Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 3:05 AM
Default Is this normal? Using a lot of RAM.
Is this a normal amount of RAM for Sims 4 to be using? It's a fresh install, all released packs, no mods or cc installed and I only have one playable family of 4 (although I have been playing them for a long time and they all have many books, songs, collectables, etc.).

Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 9:07 AM
Have you tried playing a 1 sim household in a different neighborhood lot (try an empty one) to see if the memory usage remains high?
Field Researcher
#4 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 12:09 PM
I have nearly the same amount (2.7 mio), and my game is not fresh installed, I play with many Sims in every town.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 12:05 AM
depends, for me Yes this is pretty close to normal. (mine stays at about 2gb) Reason is my graphics card is crap. I use a laptop with only 512vram. When playing a game that needs more vram my laptop uses regular ram as vram up to 4gb. I'm on a 64 bit machine with 8gb of ram so it doesn't effect overall performance but if you have a 32 bit machine and a crappy card then i can see it struggling a bit. Also i use about 8gb worth of CC and have many played households in my save so that may bump me up a bit.
I'd say if you have a card that has over 2gb of dedicated ram i'd be concerned, but if you have something with 1gb or less then it may just be normal. If it stays steady and doesn't push above that too often I wouldn't worry.

Edit, just noticed you only have 4gb ram.. So your maxed out here. Make sure you have all your graphics drivers up to date and do as the others here have suggested and update all your drivers. Also make sure you have updated direct X and .net framework. A graphics card normally can't pull more then 1/2 of your ram for vram. What are your specs? and what version of windows are you using?
Field Researcher
#6 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 6:50 AM
I use a PC that was upgraded to play TS4 and The Witcher III and I have just opened up a 2 adults, 2 baby sim household and my reading are 2,027,024 and 2,008,768 respectively if that helps. My game runs fine.

-- The Roc
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 8:59 AM
Physical and graphical memory are different. If either memory goes above (I think) 3.2gb on a 32bit game, it will crash.

Since this is vanilla I would assume the save is going bad. I had to create a new world for the GTW expansion to work properly, perhaps try creating another world and see if the ram size goes down.
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 3:45 PM
I've been playing around with it and it seems to be the save. I bulldozed their house and cleaned out the family inventory (massive amount of crap), cleaned out their personal inventories a bit (even more crap, X4) and it seems to have helped a lot. I toyed around with a new family and they were running at about 1.6 GB, so at least I know it's not the game.

Funny thing is, the game never played badly, it just kept having to shut down because I was completely out of RAM. I guess it's time for 4 GB more. I also upped the size of the page file and that helped too. Apparently the size reset when I got a new hard drive a few months ago, and I never noticed. 200 MB wasn't cutting it.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  DxDiag.zip (5.6 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content
Description: System specs
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 10:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
You're on a PC? The PC version is 32bit, so it really doesn't matter if you upped the RAM or change your pagefile. Game not suppose to be using more than 2GB of RAM.

Pretty sure TS4 is LAA, so it can use up to 4GB.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 17th Nov 2015 at 8:44 AM
Surely if they released it with the LAA bit enabled then this means they designed it for that?
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 17th Nov 2015 at 6:24 PM
So, any idea what would be causing a memory leak? My best guess would be all the books they have written. My royalty report goes on forever. Does anyone know if you can edit/remove the books a Sim has written?