Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#2876 Old 19th May 2017 at 7:13 PM
I've never had food spoil in the inventory. Wonder if it could be an unintended/undocumented feature of a hack.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2877 Old 20th May 2017 at 4:25 AM
Edited my post above to reflect that Charity had a smarter idea for OFB owners.

Quote: Originally posted by frogz2007
I've put food in the inventory before (not by using the Make Many interaction) and it never spoiled. I think it's just a thing specific to the make many interaction. It was probably done deliberately.

Make Many food kept in the inventory absolutely does not spoil in the unmodded game. I added OFB before adding any mods for OFB (I didn't have or know about any mods at all back then; it was a big deal for me just to be adding one EP at a time, so I installed OFB after having and playing with Uni and then adding and playing with NL), and that's how it went: no spoilage whether using Make or Make Many.

Actually, I am in the camp that has never seen inventoried food spoil. I even have had a number of takeaway food businesses where the owner would routinely make food ahead of time and not necessarily sell out before going home (I gave them short business hours sometimes) and also not go to the business every simday either. In fact, at one point I changed someone's stock so that she had to resort to just giving away the last few platters of a dish I had had her stop selling, and I am sure she always used Make Many to make all her inventory---I don't have the patience for Make when making business stock. Those remaining dishes were good in her inventory for something like a sim week while she slowly doled them out, and they were good in the gift-receiving sims' inventories and then lasted the usual amount of time when taken out to eat at those sims' homes.

Additionally, like Peni noted, for me food in the inventory retains its exact freshness state just like putting food in the fridge does---if it's hot when it goes in, it's hot when it comes out. (That's always made me wonder about sim fridges, I gotta say! Clearly the sim concept of refrigeration is not the same as ours...) Sometimes things like half-eaten pizzas come out pretty disarrayed, but they're still edible (according to my sims, lol) and even sometimes get visually fixed if put back in inventory again and taken out later on.

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Top Secret Researcher
#2878 Old 20th May 2017 at 4:48 AM
I haven't done put a lot of food in inventory but I do it for cake and pizza a lot, because it takes so much time to put them in the fridge piece by piece I just say to heck with it and put it in inventory, and they never spoil that way.

My Simblr
He/They
Forum Resident
#2879 Old 20th May 2017 at 5:12 AM Last edited by natboopsie : 20th May 2017 at 5:36 AM.
I just want to check something with those of you who are saying food spoils in the inventory. Are you saying it wasn't spoiled when it went in there but was *already* spoiled when you took it out? That is, that time appeared to pass for it while in inventory?

Because I'm wondering: is it possible that it was left out for a while, placed in inventory, and then shortly after taking it out it then spoiled? Could that be a case where the dish just ran out its total timer, based on the time before and after it was in inventory?

I mean, inventory should, AFAIK, freeze any dish's timer to stop it from getting any closer to spoiling. But I have had it happen where I put something in the inventory that had actually sat out for too long already, so when I set it on the counter later, it spoiled within sim minutes.

ETA: So if time is passing for your food in inventory, I really would be interested. I'm also trying to think what implications that should have for other things in inventory...like, art might change value? Unless it's just a food thing, which I'm thinking is a glitch...or a mod, as ihate suggested.

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2880 Old 20th May 2017 at 5:21 AM
Food does not spoil in inventory, I have had birthday cakes in there for years, still good. I have never used a don't spoil mod, it spoils on the table like normal.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#2881 Old 20th May 2017 at 5:39 AM
An infallibly good witch/warlock servo gets a blue eye - it overrides the red vampire eye. My hood's servo, V.I.C.I. - named after the robot girl from Small Wonder - rolled vampire and witch.
Mad Poster
#2882 Old 20th May 2017 at 1:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by natboopsie
I just want to check something with those of you who are saying food spoils in the inventory. Are you saying it wasn't spoiled when it went in there but was *already* spoiled when you took it out? That is, that time appeared to pass for it while in inventory?

Because I'm wondering: is it possible that it was left out for a while, placed in inventory, and then shortly after taking it out it then spoiled? Could that be a case where the dish just ran out its total timer, based on the time before and after it was in inventory?

I mean, inventory should, AFAIK, freeze any dish's timer to stop it from getting any closer to spoiling. But I have had it happen where I put something in the inventory that had actually sat out for too long already, so when I set it on the counter later, it spoiled within sim minutes.

ETA: So if time is passing for your food in inventory, I really would be interested. I'm also trying to think what implications that should have for other things in inventory...like, art might change value? Unless it's just a food thing, which I'm thinking is a glitch...or a mod, as ihate suggested.

I haven't done it in a long while, but when I would serve cake or use the "make" interaction, I would get a pop up in, maybe a sims day, saying my pixel was disgusted by the spoiled food in his inventory.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Scholar
#2883 Old 20th May 2017 at 3:10 PM
That is a moodlet in TS3 (-10 mood disgusted), and it disappears after 10 sim-minutes after you got rid of the food. I don’t recall a pop-up like that in TS2, but I don’t use the make many option often.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Mad Poster
#2884 Old 20th May 2017 at 8:29 PM
That was quite surprising for me - I had figured that food in inventory wouldn't spoil in Sims 3, just like in Sims 2.
Scholar
#2885 Old 20th May 2017 at 9:32 PM
Speaking of spoiled food, I now recall that I once did see a sim taking leftovers out of the fridge but as soon as it get out, it disappeared. I thought it was too old so my sim throw it away but maybe it was my game glitching.
Mad Poster
#2886 Old 20th May 2017 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
I haven't done it in a long while, but when I would serve cake or use the "make" interaction, I would get a pop up in, maybe a sims day, saying my pixel was disgusted by the spoiled food in his inventory.

Are you SURE this is TS2? I've definitely seen that in Sims 3+ but never in TS2. And I used to keep a lot of cake in inventory with the Jacquets.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Link Ninja
#2887 Old 20th May 2017 at 10:59 PM
Cake doesn't spoil in inventory in TS2. Food is like frozen in time as soon as it goes into the backpack. I have so many college students packing leftover pizzas it's insane but always good to eat.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Forum Resident
#2888 Old 21st May 2017 at 3:16 AM Last edited by natboopsie : 21st May 2017 at 4:47 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1

Thank you so much for explaining, smorbie1! Then we've solved the mystery of your report. As Voielle and simsfreq have said, that is a Sims 3 occurrence only, and I saw it when I briefly played Sims 3 as well. I promise you that there is no such popup in Sims 2. In part, it would be impossible because sims in Sims 2 do not have any inventory awareness whatsoever. have very little inventory awareness, and none relating to prepared food. You know how in Sims 3 they can eat stuff out of their inventory when they're hungry, as if it's a sack lunch? They can't do that in Sims 2...because in Sims 2 inventoried items simply temporarily don't exist for anyone on the lot.

Need further proof? Take the case of gravestones. Put all gravestones in a Sims 2 lot in someone's inventory and you stop their mourning, because as far as they are concerned there are no gravestones there. They may still cry from a *memory* of somesim's death, but they don't mourn because they need a gravestone for that...and they recognize no gravestones on the lot. Sims 2 inventory = limbo, and they can't perceive it.

ETA: As Annaminna reminds below, there are a few Uni and Seasons items they can autonomously retrieve from inventory. (Thank you, Annaminna!) However...their moods still are not directly changed by the state or presence of anything they are currently holding in inventory, while it is in inventory. That is not part of the shipped Sims 2 game or any of its official EPs.

Which just leaves this mystery...

Quote: Originally posted by frogz2007
I actually just tried the Make Many interaction today (Natasha Una emptied her fridge by making craploads of grilled cheese sandwiches) and the food DID actually spoil. 17 plates of grilled cheese wasted.... lol.

@frogz2007 Can you help us some more to figure out this issue by maybe providing a screenshot or something of what happened at Natasha Una's, or answering my question in post 2944?

Quote: Originally posted by Mrmo
Speaking of spoiled food, I now recall that I once did see a sim taking leftovers out of the fridge but as soon as it get out, it disappeared. I thought it was too old so my sim throw it away but maybe it was my game glitching.

You are right on the latter. That *is* a glitch, and I have sometimes seen it too. Some mods which affect leftovers will cause the behavior, especially if installed after the leftovers existed. There's also a mod conflict between Squinge's version of moveawayfromfridge and Dizzy's Leftover Hack (which forces sims to get an existing leftover instead of making new food when hungry) that will cause disappearing food. But the disappearing is *not* the same as food spoiling, and there are no reports that it's connected to food having spoiled. Food doesn't ever disappear on its own just because it's spoiled---it just gets the green fumes and your sim has to dispose of it.

(If you want to read more about the disappearing food problem, there were threads at Insimenator and at MATY about this issue, but neither one came up with a definitive solution before petering out. Not even Pescado's dontshootfood mod is a 100% fix, sadly.)

Mad Poster
#2889 Old 21st May 2017 at 3:46 AM
They are still a bit aware about their inventory. These 3 items what came with Uni: cellphone, gameboy and mp3 player. And caught fish what they can autonomously cook

When I was reading Sims 3 manual they said they separated Sims 2 inventory into 2 different: personal and family inventory.
In Sims 2 they are all in one, so some items are personal.
Forum Resident
#2890 Old 21st May 2017 at 3:59 AM
Many thanks, Annaminna! Quite right, and I have edited my post to reflect your clarification.

Mad Poster
#2891 Old 21st May 2017 at 4:15 AM
Not sure if food what is especially made for contest will go bad if contest will not start right after making food. Can anyone test it?
Forum Resident
#2892 Old 21st May 2017 at 4:22 AM
Ah, I can tell you that it doesn't; it can be taken home and used normally, out of the inventory. Done it many times.

You see, all my hoods start out with empty fridges, and my quirky rule is that sims have to want a job first before they can look for one. Thus, many of them don't have much in the way of household funds at first, so sometimes I use cooking-contest kitchens to allow them to essentially make a dish by paying for just the food points needed for that dish---without having to own a business lot (I know, hot dogs are free on community lots, but at least this way they can have something other than hot dogs!). And then instead of entering the cooking contest (say, if they're not a Cuisine sim and rolled no wants to enter it), they'd then just take home all the food that they made. None of those dishes have ever behaved in any way differently than food they made at home: serves, lasts, and cleans up the same. Creates leftovers which behave normally too.

Mad Poster
#2893 Old 21st May 2017 at 10:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mrmo

The only time I've had that was when I was testing custom foods and I removed one of them while there were still leftovers of it in the fridge. The next time someone took the leftovers out they would disappear.
Lab Assistant
#2894 Old 21st May 2017 at 5:44 PM
Earning hobby enthusiasm while sleeping?
My sim was dreaming about the fried eggs in a pan, and then the wine and cheese hobby enthusiasm symbol followed. I'm sure others know of this, I just haven't had Freetime installed that long so it surprised me.

"Nothing is what rocks dream about." - Aristotle
Mad Poster
#2895 Old 23rd May 2017 at 6:55 PM
I found out that teens can go sit in the tree play house!

I'd sent two of Mortimer's kids, one a teen and the other a kid to the playground with one, and the teens climbed into it and sat down to chat with each other.

The kids just ignored them.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#2896 Old 24th May 2017 at 8:00 AM
I think your naming thing is dodgy lol.
Scholar
#2897 Old 24th May 2017 at 3:12 PM
I discovered I have way too many things in my game because I can't freaking find anything.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Scholar
#2898 Old 25th May 2017 at 9:56 PM
I did see a "though bubble" I have not seen before. I had sent one of my sims to a park and thought it would look funny if she did some fishing in the pond (very forbidden activities indeed ). A few of the others did follow her example and I discovered that one of them, a random townie, had som "panic thought bubbles" (like they can have when they are to boored, sleepy etc). But this sim ha like a constellation (google that) in her bubble and when she had that she just stoped fishing. The townie had this "panic thoughts" a few times and I was like: Do you have some hobby crisis reffering to stargazing or what? What was that about?
Mad Poster
#2899 Old 25th May 2017 at 10:15 PM
Alchemist
#2900 Old 25th May 2017 at 10:29 PM
about portrait arranging; also other ages that have same number of days left.
Page 116 of 445