Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Mar 2017 at 5:17 PM Last edited by Zennia : 12th Mar 2017 at 5:27 PM.
Default s4pe
I'm having problems with s4pe. When trying to open a file with s4pe, it won't let me. There isn't any option to open a package file with s4pe. When i do try to open the file with the s4pe executable, nothing happens. It will only let me open with Notepad or Adobe reader, which doesn't work for the package file.

When i open s4pe and try to open a package file from there, i get this message....

Error reading resource 0x03B33DDF-0x00000000-0xA37570B802C829D0
Front-end Distribution:
Library Distribution:

Source: s4pi.WrapperDealer
Assembly: s4pi.WrapperDealer, Version=1603.11.19.2382, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Could not find a resource handler
----
Stack trace:
at s4pi.WrapperDealer.WrapperDealer.WrapperForType(String type, Int32 APIversion, Stream s)
at s4pi.WrapperDealer.WrapperDealer.GetResource(Int32 APIversion, IPackage pkg, IResourceIndexEntry rie, Boolean AlwaysDefault)
at S4PIDemoFE.MainForm.browserWidget1_SelectedResourceChanged(Object sender, ResourceChangedEventArgs e)

So i was wondering if there is a program/app or utility i might need to get s4pe to work. Anyone?

I've tried two different versions with the same exact results as stated above....

Version s4pe.0.3.c and s4pe 0.4.4 beta

My OS is windows 7
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 12th Mar 2017 at 5:29 PM
This belongs under create/sims4/objects creation I assume Menu above. You might find some tutorials there as well.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3 Old 12th Mar 2017 at 7:30 PM
That error message means your unzipping program unzipped it badly. Try another

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Mar 2017 at 9:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
That error message means your unzipping program unzipped it badly. Try another

Do you mean another zip program or another zip file using the same program, because i use a purchased version of winrar.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Mar 2017 at 9:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
This belongs under create/sims4/objects creation I assume Menu above. You might find some tutorials there as well.

Do i move the thread myself? I don't know how to do that.
dodgy builder
#6 Old 12th Mar 2017 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zennia
Do i move the thread myself? I don't know how to do that.

No, it's probably better to repost there, but if I'm not mistaken Inge Jones is the one you should ask.

Do you mean another zip program or another zip file using the same program, because i use a purchased version of winrar.

There has been some issues with winrar, but why don't you just do the easiest first and then do something different?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Mar 2017 at 4:46 AM
You both are absolutely right. It was the unzip program. I downloaded 7zip and it worked. I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem. Thanks for helping.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th Mar 2017 at 5:02 AM
Though i'm still having a problem getting the file to open with s4pe. It keeps opening in notepad instead.
#9 Old 13th Mar 2017 at 9:47 AM
That means your file association is probably wrong. You can instead simply open s4pe first then use File/Open from s4pe's menu to open the .package you want.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Mar 2017 at 4:27 PM
That means your file association is probably wrong. You can instead simply open s4pe first then use File/Open from s4pe's menu to open the .package you want.

How can i get the the file association to recognize s4pe?

Also, i've never had this problem with s4pe before. It always opened by right clicking the package file and then opening with s4pe. What has changed? Why can't i open it with s4pe? All my package files are set to open with notepad and i can't seem to change that. I'm concerned about corrupting my package files if saved with notepad. And every time i try to save it with s4pe, it keeps wanting save with notepad. Even though i un-check the box to not save with notepad.
#11 Old 15th Mar 2017 at 4:31 PM
Uh.... I am not aware s4pe even HAS that option to save with notepad. You're not using Export, are you, rather than Save?

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 15th Mar 2017 at 7:18 PM
Okay, this is the process that i'm using to try and open a package file. Btw, this is how i've always done it, even in sims 3 and it always worked, until now.

Right click on package file and choose open with, and this is where i used to find s4pe.exe in either the recommended program or other programs.

s4pe isn't showing up as an option to use to open a package file. So i find where the s4pe executable is and click on it to open the package file, except my OS won't recognize s4pe as an option and keeps reverting back to the recommended program to open with which happens to be Notepad in the "open with" options. Does that make sense?

Basically, my OS isn't recognizing s4pe as a program, period.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Mar 2017 at 7:52 PM
This is what i'm talking about....the place i should be able to choose what program to open package file with.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 15th Mar 2017 at 8:16 PM
Uh.... I am not aware s4pe even HAS that option to save with notepad. You're not using Export, are you, rather than Save?

No, i don't use export.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 15th Mar 2017 at 8:19 PM Last edited by Zennia : 15th Mar 2017 at 8:29 PM.
Could the problem be that s4pe isn't installed in my computer, therefor it isn't being recognized as a program because it's not registered with the registry?

Also, i can't figure out how to install s4pe manually other than making a folder on my C drive and putting the files in that folder. However, that's not exactly installing the program. Basically it would be just a storage space at this point without an install, right?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#16 Old 19th Mar 2017 at 5:56 PM
This is what i'm talking about....the place i should be able to choose what program to open package file with.

You need to click on the Browse... button and find s4pe.exe in whatever location you've put it in. After that Windows should show you s4pe as an option when you right-click. If you have the 'Always use this program' option checked it should automatically use s4pe when you double-click a package in the future.

More detailed info here: (The installation options don't apply to s4pe, which does not come in an installable form at this time.) https://www.howtogeek.com/137483/be...ons-in-windows/

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4