Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 4:00 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default The Collections Folder- Whats the deal with it?
What's the use/point of the Collections folder with the Sims 2. I've been trying to organize all my downloads (an epic quest I say!) and some of the read me files say to specifically place items in the "collections" folder but I was curious, what is the point of having the folder? Especially if it's so similar to the downloads folder. I've tried looking this up on Sims Wiki but didn't really find much or on YouTube. This is probably a really simple question but I have to say I feel very stupid for asking it lol. Also, is it possible/recommended to edit it?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 4:40 PM
The collections folder is where your collections are located. I believe that if you create a new collection in game a new .package file appears.
It is also where you put your custom icons, which you can read more about here: custom icons for collections tutorial
And finally it's where you put collection files from cc sets you downloaded if they have one.

I don't really use the folder much. Only for a few custom icons. I usually just make new- or edit collections in-game in buy or build mode.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 5:17 PM
If you make collections, they'll show up in this folder. Collection files from other creators also seem to work when put in the Downloads folder.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 6:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
If you make collections, they'll show up in this folder. Collection files from other creators also seem to work when put in the Downloads folder.

Yes, they do. I often keep collections with the sets they belong to. OTOH, my Collections folder is stuffed with my own collections - I have many where I've made stuff invisible to the catalogue.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Alchemist
#5 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 7:21 PM
They are really useful for those things that you always have to search for in the catalog. I have one that is just the basic stuff I put in almost every lot.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 8:46 PM
They're also useful for themed sets (Christmas, Halloween, hospital, office, police, firestation, etc.) that's placed everywhere in the catalog. Makes it easier to find things.

I've started using price as an extra method for sorting. Keeps large sets in the same category more or less neatly placed together. I also put deco items (mostly new items I've made, for now) in more sensible categories so kitchen/food deco can be found in misc/appliances, toys are in Misc/children, clothes together with dressers, party/Christmas/Halloween/birthday themed deco is in Misc/Party, and so on. Much easier than leafing through a ton of clutter in the Statues and Deco/mix categories. I'm planning to sort my entire Downloads folder like that, but with 30+ GB of content, that's going to take some time...
Field Researcher
#7 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 12:11 AM
Wall and floor sets (and wall&floor sets) tend to not be neatly together in the catalog, so I mainly use collections to easily find a colour or matching colour of a specific floor or wall, you can order them however you want since Pets too! Some clutter sets have so many stuff in them that it's nicer to have them collection only, that means you only find them when opening the collection folder, not in the catalog.