Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
#7126 Old 23rd May 2017 at 11:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
PaintShop Pro is likely crashing because it's a fairly big full-featured program and is probably competing with your game for available RAM. (Photoshop will probably also have this problem.) You should consider something smaller and more basic just to take screenshots with. You can always run your full-featured photo editing program after your gaming session to edit the screenshots.

Try using Alt + TAB while you're playing to switch between your full-screen game and your graphics program (Irfanview, Windows Paint etc.). Windows doesn't usually like to do that with full-screen programs, but it is sometimes possible. My old laptop didn't like it, but my new desktop computer doesn't seem to mind.

If you can successfully use Alt + TAB while playing fullscreen on your computer, all you have to do is use the "Print Screen" key to dump your screen capture to memory and then switch to nearly any graphics program and paste your screenshot into it.

I like to use Irfanview for this kind of thing. It's very small in memory and very stable. The interface can take some getting used to though.

If you're using Windows, you can always use the built-in Paint program. It's very basic, but it will convert .bmp files to .jpg

I've had the PS Pro for .. well a long time.. and have used it lots. It's only just recently that it has gotten cranky and has started crashin. Not sure what the issue is as I've not changed anything in my computer since the upgrade was done in January. (and yes, it worked fine after the comp upgrade) I will try closin Sims and see if it still crashes. It shouldn't, but it is an old program so who knows what thinks MS has gone 'n changed that is now screwin things up.

I've used alt/ tab in the past to toggle between programs, but as my keyboard has a windows button on it I generally use that to get back to the desktop. I use fraps to take the pics while in the game and then pop out and use program to 'fix' them. In the past I've tried usin Gimp, but since its quiet a bit different than what I'm used to I usually tend to get frustrated w/ it and close it.

I have (I think) successfully figured out how to use Gimp enough to get a few pics converted, but I most def want one that is much easier for my muddled brain :D
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#7127 Old 23rd May 2017 at 11:50 AM
Okay, that may explain it. I've heard that old versions of PSP don't work well with recent versions of Windows.

As I said - if all you really need to do is convert .bmp files to .jpg files, you can use the built-in Windows Paint program or Irfanview or lots of other programs to do that after you finish your gaming session. You don't need a full-featured photo editor just to do something simple like file conversion.
Field Researcher
#7128 Old 23rd May 2017 at 4:09 PM
I use Gadwin instead of Fraps. It will save in any format you like - jpg, png, bmp - works with full screen or windowed, saves where you want it to save. No file conversion necessary. You can set the size of the screenshot you want to save too. You can save hundreds of shots at a time if you want to. I've used it for years.
Field Researcher
#7129 Old 23rd May 2017 at 5:04 PM
I have a question about the semesters at uni. If I use a global mod that makes time pass at 50% its original speed, will my semesters change according to the mod or according to the in game mechanics? Do semesters change based on a set timer, say after 72 original in game hours, or do they change when they reach a certain hour in the game, regardless of how long it takes to get to that hour?

Kind of like with the same mod, the carpool might come at 9am. The game just sends the carpool at 9, regardless of how long it took to actually get to 9am.

Or is it like pregnancy, where there's a set number of hours that have to pass before the next stage, instead of it being scheduled at a certain hour?

I hope that makes sense...
Scholar
#7130 Old 23rd May 2017 at 5:12 PM
I get what you mean; not sure how it would work though, both possibilities seem likely. If a semester lasts 72h, it could use default game hours, but it’s as well likely that it would use the defined time that the mod changes. I’d just check it in a test hood

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7131 Old 23rd May 2017 at 5:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat
I've had the PS Pro for .. well a long time.. and have used it lots. It's only just recently that it has gotten cranky and has started crashin. Not sure what the issue is as I've not changed anything in my computer since the upgrade was done in January. (and yes, it worked fine after the comp upgrade) I will try closin Sims and see if it still crashes. It shouldn't, but it is an old program so who knows what thinks MS has gone 'n changed that is now screwin things up.

My PSP has been less stable since the last Win10 update - I rolled that back but it's done some damage with PSP and other programmes. grrrrrr

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#7132 Old 23rd May 2017 at 8:20 PM
Will dormies starve themselves to death on a dorm lot without a cafeteria? (Even if there are kitchenettes in the suites on that lot?)

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#7133 Old 23rd May 2017 at 8:24 PM
if there is a kitchen. mine usually just go make stuff. If you don't have the mod that stops them going for pizza, they do that as well. I remember with the frat house, before the mod that stops them from going for pizza constantly, Castor Nova was frequently bringing a pie home

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#7134 Old 23rd May 2017 at 8:28 PM
Dormies don't go for pizza. That's a Greek perk. I'm pretty sure that dormies replenish all their needs when they retreat into their dorms, like apartment neighbors do.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#7135 Old 23rd May 2017 at 8:38 PM
Pescado has a mod that makes dormies have to actually fix their needs, though I forget the name. So make sure you don't have that, or if this is for a lot upload, maybe mention it so people that have it don't end up with a bunch of dead dormies because they forgot they had it.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7136 Old 23rd May 2017 at 8:57 PM
Isn't it noundeaddormies?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Alchemist
#7137 Old 23rd May 2017 at 9:02 PM
Season's rounded pool corners.
place-able only when the edge/edges touch pool?
only straight placement or can there be also diagonal placement?

Season's Build Mode object in swimming pool section named Kronklehorn; is that the pool slide or something else?

newly created neighborhoods after Seasons installation; which seasons and in which order would those neighborhoods start with (before player changes the seasons)?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7138 Old 23rd May 2017 at 9:04 PM
I believe they start on the second season which by default is summer

Mad Poster
#7139 Old 23rd May 2017 at 9:37 PM
Is it safe to update a custom food to a fixed version of the same item? Specifically, a fixed name for the food, as the originally downloaded one is just showing up as "Layer Cake" in the fridge menu (so I have two "Layer Cake" and no way of knowing which is which). I know deleting custom foods can cause corruption which is why I used to have a strict policy of testing all new custom foods in a test hood, but I got lazy and now I'm regretting it. Will fixing the name so it shows up as itself rather than "Layer Cake" break a bunch of sim's memories and want trees and whatnot? I don't think of my sims have ever actually made this custom food (unless they did so when I wasn't looking), but they may very well have ordered it at a restaurant.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7140 Old 23rd May 2017 at 9:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
Is it safe to update a custom food to a fixed version of the same item? Specifically, a fixed name for the food, as the originally downloaded one is just showing up as "Layer Cake" in the fridge menu (so I have two "Layer Cake" and no way of knowing which is which). I know deleting custom foods can cause corruption which is why I used to have a strict policy of testing all new custom foods in a test hood, but I got lazy and now I'm regretting it. Will fixing the name so it shows up as itself rather than "Layer Cake" break a bunch of sim's memories and want trees and whatnot? I don't think of my sims have ever actually made this custom food (unless they did so when I wasn't looking), but they may very well have ordered it at a restaurant.

Should be fine as long as you didn't change the GUID. I edit stuff like that all the time.

Mad Poster
#7141 Old 23rd May 2017 at 9:46 PM
Thanks, maxon! I was having a really cruddy day (or maybe more like a week), and discovering this misnamed food and thinking I'd accidentally screwed up idk how many hoods was just making everything worse! But now I feel better!
Mad Poster
#7142 Old 23rd May 2017 at 10:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Isn't it noundeaddormies?

nouniprotect is the mod.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7143 Old 23rd May 2017 at 10:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
nouniprotect is the mod.

Oh yes - wondering now what noundeaddormies is. I must have it for a reason.

Scholar
#7144 Old 23rd May 2017 at 10:35 PM
Isn’t also self preservation (I think it’s Cyjon’s) important if you have nouniprotect? I have both and it’s fine in general, dormies don’t die, however they glitch sometimes – I’ve seen at least two that got stuck in a faded dorm room and were just standing there instead of fulfilling their needs, so I deleted them with moveobjects to make them come back with needs fulfilled, I didn’t want them to die because of that glitch.
I also have apthack so to have apartment residents with needs fulfilled, their flats need to include necessary objects.

Simblr
Mad Poster
#7145 Old 23rd May 2017 at 10:48 PM
I've seen dormies glitch like that (or at least something very similar to that) way back when I was first playing uni, and I don't think I had any mods in at all at the time.
Forum Resident
#7146 Old 24th May 2017 at 1:09 AM
@Voeille You are actually the first person I've heard of who plays with nouniprotect yet also tries to protect the dormies after all. It does make sense based on your approach to the game (you seem an idealist for your sims' lives, if I understand correctly), and possibly playing with both is not as unusual as I think. But if I may ask, do you just have nouniprotect in for realism? Then Cyjon's mod in to ensure it's not too tragic in its effects?

Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Oh yes - wondering now what noundeaddormies is. I must have it for a reason.

That's the one which prevents getting assigned new dormies who are already zombies, like when one of your sims moves out of the dorm.

I've always figured it must have been released in conjunction with or in preparation for his zombie apocalypse mod, with which being auto-assigned a new zombie dormie could doom a whole dorm. Not that I claim to be privy to Pescado's thinking...

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Mad Poster
#7147 Old 24th May 2017 at 1:28 AM
The game defaults to summer/fall/winter/spring and most of the lots in new neighborhoods start on the last day of the first season.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#7148 Old 24th May 2017 at 2:06 AM
@natboobsie
Not sure if I have those mods for strictly realistic purposes (that is, I’m not trying to make the game feel as similar to real life as possible, I like supernatural aspects and I don’t mind things typical to sim world, such as getting cutlery or mops from nowhere, and I can use those things for convenience, for example I make my sims do homework on the pavement), but it just makes sense that needs decay and sims need to take care of them And yes I wouldn’t like dormies starving, if I wanted ghosts I’d use cowplant or set a token, because then they just disappear and I don’t see them suffering like while starving or being set on fire. Not sure how sims act while drowning (I don’t think I’ve ever seen that) but it doesn’t seem nice either. It’s similar to apthack, it just is logical that sims’ needs depend on what is in their apartment. It also is a reason for why I don’t have certain mods, for example those that make owned business customers not lose their money and not have bought items in their inventory. I wouldn’t like that because it doesn’t make sense that they buy something and the owner earns money, but they don’t lose it and don’t have the item they got.

Simblr
Mad Poster
#7149 Old 24th May 2017 at 7:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
Thanks, maxon! I was having a really cruddy day (or maybe more like a week), and discovering this misnamed food and thinking I'd accidentally screwed up idk how many hoods was just making everything worse! But now I feel better!

I had to change a whole heap of custom foods that had crappy naming and crappy pie menus and nothing has exploded for me (yet).

Quote: Originally posted by natboopsie
@Voeille You are actually the first person I've heard of who plays with nouniprotect yet also tries to protect the dormies after all. It does make sense based on your approach to the game (you seem an idealist for your sims' lives, if I understand correctly), and possibly playing with both is not as unusual as I think. But if I may ask, do you just have nouniprotect in for realism? Then Cyjon's mod in to ensure it's not too tragic in its effects?

I don't think that nouniprotect was made so you could starve your dormies. It is to just add realism. To me it's more weird to have it in only to torture dormies; having it in and still making sure their needs are met is normal.
Forum Resident
#7150 Old 24th May 2017 at 2:22 PM Last edited by natboopsie : 24th May 2017 at 2:50 PM.
Thank you, Voeille, for the further insight into your playstyle. Yes, I was thinking you wouldn't want to use something like nouniprotect in the way that it was intended. I'm interested in realistic, sensible play too...challenging yes, but torturing as a pastime, no, so I can relate.

Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I don't think that nouniprotect was made so you could starve your dormies. It is to just add realism. To me it's more weird to have it in only to torture dormies; having it in and still making sure their needs are met is normal.

Er...that is a sweet opinion to have and says you are a kind person. But it is a Pescado mod, and so not surprisingly, torturing and killing dormies *was* his whole reason to make the mod originally. You can check that out here; his opening paragraph in that thread introducing the mod doesn't leave much question as to what he hoped it would achieve. Pescado liked sim misery and liked even more to facilitate it...and that particular mod was no exception to that tendency.

(And let me say that I do not play with nouniprotect, just had read Pescado's discussions about it before---that was why I asked Voeille my question above, because I wanted to understand more why her playstyle would include it, considering what she'd described of her simming elsewhere. Me, I just tend to enjoy running full households as much as possible, so I've never focused that much on resident dormies because in my dorms, they're not often living there for long, if at all. My sims mostly meet dormies around campus and sometimes in the main hood---I have a hack for the latter that I play some hoods with---and I'm not unhappy to just leave most details offscreen of how their needs get met.)

ETA: Regardless of how Pescado intended it, though, the mod does seem useful as part of a plan for upping the makes-sense level of one's game. If I ever start to play dorms in a way that leaves more room for resident dormies, now I might consider putting it in.

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Page 286 of 1347