Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Apr 2005 at 4:16 PM
Default Making Object & Skin Files READ-ONLY?
Just wondering if anyone has tried this.....

In Sims1 you could change the file attributes making "object" and "skin" files "READ-ONLY". This would speed up loading of the game considerably.

Has anyone tried doing this in Sims2?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 23rd Apr 2005 at 4:49 PM
Why a "Read-Only" file would load faster is beyond me...but you could make ANY file on your computer "read only" by right-click the file in explorer, go to properties and click the appr. check box
In the game itself I never came across such setting
-le
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Apr 2005 at 6:45 PM Last edited by gbread49 : 23rd Apr 2005 at 6:50 PM.
I'm not an expert on the inner workings of Windows, but it has to do with how the NTFS handles writing the file "Last Access Time" updates to disk. NTFS delays writing the Last Access Time to disk when users or programs perform read-only operations on a file. Having to update the Last Access Time for files (a write operation) slows down performance.

To clarify (after I read what I originally wrote) there was not a setting in Sims1. The attributes were changed in "file attributes".