Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 6:14 PM
Adobe photoshop...?
Hello there! I have got my lovely new laptop, which bodyshop works on (whoop whoop!) but it doesnt have Adobe Photoshop which I need as I want to recolour and retexture hair. Is there any alternative software?Or does anyone know where I can download it from??
Thank in advance
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#2 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 7:09 PM
Photoshop is not a free program to download, the full version of it costs several hundreds of dollars. A cheaper alternative is Paint Shop Pro, which is not free, either. An example of a completely free paint program would be Gimp.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 8:34 PM
I have Photoshop Elements (essentally the lite version) but even at that it cost me about $100 two or three years ago. I love it and I'm still learning it so for me it was well worth the cost.
Knitting fiend
retired moderator
#4 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 8:42 PM
I have Photoshop Elements (3.0, not seeing 4.0 as a great upgrade at this point) as well and use it all the time for editing photos of my kids, pets, and whatnot. I also have PSP X and like them both for different reasons. Now if only I could only figure out how to recolor items without losing the original texture... or getting shot for asking how to do it.

"Evil genius is still genius." Asura NPC GW2
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 10:17 PM
JLonier: Layers. Duplicate the layer containing the original texture and work in your new layer. Obviously when you've finished you'll have to save in a format that may not support layers - that's ok though, as you can still Save As your original in .psd which does.

Pax,
Indigo
Test Subject
#6 Old 26th Oct 2006 at 9:21 PM
I have adobe photoshop cs2 and loving it!

(p.s there is a 15 day trail version)
Test Subject
#7 Old 9th Nov 2006 at 10:21 PM
Paint Shop Pro is probably a better choice for you if you're just starting out. Photoshop is professional quality, costs upwards of $600, you can find it on eBay MAYBE for $300, but even then, unless you've taken courses or had an expert teach you how to use it, you will find it a big headache and a waste of money, unless you plan on using it for a career in graphic design, I would pass...

Be the change you wish to see in the world.
Instructor
#8 Old 9th Nov 2006 at 10:25 PM
Personally I don't think that Photoshop is only for "professionals". I use it, and everything I know about Photoshop I've taught my self.
(and I just hate paint shop!!! we used it in school... *worst* *class* *ever*)
Yes, photoshop can be expensive, but it is a brilliant program

Hey, wanna get rid of the PaySites once and for all?

Wanna join the Animal Army?
Give me credit and you can include/default/whatever my stuff - No Paysites!
- I always use skins from Enayla
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#9 Old 10th Nov 2006 at 11:52 AM
You can also find used copies of Photoshop 7 for around $40, used, but completely legitimate, on eBay. PS7 is essentially the same thing as the current multi-hundred-dollar version, missing only a few features that have been added.

I recommend it above all things for anyone with $40 to spare who wants to make good textures.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 11th Nov 2006 at 12:17 PM
..well I completely forgot that I had made this thread...woops.!

Thanks for replying everyone. I think that I might just leave it, although I would really like to be able to do recolours and such like, I am not willing to spend that amount of money on it. I might have a look at Gimp which IgnorantBliss recommended or get Paint Shop Pro, which I do know how to use..but does bring back memories at ICT classes at school *grrr*.

However, do have Photoshop 4.0 on my mums laptop..except bodyshop doesnt work there...would I be able to do recolours if I made them in Photoshop, saved them in Paint, and then sent them to this laptop??Would that work??Or would the quality of the image be too bad....??

felesfemina3 - I already know how to use Photoshop so there isnt an issue there.
retired moderator
#11 Old 11th Nov 2006 at 12:26 PM
Photoshop 4 may be somewhat limited compared to newer versions but it may still be superior to GIMP. You don't need to save them in Paint though, unless for some reason it can't save them as a .bmp - just save your images as .bmps and then copy them over to the other computer that can use Body Shop. It's a pain in the butt to do, but if you have a network it'd be easier. I'd done that myself when my graphics computer had issues with Body Shop.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 11th Nov 2006 at 12:58 PM
Thank you so much HP I shall try doing that.
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 13th Nov 2006 at 5:32 PM Last edited by xnymphetaminex : 16th Nov 2006 at 11:28 PM.
Ok have saved them as .bmp - thank you HystericalParoxysm for telling me that - and have transfered them onto the laptop with Bodyshop...

can someone point me in the direction of a tutorial which tells you how to import/export the texture into Bodyshop??

Thanks for the help
retired moderator
#14 Old 13th Nov 2006 at 5:40 PM
Psst, xnymphetaminex, you'd want to look in Body Shop Skinning for all the Body Shop recolouring related tutorials.

Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 13th Nov 2006 at 5:39 PM
Ooooh thanks :sorry:

*runs off*
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 13th Nov 2006 at 9:31 PM
Just thought that I would say thank you to everyone who has replied. I have managed to re-texture the hair on this laptop by doing what HP advised me to do.

Thanks everyone
xxx
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 15th Nov 2006 at 2:22 AM
Default Well..
Quote: Originally posted by xnymphetaminex
Hello there! I have got my lovely new laptop, which bodyshop works on (whoop whoop!) but it doesnt have Adobe Photoshop which I need as I want to recolour and retexture hair. Is there any alternative software?Or does anyone know where I can download it from??
Thank in advance

well i dont know about using it for hair, but to recolour objects i use microsoft photo editor if u have it i would try thats all i got, hope it helps good luck