Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 5:31 AM
Default Most Reliable - Portable Hard Drive Recommendations
So...I'm been burnt by Seagate's old 500gb portable hard drive product with their flimsy USB connection to the hard drive. I was wondering if any one has recommendations for an external hard drive.

I'm looking for a portable storage device that can be connected to a PC computer using one cable (no power/outlet connectors), OR wireless if possible (long-shot, sure). It's function is for archival purposes, or for playing movies/music. I plan to have it connected to my computer for most the time, but on certain occasions will need it for vacationing (using a laptop). Let's say for a price point of $250 for a really good reliable device.

I'd prefer it was quiet, & lasts for at least 5 years. I'd probably need 1 terabyte of storage, potentially more if the drive lasts more than 5 years. I'd like the device to be recognizable in Windows XP 64-bit, as I plan to continue with the operating system in the medium-term future. I'd prefer not to continue with Seagate's brand, due to the connection issue with the old portable drive.

I currently use a SSD where my operating system is stored. I have only a USB 2.0 set-up (not 3.0). Will I be needing those 7200rpm hard drives to keep it from being too slow to respond on my system?

What would you recommend?

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 2:14 PM
You might want to take a look at this list of reviews. CNET is very reputable and I find accurate.

http://www.cnet.com/topic-reviews/e...ve/usb-2-0.html

As for 7200rmp, this might be helpful.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19684_1...ive-for-laptop/
In the Arena
retired moderator
#3 Old 26th Jun 2013 at 4:10 PM
Any USB-connected drive would be the same way due to wear and tear when you plug the cable in and out of the port. Unless, it is permanently plugged in, that is. But that permanence would defeat the portability factor of an external HDD. If you have a Firewire port on the front panel, that's another option, but it is not transferable to other machines if the External HDD's enclosure only has one kind of port.

The last Western Digital I used as an external HDD, I made sure I had a variety of ports to select, not just USB 2.0. Because my casing's front panel has USB 2.0/3.0, Firewire 1394(a, I think?) & eSata. Which I made sure to have when I was shopping for a computer casing.
But when it failed after a year (the USB port connection not the HDD), I gave up and use it as an internal (instead of buying the umpteenth enclosure), and try to use Cloud Storage these days whenever applicable.
For data that is too big to be uploaded, I use a shared NAS-type setup which is accessible by all the machines in our house, including the (future) Smart TV we're going to purchase. Same thing for backup, any machine can backup to it under each user's profile.

Also, a 3.5" HDD is gonna need a second power cable. If you don't want that limitation of lugging around another power brick/power cable, your options are limited to the 2.5" HDDs.
What I'm getting at is the expectation of 5 years for a port that is heavily used from constant plugging in and out of PCs and laptops is a tad unrealistic and bound to disappoint when the darn thing fails in 2 years. Especially with the quality of cables these days. The HDD itself might outlast the enclosure (that houses the port), but you may need to replace the enclosure at some point. So look for a setup that is transferable and easy for the HDD to be extracted by yourself with a screwdriver or tool-less design.