Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th May 2017 at 2:31 AM
Default Losing Respect for Creators
Does anyone else lose respect for creators when they start being greedy? i.e a popular creator is putting CC into pack and then putting 1-3 link shorteners if you download them free/seperately. Do things like this cause anyone else to completely lose respect for a creator?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 7th May 2017 at 5:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by neontardis
Does anyone else lose respect for creators when they start being greedy? i.e a popular creator is putting CC into pack and then putting 1-3 link shorteners if you download them free/seperately. Do things like this cause anyone else to completely lose respect for a creator?

How about eight link shorteners? Yes. Eight. Jennisims was the culprit. There are sites that will decode short links for you and show you what's behind them. I took a Jennisims download I was interested in and did that - came up with eight different pay links attached to it. That's just pathetic.
Alchemist
#3 Old 7th May 2017 at 7:01 AM
I truly support ripping custom content from creators who use adfly and just putting it somewhere more available.

The most beautiful website in the world
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 7th May 2017 at 12:13 PM
I just use AdBlock. As for paid content...

Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
The most beautiful website in the world

Though I don't think it's being updated anymore.
Instructor
#5 Old 7th May 2017 at 4:12 PM
get AdF.ly Skipper

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Field Researcher
#6 Old 7th May 2017 at 5:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chax
Yeah. The other day, I was downloading custom content. Came across one "article" on a creator's website (or tumblr, whatever it was). It was several plants in different colours. You had one link for each plant and then more to get all of the colours. Something like that. Of course, each link had an adfly on it. I didn't download any of it.

See adfly bye bye CC, and I don't ever go back to those sites. Might miss some CC but I'll live without it.
Scholar
#7 Old 7th May 2017 at 11:10 PM
Nope, not losing respect over this. I expect people to pay for my e-books, so should I stopp respecting myself, too? (Well, tbh DID stopp respecting myself, but not over my "greed" of wanting to be payed for my work).
Forum Resident
#8 Old 7th May 2017 at 11:57 PM
I don't usually mind, until someone puts adfly on a link to a retexture/conversion. But the original mesh creator doesn't even have it on their own item.

If the original creator doesn't have it why are you monetizing your retexture of THEIR item?
I'm waiting until some amends their TOS with "no adfly on rextures" cause that's incredibly rude.
Scholar
#9 Old 8th May 2017 at 12:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Weisskreuz
I don't usually mind, until someone puts adfly on a link to a retexture/conversion. But the original mesh creator doesn't even have it on their own item.

If the original creator doesn't have it why are you monetizing your retexture of THEIR item?
I'm waiting until some amends their TOS with "no adfly on rextures" cause that's incredibly rude.

As if most people even follow someone's TOS. I see tons of conversions stuck behind adfly or those other link payout services all the time.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 8th May 2017 at 12:09 AM
I create too, but I hate adfly. I tried to use once and I was pissed at it. It gives bad fishy thing to downloaders and loud videos forcefully, plus it pays like 0,000001 cent per click. I prefer if people click on google ads link in my blog, like I do to other blogs when I see an ad to amazon or something trustworthy.

Also I even thought of putting a donate button, because I kinda am without $ to keep buying packs and that makes my production of more CC more restricted (no access to new meshes and etc), but I feel kinda embarassed of doing it.

I mean, I do CC because I love sims and it doesn't have things I want in the game, not because of $ primarily. Of course I would accept if somebody would donate or want to gift me a game, but I feel like if I put a donation link in my blog people would feel forced to do so or intimidated by it, so I didn't lol
Forum Resident
#11 Old 8th May 2017 at 12:49 AM
I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I can understand a creator's frustration with putting time, energy and creativity into a project and not get anything in return. On the other hand, I hate it when a site says their content is free, then turns around and punishes the user with long wait times because they are not a paid subscriber and won't turn off their ad-blocker.

TheSimsResource charges a $3.50 "donation". Those who don't pay have to watch a 60-second countdown. And if you open another TSR page while waiting, the countdown on the first page pauses until you return. In essence, it holds the user hostage.

Personally, I think sites should have an easy to see Paypal Donation button with a nice note that says, "If you enjoy what I make, please consider making a small donation."

FYI: I play only Sims 2 and am blessed in that there is plenty of free content for that game.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#12 Old 8th May 2017 at 12:28 PM
I'd rather see ads than have a 60 second wait

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
dodgy builder
#13 Old 8th May 2017 at 1:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones

Only if I can't watch something else while I wait. Ads are ok if they don't pester me.
dodgy builder
#14 Old 8th May 2017 at 1:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aparkison
As if most people even follow someone's TOS. I see tons of conversions stuck behind adfly or those other link payout services all the time.

As a long time creator I can assure you, you are wrong. I upload on trusted sites and try to be trustwurthy though.

I had a copyright claim from YouTube yesterday. They keep track. Follow the rules or you end up with a video without music. Og someone complains on your site or your video, on YouTube you might be taken down, my blog might be taken down if enough people complain.

Someone might complain on content uploaded on mts, saying It's a copy of their work, the uploader might be banned.

You have to search for sites that gives a damn these days, and they are shrinking by the minutes. I have seen people saying It's too difficult being a creator these days, and give up.

Mediafire received lots of complaints about trusted sims creators, and took down tonns of content from among others Luna. She now has a site with pictures and no downloads.

You better make sure you have permission and credit where credits due these days.

There is always young people who think they can do as they like. They have a lesson to learn that 's all.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 8th May 2017 at 2:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AlineFrrr
I create too, but I hate adfly. I tried to use once and I was pissed at it. It gives bad fishy thing to downloaders and loud videos forcefully, plus it pays like 0,000001 cent per click. I prefer if people click on google ads link in my blog, like I do to other blogs when I see an ad to amazon or something trustworthy.

Also I even thought of putting a donate button, because I kinda am without $ to keep buying packs and that makes my production of more CC more restricted (no access to new meshes and etc), but I feel kinda embarassed of doing it.

I mean, I do CC because I love sims and it doesn't have things I want in the game, not because of $ primarily. Of course I would accept if somebody would donate or want to gift me a game, but I feel like if I put a donation link in my blog people would feel forced to do so or intimidated by it, so I didn't lol

I have no problem with creator asks for a donation. I understand that some don't have the extra resources to keep up with all the packs. Just tell up front you would like small donation. Don't tell me it's free then put it behind something like ad fly. If I think that it's worth I will give a small amount for the creator.
Instructor
#16 Old 8th May 2017 at 3:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones

and you use adblockplus to get rid of them

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#17 Old 8th May 2017 at 3:46 PM
I don't use an adblocker, because I think seeing ads is a fair payment for enjoying the content of a site.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Inventor
#18 Old 8th May 2017 at 4:41 PM
'Adblock Plus Is Now Selling "Acceptable" Ads'
http://lifehacker.com/adblock-plus-...-ads-1786589122
Mad Poster
#19 Old 8th May 2017 at 6:34 PM Last edited by HarVee : 8th May 2017 at 6:45 PM.
Which by allowing 'acceptable ads' they are defeating purpose of their plugin making themselves redundant. But, this is why you get uBlock Origin (not related to anything EA) instead of AdBlock Plus. I removed Plus long time ago and do not really regret it. uBlock works better and takes less resources and most of the master-lists from Plus that block ads also work with uBlock.

But back to main topic, I agree. It hard to keep respect for people that do something illegal. It is againt EA EULA to sell custom content or make money from it. This has been long debated in Sims community, and I thought MTS was against pay content, but now Delphy adds place for people to their Patreon links to? What's with that?

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

dodgy builder
#21 Old 8th May 2017 at 8:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
It's that slippery slope of donation vs payment. But everyone is just always looking for extra cash, it is the human nature. I find as the world progress, people care less about things such as honor, respect, etc... It is always about money, shamelessly exploiting loopholes etc...

... or just pay something to fill the stomack. I do realise those circumstances is likely to be ignored.

Quote: Originally posted by AlineFrrr

lol, if that is the case I wonder why people keep using it. I'm kind of puzzled, what do people do that actually earn money on their creation, is it only popularity that drives income? I know I never got any income from clicks on commertials, so I dropped it. I'm not going to go the Adfly direction, and I have tried enough solutions as to know it's not going to pay off.
Now I have a donation button for paypal, but that doesn't pay either.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 8th May 2017 at 11:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
... or just pay something to fill the stomack. I do realise those circumstances is likely to be ignored.

lol, if that is the case I wonder why people keep using it. I'm kind of puzzled, what do people do that actually earn money on their creation, is it only popularity that drives income? I know I never got any income from clicks on commertials, so I dropped it. I'm not going to go the Adfly direction, and I have tried enough solutions as to know it's not going to pay off.
Now I have a donation button for paypal, but that doesn't pay either.

Well maybe a patreon? Google ads add it slowly. But you sure can reach some coins to get a stuff pack or something. That is why i always click amazon ads in sites that I enjoy and are free.

I never did the donation button, maybe I will someday. But still would feel weird doing it XD
Instructor
#23 Old 9th May 2017 at 12:36 AM Last edited by Butterbot : 9th May 2017 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Typo
Sorry to be somewhat off topic, but the main reason I still use ABP is that their element-hiding selector (with Element Hiding Helper installed) is much more intuitive and faster to use than uBlock's. This feature is as important, IMO, as ad blocking, since it can be used to block all kinds of junk such as obnoxious social media "share" icons, follow/subscribe nag messages, floating toolbars, useless UI elements that you have scroll past to reach meaningful content, auto-play music, etc.

For those who want even more control, uMatrix is well worth its small learning curve. It displays cookies, scripts, and other content being pulled in from third-parties--such as analytics services--each time a page is loaded. These can then be selectively blocked.

Ok, back on topic. Adfly and TSR are never a problem given the above, aside from the wait times, so I don't mind if people use them.

Own Grandma's Canning Station? Check out the Canning Station Overhaul.
Like doing laundry? Check out the Infinite Laundry Buffs Fix.
Instructor
#25 Old 9th May 2017 at 6:29 AM Last edited by Dixieland : 9th May 2017 at 6:41 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon

Hmm, I'm always interested in better anti-ad tools, thanks for the heads up. I actually don't use Adblock Plus, I use just "Adblock." I think this was the original adblock and while it does have 'acceptable ads,' you can disable this in the check list to disallow those ads too. The only problem is that they seem to have hit a road block on some popups using "data:text" or random div link generators.

I've been using Adguard for the last few months. Used the trial of the full version: Most excellent. New updates every few hours, even some threat protection... After the trial expired, I tricked it into letting me try it longer. Then my trick died a cruel death and I decided that such a worthy foe was worth the money, so I bought two full versions of it for the price of a discounted single full version around the December holidays. Win-win.
Plus, poor, neglected PeerBlock still works pretty good, so I just keep that running in background full-time. 'Tis a good combo.
I've not had any trouble, my internet response time is epic and the Adguard team seem to have a healthy connection to their customers, unlike a certain game company with the initials of E and A.

On topic: Creators that use Adfly are instantly added to my Ignore and Never Recommend list.

A fool and his money are soon parted. ~ Thomas Tusser
Page 1 of 6