force, it usually isn't just a single stream. There are droplets that come from the sides, too, which would hit the seat, but likely not the bucket, if the seat is lifted.
2) I wipe the toilet rim if I miss the toilet. It's gross to think that anyone wouldn't.
3) Yes, there is a choice, but it's easier to urinate while standing in some cases, as many toilets are (this is hard to explain) designed so that the front part goes into the hole at such an angle that, while urinating, it is possible for penis-to-inside of toilet bowl contact while urinating (if that's not disgusting, I don't know what is). If I ever have poop in a public restroom, I usually have to lean forward and hold my penis back to avoid this problem, so any time I can pee standing, I do it.
4) A lot of parents put cheerios in the bowl while potty training their sons. My parents never did that, but it sounds like it would have been fun. On that note, if you've never tried to make the toilet water spin like a whirlpool, you probably aren't male.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 4:55 PM
1) My toothbrush is on the opposite side of the room from my toilet.

Is it more than ten feet away? Because that's how far water from the toilet can travel.

but what about in public washrooms, where there is often no lid?

Germs crawl over every single surface because of the lack of lids. That's why it's even more important to wash your hands in public restrooms.

Turn the light on. That's what we do when we have to pee in the middle of the night (because we need to be able to see in order to aim). Also, I occasionally have to poo in the middle of the night. I look before I sit. It's really not that hard to "look before you leak."

The problem with that is the light adjustment. When you turn on the light, your eyes lose all adjustment to the darkness for a while. Trying to walk back through the house without adjusted eyes tends to lead to problems. I'm especially prone to walking into the doorway or the doorknob when I can't see. It was even worse when I had cats, especially since one was very quiet and in the darkness they blended in with the carpet. I actually sprained my ankle once by tripping over the carpet in the dark while walking back. That is why I don't turn the light on at night.

Theorist
#12 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 11:49 PM
Germs crawl over every single surface because of the lack of lids.

Shocking news perhaps, but germs crawl over every single surface anywhere because of germs. I'm all for proper sanitation and all, but hand-wringing hyperbole for the sake of it doesn't aid anyone.

Your goal isn't a germ free environment because that's hardly possible outside of a dedicated clean room with very precise protocols. Your goal should always be a safe, hygienic environment.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#13 Old 7th Apr 2016 at 12:05 AM Last edited by maxon : 7th Apr 2016 at 12:16 AM.
Though to be fair there is that study that showed hospital restrooms without lids were crawling with C Difficile - a lot in suspension in the air (riding on the spray from the flush). The lids have tended to be left off hospital (and other public) toilets because of concerns about cross-contamination when handling the lids but walking into a cloud of C Difficile is no joke, especially if you're ill already and have lower defences against infection or open wounds. Naaaaasty.

My husband used to work (still fairly recently) in a hospital which is why I'm aware of the issue. He had a dose of C Difficile. He was quite ill with it (and was absolutely not allowed to return to work until he had recovered and been symptom-free for several days). While it's not usually life-threatening to healthy individuals, it is a problem for people with vulnerabilities and does kill. Still even if you're healthy a dose of C Diff can be very unpleasant. It's also extremely infectious and can survive in the general environment for a long time. It's become a real problem in hospitals. Following on from the study mentioned above, I think there is a move afoot to put lids on hospital loos in the UK. Mind you, it does depend on people actually using them.

Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 7th Apr 2016 at 12:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mistermook
Shocking news perhaps, but germs crawl over every single surface anywhere because of germs. I'm all for proper sanitation and all, but hand-wringing hyperbole for the sake of it doesn't aid anyone.

If you define 'germ' as just any kind of microorganism, then sure, but germs are specifically pathogenic microorganisms - the ones that are harmful to human health. Most of the microorganisms found on any given surface are pretty harmless. Fecal germs are not.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 7th Apr 2016 at 2:20 AM
The worst places in public for germs are the toilets obviously but also the door handle to the toilets, public phones (if you still have them) and shopping trollies/carts. A study showed those areas had high concentration of rather nasty germs including ecoli. Cause-poor hand washing on the part of the general public with a high contact rate. I try hard not to use public toilets and if i have to I try to avoid holding the door handle in the most obvious place and wash my hands well. My daughter got her first gastric bug off a shopping trolly at 9 months, it was after that, that I bought a liner for the seat. She was teething at the time and kept trying to chew on the cart.
At night we keep a dim light on in the hall, turning on a bathroom light can be blinding and wakes most people up too much. It's not hard for a man to flip the seat back down and if it saves your wife sitting on dirty cold porcine why wouldn't you? It's simple good manners.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 7th Apr 2016 at 3:34 AM
The problem with that is the light adjustment. When you turn on the light, your eyes lose all adjustment to the darkness for a while. Trying to walk back through the house without adjusted eyes tends to lead to problems. I'm especially prone to walking into the doorway or the doorknob when I can't see. It was even worse when I had cats, especially since one was very quiet and in the darkness they blended in with the carpet. I actually sprained my ankle once by tripping over the carpet in the dark while walking back. That is why I don't turn the light on at night.

As I said, men turn the lights on to pee, why can't women? I've heard this middle-of-the-night point brought up so many times, but this seems like a non-issue when the solution is so simple. Yes, turning a light on is temporarily blinding, but it's not (usually) so devastating that it lasts more than a few seconds.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 7th Apr 2016 at 11:54 AM
The only times I pee in the dark would be if the power was out, or if I'm in a hurry and there's already plenty of light in the room from outside. Yes, even in the middle of the night I turn the lights on, or I can't see a thing.

But I do get it why some would not put on the lights (turning on the lights might screw up your night vision, or tell your brain "hey, it's morning already?" so you struggle going back to sleep).

I'm fairly sure we've got some male 'lights off' pee-ers where I live, because they apparently can't find the flusher in the dark. That smell simmering away until the morning is awful!

For public toilets I always (if possible) use the paper towel to open the door after I've washed my hands. I also wash my hands when I get home from shopping (money is generally just as dirty as handles and toilets), and wash off fresh produce before eating it.
Theorist
#18 Old 7th Apr 2016 at 4:34 PM
My opinions:

1. Over! Under is just moronic, and annoying. It's not right.
2. Neither! Men and women should BOTH put the seat AND LID down before flushing! Flushing with the lid up is disgusting, as has already been pointed out. If you need more links to evidence that it's disgusting: http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/...rms-in-bathroom Public restrooms are irrelevant. You're lucky if there's not poo smeared on the seat from someone who apparently miscalculated the location of their bunghole. In a public restroom, one should always determine in advance the position of the toilet seat and adjust accordingly, preferably with a foot. One also should never sit on the bare seat of a public toilet and should use a copiously large wad of toilet paper to wipe the seat down, followed by placing a paper toilet seat protector on it or several lengths of toilet paper if a protector is not available. Since public toilets don't have a lid, one should finish up all remaining business, re-dress, and kick any toilet paper used to cover the seat into the bowl using a foot, prior to flushing. The toilet should be flushed with the foot, and the stall exited as rapidly as possible to reduce the risk of being contacted by nasty poopy toilet water splashback or poo water particles that have become airborne.

I would also add that one should always wash hands with soap upon finishing bathroom business, especially after #2, but also after #1. It seems that this necessary habit has failed to be taught to many of today's young people, which is sad and disgusting. I can only guess that these males must think that they don't need to wash, because they didn't touch anything (other than their dirty, sweaty cocks), but urinal splash is also a thing, and then there's that dirty flush lever that everyone else touched, after touching their dirty, sweaty cocks. So EVERYONE should wash thoroughly after all bathroom business!

Also, I would ask that, if you happen to know me and we are in a public restroom at the same time, PLEASE avoid making conversation with me while I'm (attempting) to do my business. Some men seem to think standing at the urinal is a perfect time for making small talk. This is INCORRECT! I have a shy bladder, and I don't enjoy having conversations with co-workers while I have my junk hanging out. If you MUST say something, please wait at least till we're both at the handwashing phase! Especially, DO NOT EVER attempt to make conversation with a poop neighbor. I can think of nothing more awkward and uncomfortable. In fact, I will find another public restroom to poop in if I see an acquaintance enter a stall ahead of me because I don't like when a poop neighbor knows my identity.

Oh, another thing so disgusting that people should never do, which I'd think is common sense, but I have seen/heard it on multiple occasions: Eating while pooping. This is so disgusting, but I have heard a guy before taking a dump while chowing down on a bag of chips. Even worse, there was once a guy answering nature's call on line #2 and eating a sandwich at the same time.

Also, what possesses people to want to poop and talk on the phone at the same time? Wow.

Resident wet blanket.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 8th Apr 2016 at 6:32 PM
Just had to post this:
Scholar
#20 Old 9th Apr 2016 at 12:18 PM
Scholar
#21 Old 11th Apr 2016 at 8:14 AM Last edited by Sims2Christain : 12th Apr 2016 at 5:55 AM.
[I]1: it is incorrect for the paper to roll inward. It must face the wall to annoy absolutely everyone else.
2: the large rim was intended for the spray function... someone forgot to mention that humans can sit down. [I]

Seriously though
I flip the toilet paper around if I can be bothered.
I leave the seat down, its the lid that moves

I am a young male who believe it or not:
Almost always sits
Always shuts the lid then flushes
Almost never lifts the seat up (only time to clean it, I do that too.)
Definitely washes my hand afterwards.
Alchemist
#22 Old 1st May 2016 at 10:08 PM
Honestly, it doesn't fucking matter which way it's on as long as it's got actual TP on it.

If it doesn't, we're gonna have a problem. ಠ_ಠ

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 2nd Aug 2016 at 7:40 PM
Don't care just let me wipe.

Is the position of the roll going to allow me be a bit fresher after the wipe? No?
Leave me alone. lol

Been downloading like crazy...so many great creators here! Neglecting forums...will be back soon...ish.