Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 11:22 PM
Default Mod...permissions?
Not sure where to ask this, so help me out gaiz.

I created a default skintone, using assets from another creators skin overlay. Only parts of the face were theirs, the bodies were hand-draw by, yours truly.
It's a personal creation and I would never upload it (even with creators permission, because it's mineminemine)

I posted some pictures of my people on my tumblr, and was asked about it. Mentioned it was private, credited creator properly, etc etc.
So then the creator actually sends me a message complimenting me on it and asks if she could have a private copy.

I think that's well within her rights because part of it is made from her assets. But I don't want to give it to her...am I obligated to?
I don't upload what I make ever, so im not familiar with how this works.

Save me.

FOR THE HORDE
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 5:40 AM Last edited by grindingteeth : 15th Sep 2017 at 9:17 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Weisskreuz
I think that's well within her rights because part of it is made from her assets. But I don't want to give it to her...am I obligated to?
I don't upload what I make ever, so im not familiar with how this works.

Save me.

Woah, that's a conundrum. Either way one party is going to come away a little sore, I think.

Is there a reason you feel away about sharing it with her, so long as it remains private?
As an artist/sort-of-creator, if someone used part of my creation or work for themselves privately - I'd for sure want to see! but I don't think I'd feel entitled in any way to the end product. If I really liked it, I would want it too, but it's personal, so...
If her TOU is that you may use so long as properly credited, you're okay to deny them; I would probably clarify why it is you're uncomfortable and appologize (even though you don't have to, it's just kinder/ softer).

Somehow, it kind of feels wrong though - but that's just a personal feeling.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 12:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grindingteeth
Woah, that's a conundrum. Either way one party is going to come away a little sore, I think.

Is there a reason you feel away about sharing it with her, so long as it remains private?
As an artist/sort-of-creator, if someone used part of my creation or work for themselves privately - I'd for sure want to see! but I don't think I'd feel entitled in any way to the end product. If I really liked it, I would want it too, but it's personal, so...
If her TOU is that you may use so long as properly credited, you're okay to deny them; I would probably clarify why it is you're uncomfortable and appologize (even though you don't have to, it's just kinder/ softer).

Somehow, it kind of feels wrong though - but that's just a personal feeling.

Nothing about her in particular. Just general anxiety issues. I like being able to control whatever i've created. Once it's out in the airwaves, it's outta my hands.
She seems nice enough, trying not to burn any bridges here.

Most of the skin is mine, so I think that's holding me back...a lot. I must be very selfish.
I'm thinking about just giving her a version that doesn't have my hand-drawn body textures, but with just the face.
My sims aren't topless or naked, not sure if anyone noticed it, but that feels so...deceitful, lol.

Thank you for your help.

FOR THE HORDE
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 1:10 AM
I mean if I made the thing for my game out of other's people's work, but not share it and yet give them credit in some of the forum discussions, and show them how the skin looks... idk, I think that's enough. If it's a creation to fit your game, and you don't want to share it whatsoever (you are not obligated to) then they have no right to forcefully take it from you.

Since she asked politely, I guess you could tell her it's for your game only, not for sharing. If she insists, first make a good amount of evidence that you made it from assets, never intended to share it, and were good enough to credit her work, then send it to her. That way you could never get in trouble for doing something like that.
dodgy builder
#5 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 7:49 AM
Just tell her you respected her tou, now you want her to respect yours.

You can never know what she does about it, and you're not comfortable with giving it away. You credited her skin and did what you were suppose to. The job you did was only ment for you. It shouldn't be an issue in my eyes, but then some people considers me a bitch because I follow the rules ... so.

Just find a nice way to say it. You might even say it has some faults, even though it doesn't.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 8:22 AM
@Weisskreuz
I can respect that, not wanting to have your creation out of your control - it's an incredibly difficult thing to give up ownership in a way, of things you create. It's something I respect CC creators for, but also understand not wanting to do.
(I loathe uploading my art online for a nagging fear of the artwork, or worse still, the idea/concept being stolen...)
I think you're better off just being honest and straight forward with them than giving them something fake and/or altered.
Like I (and others) said, you did your part if you followed her TOU, so just say what you mean.

You're welcome, and good luck.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 6:32 PM
Well if anyone was waiting for an update.

I nicely declined to give her a copy. In the absolute nicest way possible.
She never answered. But I felt bad at the end of the day so I went back to our chat and was going to ask if she wouldn't mind taking an edited version with my body removed (only collarbone and up).

Aaaaand, she blocked me.

I'm glad actually glad I didn't give her my shit. Who is this petty?
Well anyway bullet dodged.
I'm going to make a skin that's 100% mine when I get tired of my current one. You can't start drama with yourself!

Thanks for all the advice <3

FOR THE HORDE
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#8 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 7:17 PM
I'm going to be blunt with you here: blocking you, yeah petty. But refusing to share something you made using parts of someones work because it's "minemineminemine" and then saying "bullet dodged"? I'd have to say that fits the definition of petty itself. I really don't blame that person for blocking you because their TOU allowed you to use parts of their work (doesn't matter how much of it) and you want to play kindergartner and keep all the toys to yourself.

Now, that said: You aren't/weren't obligated to share what you make/made. But you were asked nicely by the creator of the assets you used, it's not like they threw a fit and demanded a copy. So yeah, it would have been a nice gesture if you'd have shared it with them. I would have taken the fact that they wanted it as a compliment and handed a copy over right then and there.
Theorist
#9 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 7:40 PM
I don't think It's right to call someone petty just because they didn't want to give away something they worked hard on. Not everyone is comfortable sharing their artwork. Maybe Wiess has had a bad experience in the past where people have stolen their work, and didn't credit it. I know I've made plenty of things based on other people's work that are just for my enjoyment. I have a ton of VOCALOID covers I've made off other people's songs or VSQ's but I either don't upload them, or don't release my edited version of the VSQ so other people can't take credit for all of my hard work, even if the work was just editing and tuning. :\

"I would have taken the fact that they wanted it as a compliment and handed a copy over right then and there." And that's fantastic, That's you, You are clearly a very open, sharing person. But not everybody feels this way, and I don't think they deserve be penalised for it :\

Just my opinion, pls no banhammer :x
dodgy builder
#10 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 7:57 PM
I would say the only thing weiss can be blamed for, is posting pictures of it and then reveal he/she made part of it themselves. You are totally in your right not to share it, and because a mod says otherwise doesn't make it anymore wrong.

I just assume weiss has learned something, as we all do. I used 2 years making a world, someone asked me to have the caw files, I refused. I felt bad about it, but I was in my right. Sometimes I'm way too nice, they say they will only use it for themselves, but how can I be sure about that? Being so nice I have felt bad about decitions several times, as the decition had already been made, I wouldn't change my mind. If I'm a bitch by someone's standard, I guess I will be so.

You don't need to be friend with everybody, some people will hate you, you just have to learn to live with it.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#11 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 8:05 PM
It's not because they didn't want to share, it's their attitude about it. Or what I perceive to be their attitude. Dunno, I'm having an off day.

But you are right about me being open and sharing. I don't care what anyone does with anything I make. I actually hope someone can learn something from tearing my meshes and/or textures apart. This makes me tend to not understand the "wanting to keep it all for myself" concept - although I have edited stuff for my own use that I won't share.. but that's only because the original creator's TOU wouldn't allow that.
Test Subject
#12 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 8:13 PM
I agree with @mustluvcatz. That attitude is awful. you don't have to share what you make, but then why post it all over the internet to show it off if you aren't going to share? It's really rather annoying to see images of great skin or hair - and I'd be LIVID if said things were made from MY assets - and then have the creator tell you they don't want to share it with you.

Again, you don't have to share if you don't want to - I hate sharing stuff I make - but that's why I don't post it in public places. My own blog where I can put a nice big sticky that says: I DO NOT SHARE ANY OF THE THINGS I MAKE is one thing - but a public forum where someone could reasonably expect to get to download something? Heck no. It's misleading and disingenuous.
Theorist
#13 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 8:24 PM Last edited by ShigemiNotoge : 19th Sep 2017 at 9:04 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by LEONGenesis
I agree with @mustluvcatz. That attitude is awful. you don't have to share what you make, but then why post it all over the internet to show it off if you aren't going to share? It's really rather annoying to see images of great skin or hair - and I'd be LIVID if said things were made from MY assets - and then have the creator tell you they don't want to share it with you.

Again, you don't have to share if you don't want to - I hate sharing stuff I make - but that's why I don't post it in public places. My own blog where I can put a nice big sticky that says: I DO NOT SHARE ANY OF THE THINGS I MAKE is one thing - but a public forum where someone could reasonably expect to get to download something? Heck no. It's misleading and disingenuous.

That's fair. The stuff I make for myself I have uploaded to soundcloud and set to private so no one can see it unless I want to ask a specific individual what they think of it. It does seem silly to show it off publicly if you don't want to share it, but then, it's not as though Youtube has a download feature. So wanting something publicly visible doesn't always mean you're willing to distribute it. I still get the not wanting people to steal it, but it's a grey area. It's not the *best* way to have gone about it, but I certainly don't think it's petty to not want to share it.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#14 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 8:38 PM
You're really reaching right here. If you don't understand the feeling behind people that AREN'T YOU not wanting to share their things, without them telling you their entire tragic life story, I wouldn't bother speaking at all.

She requires written credit in her TOU, I did that.
Me creating the skin wasn't an issue until I didn't give it to her.
If you read the op, she had complimented me on it before even asking for it.

She is 28 according to her own profile, I expect when you're an adult on the internet you act like one. If you have an issue, you say it. So yes, i'm going to call her petty.
I can't imagine what would have happened if i told her I didn't want it shared to anyone. Would she have blocked me then too? Probably. So, hell yeah, A+ Bullet dodged.

FOR THE HORDE
dodgy builder
#15 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 8:41 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 19th Sep 2017 at 10:47 PM.
Quote:
but a public forum where someone could reasonably expect to get to download something? Heck no. It's misleading and disingenuous.

That fits most places actually. Most places are both private and public. Like tumblr, it's a place with tuns of stuff, but because (I) have a tumblr and post my things doesn't mean you can't be refused a download. I can perfectly well post pictures of my characters, and I can even say I made this skin from (her) facemask. I never intended it to be used and feel uncomfortable letting someone else have it.

I was just testing out how to make a mask, it was my first one, and if I'm not totally happy with it, you wont get it, sorry! Now eat that melon, even if it makes it impossible for you to eat dinner. I couldn't care less!

It may be her groundwork, but her work is now obscured by my work, so it's now MINE.

You should take a seat in someone elses brain for a while.

Edit: I'm not sure what I did here, it looks slightly insane, but I don't have problems fitting into someone else's shoes, even if it makes me sound like I have a split personality.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#16 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 8:42 PM Last edited by Weisskreuz : 19th Sep 2017 at 8:54 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by LEONGenesis

I don't have a Simblr, I have a normal tumblr that isn't being followed nor do I follow any other simblrs. It wasn't even tagged as the sims.
It had my sims name on it and that was about it.
When I was asked about it I told them what skin and hair I used. They could literally go and download the overlay it was made from! I wanted a darker jawline, and more shading on the cheekbones, and nose and just wanted it to apply to all my sims, I liked the rest of the facial overlay, so I changed those parts and whipped up a DR.
They could download it! bruh. It's not thrust in your face and unobtainable. I wasn't withholding information.

Edit: Oh fuck, I forgot putting things in the body of the post puts it in the tag as well. I mentioned it was from the Sims 4.
Well that makes sense.

FOR THE HORDE
Inventor
#17 Old 23rd Sep 2017 at 1:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Weisskreuz
You're really reaching right here. If you don't understand the feeling behind people that AREN'T YOU not wanting to share their things, without them telling you their entire tragic life story, I wouldn't bother speaking at all.

She requires written credit in her TOU, I did that.
Me creating the skin wasn't an issue until I didn't give it to her.
If you read the op, she had complimented me on it before even asking for it.

She is 28 according to her own profile, I expect when you're an adult on the internet you act like one. If you have an issue, you say it. So yes, i'm going to call her petty.
I can't imagine what would have happened if i told her I didn't want it shared to anyone. Would she have blocked me then too? Probably. So, hell yeah, A+ Bullet dodged.

So instead you told her you dont want to share it with her? Hearing that somebody doesnt want to share with anybody is different from hearing that somebody doesnt want to share with you. I hope you made it clear to her that you werent going to share with anybody, instead of making her believe you werent going to share with her.