Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 4:18 AM
Sims 3 in OS X.7.5 Lion. Can I make Xquartz my default app instead of x11?
I was reading that wine does not render anything related to 3D graphics onscreen, it says for OS 10.8 but it also says somewhere that the same problem happens in 10.7.5.
Posted on WineHQ Bugzilla -
Description thanoulas 2012-09-20 13:24:11 CDT
After updating to OS X 10.8.2, wine no longer renders anything related to 3D
graphics on screen.
the last line in the attached +relay,+seh,+tid log is
gdi32.__wine_get_wgl_driver
execution stops there.

Comment 1 julusp 2012-09-20 15:37:22 CDT
I can confirm also, AMD graphics card. Also the 10.7.5 is affected.
AFAIK the graphic drivers were updated in the last minor OSX release for 10.7
and 10.8.

Comment 2 julusp 2012-09-20 16:32:18 CDT
(In reply to comment #0)
> After updating to OS X 10.8.2, wine no longer renders anything related to 3D
> graphics on screen.
>
> the last line in the attached +relay,+seh,+tid log is
> gdi32.__wine_get_wgl_driver
>
> execution stops there.

There is no attachment here....

I have to turn off 3d rendering to play The Sims 3 (1.50 patch, haven't tried turning it on since I bought Pets and the new 1.55 patch came out) I am wondering if making xQuartz my default for what I'm guessing is graphics (computer retarded here) if it would help my MacBook Pro run the game?(see signature for more info about my computer). I am thinking Cider was used to port the Sims3 to the Mac so I have no idea if any of this is relevant If it is I want to make XQUARTZ my default whatever instead of X11.

Any thoughts or info on this would be helpful. I first heard of XQUARTZ in a post by Crystal-Zelda. Anyway here is some more info that might be helpful to someone that understands this kind of stuff.

Also posted on WineHQ Bugzilla -
I have a workaround ready for XQuartz:
http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-de...ber/033688.html
Comment 8

Will any of this help my game run better with smoother graphics?Many thanks in advance for even reading this whole thing!!
Deborah0702
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 26th Jun 2013 at 5:05 PM
I've read that it doesn't help.
The issue is inherent in the Sims 3 coding too, not just the Cider wrapper. Using Wine is going to introduce another layer for the game to "talk" to other than OSX and Cider and then back and forth to the Sims 3 game coding? I'm not really clear on how it works. But my gut says that the issue can only be fixed if EA changes the Sims 3 coding and how it "talks" to OSX via Cider and how Apple is coding its device drivers (which is embedded in the OS, instead of a separate device driver like for Windows). Which means, to get the latest Device Drivers for your graphics card, you'd need to update your OSX to the current OSX 10.8.x version. (Or 10.9 soon).

There are some threads in the OSX subforum (and the archives, if you search) where players are still complaining of the issues that are still occurring for OSX Simmers no matter whether they have Quartz or not.

As for how to make another app the default over the original, I think you may have better success in an Apple forum? I don't have an OSX system to play around with to experiment.

Quote:
What this forum is for:
In this forum you can discuss most things related to computers. New software or computer hardware you want to talk about? Need help building/buying a computer, or maybe just upgrading your old one? Computer you have isn't working properly? You've come to the right place!

No Sims Tech Help!
  • Any threads posted here asking for The Sims 2 or The Sims 3 help will be closed!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Jun 2013 at 3:11 AM
Thank you so much ellacharmed. Your answer was very interesting. With the latest update and more sparing use of CC :-/ my game seems to be running without the horrible graphics glitches I was having before. I am thankful for this. Since 1.55 patch seems to have helped my siming experience I will probably wait for the new "surfer" OS. I forget the name at the moment.
Again thank you for your thoughtful and easy to understand reply.
You are one of my very favorite people on MTS even if you are disenchanted. I hope you continue to answer questions like mine.

I am now using an iMac 24 inch with an M1 chip
and playing The Sims 3 and The Sims 2 Super Collection. Just started playing again.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#4 Old 1st Jul 2013 at 7:19 AM
Yeah, sorry I can be of much help as I'm handicapped by not having an OSX machine to test around in and put the game through its paces. I answer what I can by reading other posts, but is still not the same as experiencing it myself.

Locking, then. If you need further help, post in the OSX forum.