Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#51 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 4:20 AM
If referring to them as "the blacks" isn't a giant red flag I dunno what is
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 22nd May 2017 at 2:59 PM
Just some roasting video out here for no reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hECK7W0E76Q
#56 Old 6th Jun 2017 at 10:43 PM
I'm with the basic message of BLM but like...I went to a rally this weekend where that was a chant, as well as "native lives matter", "trans lives matter", "brown lives matter", and "Muslim lives matter", which is awesome! But I had a sign that said "All Lives Matter" and literally got hate for it. People refused to talk to me when they saw it, I was told by a racial equality group that my views were incompatible with theirs, I got accused of racism...

What part of "all lives" do people find difficult to understand? We chanted all of those different things and yet putting them collectively on a sign is somehow bigoted? WHAT THE HECK.

One person told me "it's white people trying to take over yet another thing" and when I told her it came from unrest and protests in Mexico going ignored by the world media she was all "well you're wrong but whatever" and refused to elaborate. A guy came up behind us and asked me "are you really arguing with a native disabled woman?"

You know. Three things covered by "all lives".
Instructor
#57 Old 7th Jun 2017 at 5:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlackjackGabbiani
I'm with the basic message of BLM but like...I went to a rally this weekend where that was a chant, as well as "native lives matter", "trans lives matter", "brown lives matter", and "Muslim lives matter", which is awesome! But I had a sign that said "All Lives Matter" and literally got hate for it. People refused to talk to me when they saw it, I was told by a racial equality group that my views were incompatible with theirs, I got accused of racism...

What part of "all lives" do people find difficult to understand? We chanted all of those different things and yet putting them collectively on a sign is somehow bigoted? WHAT THE HECK.

One person told me "it's white people trying to take over yet another thing" and when I told her it came from unrest and protests in Mexico going ignored by the world media she was all "well you're wrong but whatever" and refused to elaborate. A guy came up behind us and asked me "are you really arguing with a native disabled woman?"

You know. Three things covered by "all lives".

That's just what BLM is. They're racists who disguise themselves as anti-racists.
Theorist
#58 Old 7th Jun 2017 at 6:59 PM
"All Lives Matter" is a counter-troll to "Black Lives Matter" because no one had the foresight and future prediction of seeing it happen. It's a really unfortunate turnabout for BLM, and I think they need to change their slogan. If only they had taken the slogan All Lives Matter to begin with, got some structure, and kept to a strict non-violence policy.
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 7th Jun 2017 at 7:51 PM
I'm still wondering why some of the police who have committed murder are only being put on a paid leave. By commiting murder I mean shooting to kill someone who has in no way put you in danger. As for BLM, I want more attention brought to corrupt law enforcement. The disciplinary principles need to be more strict, perhaps? Like if you are on camera hurting someone for no apparent reason, you uh, go to jail?So, I guess i'm completely against police brutality altogether. I'm also against citizen brutality against cops. Doesn't matter who is on the losing end, it needz to stop. I just wish there was no violence, ever, at all...

"Nothing is what rocks dream about." - Aristotle
Instructor
#60 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 11:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by blueskii55
I'm still wondering why some of the police who have committed murder are only being put on a paid leave. By commiting murder I mean shooting to kill someone who has in no way put you in danger. As for BLM, I want more attention brought to corrupt law enforcement. The disciplinary principles need to be more strict, perhaps? Like if you are on camera hurting someone for no apparent reason, you uh, go to jail?So, I guess i'm completely against police brutality altogether. I'm also against citizen brutality against cops. Doesn't matter who is on the losing end, it needz to stop. I just wish there was no violence, ever, at all...

I'm also against paid leave for police under investigation and police brutality, but BLM is not the answer. BLM is a racist terrorist group.
Instructor
#61 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 2:51 AM
Quote:
Imagine that you're sitting down to dinner with your family, and while everyone else gets a serving of the meal, you don't get any. So you say "I should get my fair share." And as a direct response to this, your dad corrects you, saying, "everyone should get their fair share." Now, that's a wonderful sentiment — indeed, everyone should, and that was kinda your point in the first place: that you should be a part of everyone, and you should get your fair share also. However, dad's smart-ass comment just dismissed you and didn't solve the problem that you still haven't gotten any!

The problem is that the statement "I should get my fair share" had an implicit "too" at the end: "I should get my fair share, too, just like everyone else." But your dad's response treated your statement as though you meant "only I should get my fair share", which clearly was not your intention. As a result, his statement that "everyone should get their fair share," while true, only served to ignore the problem you were trying to point out.

That's the situation of the "black lives matter" movement. Culture, laws, the arts, religion, and everyone else repeatedly suggest that all lives should matter. Clearly, that message already abounds in our society.

The problem is that, in practice, the world doesn't work that way. You see the film Nightcrawler? You know the part where Renee Russo tells Jake Gyllenhal that she doesn't want footage of a black or latino person dying, she wants news stories about affluent white people being killed? That's not made up out of whole cloth — there is a news bias toward stories that the majority of the audience (who are white) can identify with. So when a young black man gets killed (prior to the recent police shootings), it's generally not considered "news", while a middle-aged white woman being killed is treated as news. And to a large degree, that is accurate — young black men are killed in significantly disproportionate numbers, which is why we don't treat it as anything new. But the result is that, societally, we don't pay as much attention to certain people's deaths as we do to others. So, currently, we don't treat all lives as though they matter equally.

Just like asking dad for your fair share, the phrase "black lives matter" also has an implicit "too" at the end: it's saying that black lives should also matter. But responding to this by saying "all lives matter" is willfully going back to ignoring the problem. It's a way of dismissing the statement by falsely suggesting that it means "only black lives matter," when that is obviously not the case. And so saying "all lives matter" as a direct response to "black lives matter" is essentially saying that we should just go back to ignoring the problem.

Credit: https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlik...n_someone_says/
Mad Poster
#62 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 4:11 AM
Thank you for posting that, GabyBee.
Instructor
#63 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 4:42 AM
Alchemist
#64 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 4:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shoosh Malooka
"All Lives Matter" is a counter-troll to "Black Lives Matter" because no one had the foresight and future prediction of seeing it happen. It's a really unfortunate turnabout for BLM, and I think they need to change their slogan. If only they had taken the slogan All Lives Matter to begin with, got some structure, and kept to a strict non-violence policy.

People forget that the reason it was "Black Lives Matter" is because black people were/are being specifically targeted for racial discrimination. Nobody needed to be told that white lives mattered, because we as a culture, already treated white lives as if they mattered: That didn't need the reinforcement or support.
Other ethnic minorities are also targets of racism, but not to the widespread and historic extent that black people are. Ergo, it makes sense that black people got more attention, and I could see how people who intended to be more inclusive, were seen as distracting or detracting. White people do have a long and consistent history of appropriating things that were not theirs to begin with, and I say this as a white person.
It's easy to say, and I agree with, that All Lives Matter would've been better, in retrospect. BLM came from a place of fear and anger, whereas ALM could've come from a place of love and healing, reminding all sides that we're all in this "America" thing together, not on different teams, and the only side to pick was "both".

However, I do also agree that people get so wrapped up in their past strife, on all ends, as to forget that we can and do make efforts to move forward from it daily. The world isn't fair, and we'll always have racist douchebags to some extent, but we don't need to make more racist people where there weren't already racist people, and that includes stirring up animosity where there had previously been none: Like how the people of BLM treated BlackjackGabbiani.
Many people are taught to see insults and malice where there originally is none, and that has a lot to do with distrust and fear, something our media loves to stir the pot on, knowing that it feeds the resentment grown and nurtured over history.
It's a complicated subject with a lot of different components, so this is just my two cent overall input.

BLM was a well-meaning and peaceful movement until it, like many other well-meaning and peaceful movements before it, was hijacked by extremists with alternative agendas. Unfortunately for us humans, it's exceptionally easy to get caught up in a group mindset, even if it could use improvement or adjustment. A lot of good ideas have been run into the ground this way. It's unfortunate that BLM became one of them.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Mad Poster
#65 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 11:43 AM
That was so well written, that I'm going to save it. Excellent points and so spot on.
Inventor
#66 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 12:22 AM
This thread reminds me of an episode of Trading Spouses. One family was black, and the other white. The black mans kept saying he was prejudice for black people, but his actions say he was very racist toward white people. He treated the swapped mom terribly because she was white, he wouldn't even tell her where the butter was, even though she was finding it for his daughter. Even his friends commented on how bad he was acting.
Mad Poster
#67 Old 16th Jun 2017 at 10:38 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 16th Jun 2017 at 10:49 PM.
Now I heard that there is a black activist that plans in Philadelphia on redesigning a pride flag to include dark and brown stripes to represent that blacks are "included" in LGBT. She might as well consider redesigning an america flag to black stripes and everything else white. Oh wait, that would be consider to be "racist". Well nevermind, let the whole U.S. flag be completely black.

It is just plain silly. Either include white and 'asian' stripes too or just don't include any new ones at all! Why enforce particular race into gay-lesbian flag? Why not include all of them or none? Race isn't even a sexual identity. How black color race make it relevant to the flag?
Instructor
#68 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 5:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Now I heard that there is a black activist that plans in Philadelphia on redesigning a pride flag to include dark and brown stripes to represent that blacks are "included" in LGBT. She might as well consider redesigning an america flag to black stripes and everything else white. Oh wait, that would be consider to be "racist". Well nevermind, let the whole U.S. flag be completely black.

It is just plain silly. Either include white and 'asian' stripes too or just don't include any new ones at all! Why enforce particular race into gay-lesbian flag? Why not include all of them or none? Race isn't even a sexual identity. How black color race make it relevant to the flag?

Because everything is a race issue, duh! [/endsarcasm]
Instructor
#69 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 6:17 PM
The rainbow flag is not an official flag of the United States of America. It is a flag used by various groups to represent the broad coalition of groups who have fought for the expansion of civil rights of persecuted minority groups.

If you feel that acknowledging the achievements of groups that have campaigned for expanded civil rights somehow threatens your identity, then I'd say you have some pretty fucked up life priorities.

Or, to put it more succinctly - If You Hate the New Pride Flag, You're the Problem
Scholar
#70 Old 22nd Jun 2017 at 6:49 PM Last edited by kattenijin : 22nd Jun 2017 at 11:48 PM.
As a gay male, I've been told many, many, many times that my struggle for equal civil rights is in no way comparable to that of blacks. I've been told this BY BLACKS. So, they can F-OFF and create their own flag. And, no I am not "part of the problem" as proposed by GabyBee's article. Also, ALL LIVES MATTER!!!

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Mad Poster
#71 Old 23rd Jun 2017 at 4:03 AM
Including a black and brown strip on the Pride flag does not make it somehow universal to all groups that struggle for civil rights and equal rights. Where are the colors for Muslims, Asians, or Native Americans? Pride is not about all civil rights struggles. This sort of blending creates muddy colors and ideas. Further, it creates a divide between groups of people that would normally be supportive of one another.

The history of the Pride Flag does not suggest at all that it was to represent all groups seeking civil rights.
Quote:
...[Harvey] Milk was elected to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors – making him the first openly gay person to hold a high public office in a major American city. Milk, once known fondly as the Mayor of Castro St., had campaigned on a positive message of hope for young gay people, saying, “The only thing they have to look forward to is hope. And you have to give them hope.” After winning the election, Milk challenged Gilbert Baker to come up with a symbol of pride for the gay community – a positive alternative to the pink triangle. The pink triangle, once imposed by Nazis to identify and persecute homosexuals, had been reclaimed in the 70s as a bold symbol of remembrance and action against persecution. It is still widely used, often alongside or superimposed upon the Rainbow Flag.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#72 Old 23rd Jun 2017 at 1:45 PM
My opinion: Being a bunch of detestable shitheads isn't going to make anyone like you. And yes, stop trying to pretend you're anything like the LGBT movement.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Instructor
#74 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 3:20 AM

I love MyNameIsJosephine! Good to see another fan!

EDIT: Good to see logic is winning out in the end, as well. It's typical.
Mad Poster
#75 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 5:28 AM
Yeah, remember when I refer to the pride flag change? That's when I discover her and I glad that I did.

Page 3 of 5