Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 2:17 PM Last edited by Numenor : 26th Jun 2006 at 7:51 AM. Reason: Fixed missing in-text images
Default Tutorial: Changing the Main Menu Screenshot for Custom Neighborhoods
For those people who admire spending their time to make a custom neighborhood and make it grow into an empire, but hate the blank screenshot this is for you. Credits to Delphy and MTS2 for making this site, Quaxi for making SimPE, and all the modders and creators here for making the site a success.

1. We can't do any change without a screenshot. First, go into The Sims 2 and take the screenshot. This is the screenshot I will use:

2. Now, you must go into your Storytelling folder (My Documents\EA Games\Storytelling) and copy the screenshot you just took.

3. After that, go to your Neighborhoods folder (My Documents\EA Games\Neighborhoods) and go to the neighborhood folder of choice.

4. Paste the screenshot you took in the neighborhood folder.

5. Now, open it in Paint. I used Paint for this tutorial because all Windows computers have it.

6. Go to ‘File…/Save As’ and click on the neighborhood menu screenshot.

7. When you press ‘Save’, you will get a warning message. Press ‘Yes’.

8. Now, go into The Sims 2 and you will see your new image in the main menu! You are done!

Note: It took me a long time to write this. Please post feedback.

UPDATED: A PDF is now here. Just download the rar file named Tut1.

If you use this tutorial, please support development of BV items and click the tiny thank you button. It is the MTS2 way of donating.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Tut1.rar (228.9 KB, 458 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 2:37 PM
Thank you. I was getting kind of tired of the default image.
Test Subject
#3 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 2:41 PM
i, for one, appreciate this very much! i HAVE spent a lot of time creating an empire, and it's such a bummer to have that blank neighborhood shot MOCKING me every time i run the game.

the only thing i might suggest...in the way of the tutorial, is to tell people how to take a screenshot. i would assume that most people who have even managed to make their way to this site would probably already know, but...you never know.
otherwise, it's very simple and it's easy to follow the directions! the diagrams are helpful and it's good that you included a shot of the warning message. well done!

kit.
Inventor
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 2:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kitler
it's such a bummer to have that blank neighborhood shot MOCKING me every time i run the game.

the only thing i might suggest...in the way of the tutorial, is to tell people how to take a screenshot.

kit.

Quote: Originally posted by kitler
the only thing i might suggest...in the way of the tutorial, is to tell people how to take a screenshot.

Sure, I'll update this tut in a bit, it's justr that my fingers are tired.
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 3:18 PM
If this can be moved to the Tutorials section, it would be greatly appreciated.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 3:30 PM
CHeers Cheers Cheers. I knew how to change the other picture when you click on the neighborhood but not this one. Thanks Mod_BV
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 3:33 PM
I meant to ask this but does anyone know how to make a moving pic like the 3 default neighborhoods.
I checked and I think it has something to do with the file that is a REIA file cause my custom neighborhood does not have that
Test Subject
#8 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 3:49 PM
Thanks so much !
I´ve been looking for this!
Inventor
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 4:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by caz100
I meant to ask this but does anyone know how to make a moving pic like the 3 default neighborhoods.
I checked and I think it has something to do with the file that is a REIA file cause my custom neighborhood does not have that

Yes, but I don't know how to make a REIA file.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 9th Jul 2005 at 12:29 PM Last edited by caz100 : 9th Jul 2005 at 12:35 PM.
Well I searched up REIA but all I came across was Real Estate Investment Analysis, so I guess we can't get a moving pic. well at least with this tutorial we can change the empty starting pic. Thanks again
Inventor
Original Poster
#11 Old 9th Jul 2005 at 10:43 PM
Same here, Caz.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 1:06 AM
Mod_bv it is definetly the reia file that makes the moving picture.

I wrote it here: Link...........

it is somewhere near the end. It has 3 pics attached to it.

How do you do that quote box thing cause that would be a lot simplier.
I can mesh but I can't do html (weird isn't it)
Inventor
Original Poster
#13 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 1:32 AM
Use BBCode.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 11:48 AM
I am going to sound even more stupid but what exactly do I type in before and after the text
Test Subject
#15 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 12:06 PM
thanx sooo mush for this. I was looking for how to do this the other day and now I know.
Inventor
Original Poster
#16 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 12:23 PM
The QUOTE tag. Type in [(whatever tag)](your text)[/(whatever tag)]
Inventor
Original Poster
#17 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 12:25 PM
And for this, we are using the QUOTE tag. Put the word QUOTE in between the [ ]. Then write the quote. When you finish the quote, type the same thing, with a slash between [ ] SO the end looks like [/ ]
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 9:21 PM
Thanks will try out now

To Quote myself

Quote:
Cheers Cheers Cheers. I knew how to change the other picture when you click on the neighborhood but not this one. Thanks Mod_BV
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 9:23 PM
Yeah................It worked. Cheers Mod_bv.
Inventor
Original Poster
#20 Old 11th Jul 2005 at 12:27 AM
Please click the "Thank You" button instead fo posting the word "Thanks!"
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 14th Jul 2005 at 9:46 PM
Thank you SO SO SOOO MUCH! The default custom neighbourhood screens are so dull and uninteresting-looking. You are awesome!
Inventor
Original Poster
#22 Old 30th Jul 2005 at 2:32 PM
If somebody could make this file into a Word Document, I would appreciate it. I don't have Word on the computer I am using.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 30th Jul 2005 at 3:37 PM
Why don't you just use Adobe?
Inventor
Original Poster
#24 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 1:45 PM
UPDATED! A PDF is now here! Just download Tut1.RAR
Field Researcher
#25 Old 5th Aug 2005 at 8:22 AM
Thanks so much for this tutorial! I found the perfect terrain I want to use for a themed neighborhood. I downloaded it from here... But it didn't come with a neighborhood screenshot at all.. and I didn't have the slightest idea of how to make one. So I hope this works for me too.. even though I'm not replacing a screenshot. But just adding one.
Page 1 of 3