Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#76 Old 22nd Jul 2015 at 9:07 PM
There were schools in both the UK and US, probably other places as well. I think the UK schools might be better controlled than the US schools, as from what I've heard they apparently think they can teach whatever they feel like teaching in US schools...

I wasn't sure about the name, but comparative religion course does sound something like what we've got here. The sujbject has changed name (and probably content as well) at least once from back when I had it at school.
Advertisement
Theorist
#77 Old 22nd Jul 2015 at 11:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
There were schools in both the UK and US, probably other places as well. I think the UK schools might be better controlled than the US schools, as from what I've heard they apparently think they can teach whatever they feel like teaching in US schools...

I wasn't sure about the name, but comparative religion course does sound something like what we've got here. The sujbject has changed name (and probably content as well) at least once from back when I had it at school.

Not only in the US. In the Netherlands there are conservative religious controlled schools (muslim and christian) refusing to teach the Evolution Theory in their schools and it's not mandatory as far as I know.

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Test Subject
#78 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 12:07 PM Last edited by Kommode : 8th Aug 2015 at 2:18 PM.
You can believe in whatever want, but evolution is how mankind evolved to this point. It's how everything has evolved. It's how everything came to grow on Earth.

Evolution is not a basic theory. A scientific theory has to have a tremendous amount of evidence to become a theory. A scientific theory is not the same thing as a general theory. It starts off as a guess, and if it collects evidence it becomes a theory in science. If you don't want your kids to be taught facts in school, why not just send them to a sole church and pull them out of school? Why not just home-school them and feed them nonsense their whole lives? We have education in the first place so we can gain knowledge and break into our own paths as we grow. If a child starts to become interested in archaeology at an early age, are we supposed to restrict teaching them evolution simply because their are adults in this world that can't stand accepting it?

We need secular education to logically grow as human beings. If one chooses that they don't believe in evolution when they grow up, fine. Do not push that disbelief on others that have a love of facts. There is no reason why we should be being mindful in public schools of religious beliefs purely.
Scholar
#79 Old 15th Aug 2015 at 10:35 PM
Yeah, some people confuse scientific theory with what is called a hypothesis in science. What we normally would call a theory (like when a detective in a television show has theory) is called a hypothesis in science.

I blame science though, for this confusion :p
Mad Poster
#81 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 4:46 AM
I never had that class as I was for the majority of my academic career in public schools, which are atheistic in approach. During the hell-hole years of grade school in the ADA-violating school for children of all disabilities, we were taught about Christmas, Chinese New Year, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and Cinco de Mayo. I helped in the kitchen for every feast because my eldest uncle was featured on "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" as a top chef of Central New Jersey.

So, religion and culture is something that school taught. For the rest of my career, religion was taboo.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Scholar
#82 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 8:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
unless whatever that private thing is does affect his holistic well-being.

But that's precisely where some Christians have issues. The person is "contaminating" themselves and "turning away from God"; and they need to be "saved" even if it against their will. They are being "Good Christians" by forcing those people onto "The Proper Path (tm)", even if you can't get 10 of them to agree 100% on "The Proper Path (tm)" (With over 3000 sects, each claiming to be "The One True Way (tm)" its easy to understand why.)

The fact that they are being hypocritical by enforcing 1 rule out of 613 and claiming that the other 612 have somehow been rescinded never enters their minds because they never question the religious authority that has taught them their religion. Most of them never study the history, they just learn those parts that the clergy focus on. It makes me wonder what "The Church" wants to hide by making so much noise and casting so much attention on one single subject. Oh, wait! All the stories about pedophilia coming out recently... Of course, "The Church" likes to conflate the two as proof of gays "preying" on youth to "turn" them. Of course, they never have a good answer as to why these men aren't turned over to secular authorities in an effort to "clean house".

What I wonder most is who is going to be the new "Big Enemy" since "teh gay" is ignored by the younger generations. With all the protection laws against people who are supposedly "other", there really isn't anyone left any more.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.

Page 4 of 4