Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th May 2012 at 5:20 AM
Default Calling All North Carolinians!!!!!!
Hopefully you have all heard about amendment one which will put a ban on Same-Sex Marriage. It's already illegal in N.C. but it will ban same-sex marriage on the state-constitution level. It will also effect domestic partnerships, including single-parents.

North Carolina is my home state, wish I could vote, but I'll be supporting non-stop.

Here's a link for more information:

http://www.ballotpedia.org/wiki/ind...ent_1_(May_2012)

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 9th May 2012 at 2:14 AM
I am so disappointed in many North Carolinians today, but just as we rose against Prop8 we can rise against Amendment One. Light always prevail in darkness.

Alchemist
#3 Old 9th May 2012 at 2:37 AM
I'm confused. What are the results? Is yes in favour of banning it or allowing it?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th May 2012 at 4:18 AM
61% in favor of a marriage being strictly between a man and a woman, 39% against. .

Scholar
#5 Old 9th May 2012 at 6:04 AM
It just makes me very sad.

Exactly what in the world is so wrong with two people of the same-sex getting married that requires it to be banned twice over? And since when were human rights something that should be allowed to be put up to vote?

You can bet the support and advertisement for this amendment was done in the same way that Proposition 8 was - horribly misleading ads funded by certain conservative religious groups. There is just so much wrong with this that it's hard for me to even comprehend how something like this can even happen. I thought America was supposed to be the 'land of the free'. I thought we had a separation of church and state that says that no law can be passed if it respects an religious establishment. But I guess none of that matters, does it?

Perhaps someday it will be overturned, but I've heard that it's much harder to overturn a constitutional ban. And really, this shouldn't be happening in the first place. I know that in terms of human rights, the banning of same-sex marriage is far from the worst of violations. However, it still has no justification whatsoever. It hinders loving relationships and families. And it still continues an 'us' and 'them' mentality - as if homosexual relationships are inferior. That all just makes it very disgusting to me.

It makes me sad that something like this is even an issue, much less getting banned... twice over.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Mad Poster
#6 Old 9th May 2012 at 2:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dreamydre
61% in favor of a marriage being strictly between a man and a woman, 39% against. .

At least you can vote on it. If you work on the propaganda, next time you need to vote you might just change the proportions favourably.

Quote: Originally posted by bassoon_crazy
It hinders loving relationships and families.

Just because you can't marry doesn't mean that you can't have a loving relationship and a family with your loved one. Besides, you do not become a family when you marry, but when you have kids with someone.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th May 2012 at 7:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
At least you can vote on it. If you work on the propaganda, next time you need to vote you might just change the proportions favourably.

I wish I could have voted, but I haven't been a North Carolina resident since I was 11 years old.

Just because you can't marry doesn't mean that you can't have a loving relationship and a family with your loved one. Besides, you do not become a family when you marry, but when you have kids with someone.

On an emotional side I would agree with you. However, the legal side of marriage is rather complicated, and that's what most same-sex couples want changed, with good reasons. I'll give you this classic example.

You are a same-sex couple. One day your significant other is in a car crash. You are the one that brings her to the hospital. You check her in. You try to go in with, but they tell you that you can't because you aren't family, you're just the person who happened to bring them to the hospital. Imagine the pain that would bring you. Not to mention that partners in a civil union or domestic relationship will no longer receive equal benefits as married couples, which includes health care for their children, amongst other things.

Scholar
#8 Old 9th May 2012 at 8:09 PM Last edited by bassoon_crazy : 9th May 2012 at 8:49 PM.
You are a same-sex couple. One day your significant other is in a car crash. You are the one that brings her to the hospital. You check her in. You try to go in with, but they tell you that you can't because you aren't family, you're just the person who happened to bring them to the hospital. Imagine the pain that would bring you. Not to mention that partners in a civil union or domestic relationship will no longer receive equal benefits as married couples, which includes health care for their children, amongst other things.

And that's exactly what I'm referring to.

This amendment specifically invalidates any of this for same-sex couples.

EDIT: Well, at least we have a bit of good news. President Obama now publicly supports same-sex marriage. Source.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 9th May 2012 at 8:51 PM
Don't be surprised when you hear, North Carolina has just announced it is changing its name because "having two Carolinas together is wrong."

Mad Poster
#10 Old 9th May 2012 at 10:19 PM

Frankly, that and financial benefits are about the only things why people should get married, yet whenever I hear talks about legalizing same sex marriage everybody brings up love. Considering these are rather practical and administrative issues, I think it might be a better idea to push for some sort of legislature in this regard where you can just empower anyone to take medical decisions for you or benefit from joint finances.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 9th May 2012 at 10:56 PM Last edited by Dreamydre : 9th May 2012 at 11:07 PM.
crocobaura it seems to me that you are trying to think of every option rather than just simply agreeing with same-sex marriage? I think people should have a choice to marry if they want to, regardless of orientation. I could elaborate on that, but I'd rather refrain from moderator intervention by turning this into an off topic debate. I will say this:

Those who voted for amendment one are ignorant, considering the fact that Gay Marriage is already illegal, once they heard those two words it was a wrap and they voted in favor of the amendment. However, as I've said earlier, this also effects anyone who is not married as the amendment excludes all domestic relationships as well, which only makes it harder for those who are single parents or unmarried to have equal rights. If those who voted in favor of this amendment, have family members raising kids on their own and can't afford to take their kid to a hospital, they can pat themselves on the back, because that's what they voted for.

Quote: Originally posted by bassoon_crazy
EDIT: Well, at least we have a bit of good news. President Obama now publicly supports same-sex marriage. Source.

Mad Poster
#12 Old 9th May 2012 at 11:44 PM
crocobaura it seems to me that you are trying to think of every option rather than just simply agreeing with same-sex marriage? I think people should have a choice to marry if they want to, regardless of orientation. I could elaborate on that, but I'd rather refrain from moderator intervention by turning this into an off topic debate. I will say this:

Those who voted for amendment one are ignorant, considering the fact that Gay Marriage is already illegal, once they heard those two words it was a wrap and they voted in favor of the amendment. However, as I've said earlier, this also effects anyone who is not married as the amendment excludes all domestic relationships as well, which only makes it harder for those who are single parents or unmarried to have equal rights. If those who voted in favor of this amendment, have family members raising kids on their own and can't afford to take their kid to a hospital, they can pat themselves on the back, because that's what they voted for.

You need to realize that big changes don't just come, sometimes you need to win many small battles in order win the big fight. Same thing here. If anything, the vote showed that you need just 12% more votes to win your fight and those votes will need to come from people who have no personal reason to support same sex marriage so you'll need to offer them something that will appeal to them as well.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 10th May 2012 at 12:08 AM
And jeopardizing the rights of those who aren't homosexual or in a same-sex relationship isn't enough to appeal to them? I'm pretty sure none of those who voted in favor knew what they were fully voting for until after the fact. Regardless, if same-sex marriage is in the equation and ignorance still exists they will continue to vote in favor of whatever amendment comes their way. And why should they need something to appeal to them in the first place? The amendment isn't about them, you need to realize that it's not okay to vote to control how other people should do their shit. You cannot be a selective civil rights activist. Either you stand for rights for all or none.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#14 Old 10th May 2012 at 12:44 AM
Well, north Carolinians might be a disappointment but you sure have a president you can be proud of.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#15 Old 11th May 2012 at 6:45 PM
What bothers me is that people are allowed to vote to deny rights to another group and enshrine it in the state constitution. It seems wrong to me. If the gay marriage issue had been put to a vote here in Ct, it probably would've failed here too. Instead it was decided by the legislature and signed into law by the governor. And then life moved on and people saw that there wasn't a breakdown of society with people running around marrying their dogs.
Scholar
#16 Old 24th May 2012 at 10:21 PM
You do not become a family when you marry, but when you have kids with someone.

I completely, 100%, with every ounce of my soul, to the pit of my stomach, to the bottom of my heart, to the core of my very existence. Disagree with the very thought of that statement.

Frankly, that and financial benefits are about the only things why people should get married, yet whenever I hear talks about legalizing same sex marriage everybody brings up love.

*Holds up hand* That's it. Don't even TRY to talk at me.

I'm sorry Dreamydre for getting your forum off topic. But, I said what I feel I need to say.

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.