Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th May 2017 at 2:15 PM
Default Sims 4 Community is "Thriving" per EA
https://simsvip.com/2017/05/09/elec...unity-thriving/

I am sure this will generate a lively discussion.

This is interesting also.
http://essentialfacts.theesa.com/mobile/
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 10th May 2017 at 2:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
https://simsvip.com/2017/05/09/elec...unity-thriving/

I am sure this will generate a lively discussion.

This is interesting also.
http://essentialfacts.theesa.com/mobile/

Kind of shows that we will buy anything Sims. The 10$ stuff pack is making them alot of money, and we are silly enough to keep buying them even know they are sub-par and bugs NEVER get fixed. I guess we get what we pay for, and I buy them also.
Theorist
#3 Old 10th May 2017 at 2:44 PM
IMO the addition of toddlers, especially with how well done they were, had a lot to do with the increase in players. I know of several players who went out and purchased all the DLC packs they didn't already own after they were added. Naturally that's just off-hand info and not based on any stats but I could see that applying to a lot of people given how much toddlers were in demand.

As for that second report, that's been out for awhile. Yes, it's studies like that one that EA is using to create their strategy for game development. It's why they harp on about playing social games on multiple platforms for example. They like to design games as if they're paint-by-numbers products. IMO it's also why they have had to change The Sims so much. The original idea - a creative design game with pixel people - does not fit that strategy. An online social game cannot allow complete freedom for the player to create whatever they want, and it has to be simplified in order to work in an online environment.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Mad Poster
#4 Old 10th May 2017 at 3:26 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 10th May 2017 at 4:14 PM.
Lots of people saying they're lying about it. I don't think they would (or could) lie about it, but there sure as hell is more to it than just constant, significant growth. I'm stupid, but I'm not nearly stupid enough to believe that TS4 is making it rain for EA. Either that, or I underestimate the amount of awkward 13 year olds on cheap-ass laptops willing to spend their entire savings account (all $87 of it) on TS4 packs.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 10th May 2017 at 3:35 PM
The best thing about this report is that it, from a logical perspective, should lessen the risk that The Sims 5 is never produced.
"If Sims 4 isn't successful, there won't be a Sims 5", Grant Rodiek threatened some 20 months ago. So since they now say that the community is thriving, I guess we should be free to start hoping for a Sims 5, and speculate and wish what we'd like to see in that game.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 10th May 2017 at 4:19 PM
Top 20 best selling games of 2016:

Considering the franchise's total sales figures, I assume a Sims game must've been on this list for at least 15 of the 17 years they've existed. But alas, no TS4. Very telling.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#7 Old 10th May 2017 at 5:07 PM
I didn't start enjoying the game until it was in its 3rd year not long after GT, later on that same year I just had to go buy everything, so I must one of those people they are talking about.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th May 2017 at 5:09 PM
I noticed that too about the top 20. It is all platforms, but still I am sure even considering that, Sims would have shown in the past I am sure. I also think there was a big boost because of the toddlers. I don't believe there has been steady growth when an employee in a presentation says buy the city EP at full price.

This may mean Sims 5 will follow. Logically, it should. The question is whether EA will get major input from the community to see what is wanted, or just come up with whatever their next vision is and tell us to like it or move on? Will they do something that long time players will see as an upgrade, or just go for whatever will generate the most income in their estimation? We shall see. It will be an interesting next few years. Getting popcorn.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 10th May 2017 at 5:30 PM
I noticed that too about the top 20. It is all platforms, but still I am sure even considering that, Sims would have shown in the past I am sure.

I think TS3 had like 3 spots on the top 15 best-selling PC titles of 2015. Hell, if I recall correctly, TS4 and TS3: Starter Pack were number #1 and #2.

EDIT: TS4 at numbers 1 and 4. TS3 at numbers 3, 11, 12, 15, 16 and 17.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 10th May 2017 at 5:37 PM
I think when the original came out it was the best selling PC game in the world. (?) And if 4 was number one at one time it is odd to not make it to the top 20 in this new list, but it would be interesting to see a list of 2016 for the PC games.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 10th May 2017 at 5:43 PM
I think when the original came out it was the best selling PC game in the world. (?) And if 4 was number one at one time it is odd to not make it to the top 20 in this new list, but it would be interesting to see a list of 2016 for the PC games.

Remember, TS3 was still in the top 3 6 years after it came out. 3 years after TS4, it's not even in the top 20. Apples and oranges though, I'm comparing PC sales with all sales.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#13 Old 10th May 2017 at 6:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Can't trust those articles. They're just for the shareholders.

SimsVIP commenters say that EA is a "public business" and would get in "legal trouble" for lying. As much as I disagree with them, surely blatantly lying is not something they would just do.

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 10th May 2017 at 6:45 PM
Can't trust those articles. They're just for the shareholders.

EA would be really dumb if they lie to shareholders and investors but it's EA

Going by this sales chart TS4 must have sold more than 2 million copies in 2015 and it's only retail sales that are tracked, so digital is extra.
Still impressed by TS3 + Addons sales
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 10th May 2017 at 7:51 PM

The trick is, not to see what they're telling you, but see what they're NOT telling you. This comment is meaningless. What about the other 3 quarters? 1, 2, and 3? Were they in decline? Also, isn't 4th quarter Sept to December? Christmas time? So it would be "expected" 4th quarter sales to increase "year-over-year" especially in comparison to other quarters. Actually, this comment isn't even about sales, it is about "active" players increase. So again, wouldn't one expect more kids to play during Christmas break, especially after receiving an EP during Christmas? Even more than summers since summer breaks are longer, kids may have summer school or other projects.

4th quarter is Jan to March for EA. Fiscal year for EA starts in May so it's different from the normal cycle.

This is also pretty meaningless. What was the number in the prior year? IF they had a say.. (just example) 50% drop previous year. Then a 31% increase this year still doesn't break even, correct?

Yup totaly right. These numbers mean next to nothing when you don't have the hard numbers, but EA knows why the don't like to release real numbers.
Theorist
#17 Old 10th May 2017 at 11:04 PM
EA always speaks 'in code' and meaningless phrases that don't mean a whole lot. I like to compare it to all those commercials on TV that claim that "9 out of 10 doctors agree...". I always imagine that they rounded up 10 PHd's and asked them a question that they couldn't disagree with.

Also about those sales charts: I have said over and over again that it depends on whether they are comparing all video games or just games made for the PC. If they just compare PC games (of which there are relatively few just for the PC), then TS4 looks to be more successful. But if you compare it with all games on all platforms TS4 falls off the face of the earth.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Field Researcher
#18 Old 11th May 2017 at 12:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
I think TS3 had like 3 spots on the top 15 best-selling PC titles of 2015. Hell, if I recall correctly, TS4 and TS3: Starter Pack were number #1 and #2.

EDIT: TS4 at numbers 1 and 4. TS3 at numbers 3, 11, 12, 15, 16 and 17.

That is PC the other one is all platforms.
Instructor
#19 Old 11th May 2017 at 4:02 AM
more like dying ea blowing it out their asses as usual. only thing keeping the game alive is WW

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Theorist
#20 Old 11th May 2017 at 7:14 PM Last edited by tizerist : 11th May 2017 at 7:29 PM.
Hahahahahaha
It's thriving about as much as the elephant population of Mars
No, seriously, I'm not being mean, but for EA to suddenly come out and say this smacks of a desperate attempt to show that it was a success.
"an increase 33% year-over-year in the 4th quarter" is a very selective way of trying to point this out. Very shifty and it tells us nothing about the actual numbers which are important.
I sold 33% more chewing gums this year than I did last year. Last year I sold 2 packets. You see where I'm coming from?

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Forum Resident
#21 Old 11th May 2017 at 10:51 PM
Wow. They legitimately think they're in good standing with the fanbase right now.

This is both funny and sad.

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 12th May 2017 at 6:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Averex
Wow. They legitimately think they're in good standing with the fanbase right now.

That's because they are, and they have the profits to prove it.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 12th May 2017 at 8:06 PM
SimsVIP commenters say that EA is a "public business" and would get in "legal trouble" for lying. As much as I disagree with them, surely blatantly lying is not something they would just do.

They may not lie directly, but there are always ways to conveniently "twist" the truth to achieve a balance between not lying, but not being truthful either. I don't think it's uncommon for a publicly traded company to twist the truth in such a way, especially if not doing so could hurt your profit and/or public image.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Field Researcher
#24 Old 12th May 2017 at 10:13 PM
The trick is, not to see what they're telling you, but see what they're NOT telling you. This comment is meaningless. What about the other 3 quarters? 1, 2, and 3? Were they in decline? Also, isn't 4th quarter Sept to December? Christmas time? So it would be "expected" 4th quarter sales to increase "year-over-year" especially in comparison to other quarters. Actually, this comment isn't even about sales, it is about "active" players increase. So again, wouldn't one expect more kids to play during Christmas break, especially after receiving an EP during Christmas? Even more than summers since summer breaks are longer, kids may have summer school or other projects.

They're talking about Q4 (not any other quarters) because it's the earnings call for Q4.

"Year-over-year" means in comparison with the same period of the last year. For example, if 3 million active players were playing TS4 in March 2016, a 33% year-over-year increases means that 4 million players were playing TS4 in March 2017.

Top 20 best selling games of 2016:

Considering the franchise's total sales figures, I assume a Sims game must've been on this list for at least 15 of the 17 years they've existed. But alas, no TS4. Very telling.

1. The chart ranks games based on units sold, not total revenue generated. Sales of additional DLC, microtrasanctions, etc. do not count as more units sold.

2. The source of this chart is NPD, which tracks digital sales for console games (with a few exceptions), and all PC games sold on Steam. Meanwhile, Origin sales are not tracked/included. Source (the poster is an employee of NPD.)

In short, only physical copies of TS4 games sold counts towards this chart (moreover, base game and expansions such as City Living count as separate entries). The last place of this chart (Dark Souls 3) sold around 700k copies in the US in 2016. This means for TS4 to appear on this chart, either the base game or City Living by itself need to sell more than 700k physical copies in the US in 2016. This is simply impossible duo to how high the digital ratio for PC games are (there are sources that suggest that over 90% of PC games sold are digital; in the US, the "physical" copy of City Living is literally a code in a box as EA no longer bothers to make disks for PC games outside a few select regions). Even using extremely conservative estimation, 700k physical copies would imply over 2 million copies sold in total, and over 5 million when you add sales from the rest of the world (since the chart is US only). No one should be surprised that TS4 base game (or City Living by itself) did not sell more than 5 million copies in 2016.

ΔΤΔ
Instructor
#25 Old 13th May 2017 at 10:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by letrax
The best thing about this report is that it, from a logical perspective, should lessen the risk that The Sims 5 is never produced.
"If Sims 4 isn't successful, there won't be a Sims 5", Grant Rodiek threatened some 20 months ago. So since they now say that the community is thriving, I guess we should be free to start hoping for a Sims 5, and speculate and wish what we'd like to see in that game.

I still think it was less of a threat, and more of a statement. In order to get the funding and blessing necessary from EA to develop The Sims 5, The Sims 4 has to sell well. I don't feel Grant Rodiek was "threatening" anyone. He was just making a statement saying that if The Sims 4 doesn't sell well, they won't receive the funding they need. Creating games is expensive, and getting a publisher to go on board with an idea if it didn't do well the last time is probably even more expensive.

It's really easy to take things the wrong way, but the truth is what Grant said. No copies sold = no sequel.

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Page 1 of 3