Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
*not to be found on sims4forum*
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 9:10 AM
Default s4pe 2.0 won't be default program now?
I upgraded recently and tried to set it as default program for package files (makes editing easier on me, just double click the file I want and voila... but it won't work with 2.0
I've tried the browse function through the windows settings but it won't show up after selecting (pretty sure my computer doesn't really think it's a program anymore) and tried editing my registry and nada.
I posted on the actual s4pe forums but got more or less "yeah, that happened with S3PE too" but people don't know why I guess.

Anyone have an idea?

I think for now I'm going to go back to the previous version.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 11:25 AM
Do you mean s4pe 0.2a, the latest version of s4pe? I had the same problem - s4pe would no longer show up as an option in the 'Choose default program' dialogue box you get from the 'Open With' menu in Windows. However, this little utility has been very useful for me in such cases: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithadd.htm (I use it with Windows Vista, not sure about higher versions of Windows.) It adds the problematic program to the registry so that when you again click the 'Open With' menu and 'Choose default program', the program will now show up as a selectable program in the default program dialogue box.

It worked for me with s4pe 0.2a, I can now open TS4 .package files in s4pe by just clicking them. Hope it works with whichever version of Windows you have.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 1:41 PM Last edited by zano972 : 24th Sep 2014 at 6:51 PM.
Hi all,

simfeetunder
:

If the tip that Esmeralda give you doesn't work, you can do it quick yourself...

1.) Run Regedit and create a new key inside HKCR (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT) : .package
2.) Give as default value to this new key: (i.e) : s4pe.package
3.) Create a new key (in the same location - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT) and give this new key the name you choose at point 2 (i.e: s4pe.package)
4.) Click on s4pe.package key and:
4.1) - Create a new key (as child of s4pe.package) --> shell
4.2) -Create a new key (as child of shell) s4pe.package --> shell --> open
4.3) Create a new key (as child of open) s4pe.package --> shell --> open --> command
4.4) Edit this last key: command and type in the FQ path where your s4pe.exe is saved with a %1 at the end as parameter
4.5) close regedit, try to assign again the extension .package to s4pe.exe
Finish.
It takes longer to write it as to do it.
So long.
Screenshots

If you want to know your future...create it!
*not to be found on sims4forum*
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 7:46 PM
Thanks @Esmeralda! http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithadd.htm worked!
There was no right click (on a package) open with choice but I double clicked the package and the little windows window popped up asking if it should look online for a program or if I wanted to choose, I clicked the "let me choose" one and s4pe showed up. yay!
And thanks zano, I think this post could also be helpful info for some.

Oh! And openwithadd, I found a reply/post from the creator somewhere stating that it works fine for windows 7, which is what I have, and it does
Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 8:14 PM Last edited by Esmeralda : 25th Sep 2014 at 12:01 PM.
That's great, glad to hear OpenWithAdd worked for you, and helpful to know it works with Win 7 too.

ETA: Just came back to add that I tried OpenWithAdd on Windows 8.1 and it works fine there too!
Test Subject
#6 Old 14th Oct 2014 at 8:12 AM
I had the same thing happen to me when I started using 0.2a (on Windows 7). I think for me I could set it to default once, then it forgot and wouldn't add it to list of programs. Luckily, I was able to set it as default after a simple restart. (I also used advanced systemscare and ccleaner to clean my registry, but I can't remember if I did that before or after restarting.)