Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 12:35 PM
Default Empty Neighborhood - not working
Hi my friends,
I am in the process of re-installing Sims 2 after a long break.

I want a completely empty game so that I can create all my own characters and NPC's. I have done this successfully in the past so I am really confused why it's not working!

I have been following this tutorial with option "e" http://simgaroop.dreamwidth.org/36499.html
After following the steps, I created a new neighbourhood and my N001 folder (of the newly generated neighbourhood) was full of characters.

Then I followed this tuttorial: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,5861.0.html but I still have a N001 folder full of character files!

What can I possibly be doing wrong? My game is installed from the original game discs and I am running Windows 10. The game works perfectly but I can't seem to get a clean install!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 1:29 PM
I just read a comment in another post on this forum about people finding this does not work with Windows 7 & 8

This person suggested following this advice:

Quote:
When you're using Windows 7 or 8, you need to delete the files in the virtual store or the same townies will appear again and again. So, after you've done all that is described in this amazing tutorial, after shutting down the game as soon as the neighborhood you just created shows up, open cms by pressing the windows key + r at the same time. Then type in "%temp%" without the " of course and press enter. Click on local, scroll down until you see a file called Virtual Store, open it, and then you have to do 2 things: First, set up you as the owner of the folder and set it to "read only"/write protected. Second, delete the EA Folder in there. Not only will you game load much faster, no more townies unless you created them.

I tried to follow these instructions but after opening %temp%, I could find no "local" to click on or "Virtual Store" file

Anyone know anything about this?
Theorist
#3 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 3:51 PM Last edited by CaliBrat : 26th Jan 2017 at 4:02 PM.
Are you creating your own empty n'hood or did you download one? I've never tried to do it myself since others have done it and they work successfully.

I know that, I think it's there is one done by (I think it's) Meetmetotheriver over on tumblr. I'm sure someone knows it's addy.
However, I use the one here on MTS from Jawusa and can say that it works just fine and I'm on Win7.

Jawusa's Empty Clean Stealth N'hoods are here
Jawusa's Empty Clean N'hoods Templates are here.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 3:59 PM
I'm trying to create my own empty neighborhood. Even if I add another person's hood to my game at this point, it will still add all the Maxis townies from the templates in the N001 folder
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 5:52 PM Last edited by maxon : 26th Jan 2017 at 6:03 PM.
You will need the noregen hacks which will prevent some of the spawning (not the copying from the templates though). If you are getting characters, it means you haven't deleted or removed the characters files from somewhere.

That page at the link you posted barely makes sense to me. Badly written with no explanation of how the process works. The MATY link is the original page about creating empty hoods and should work. You need to remove the character files in the neighourhood template folders anyway - in some manner. Either by renaming or deleting/copying elsewhere. The game makes the character files in your neighbourhoods by simply copying the files from the template folders. That's how it works. You remove them because the game can't copy something that isn't there and hence you get no sims. However, you also need the template neighbourhood files (referred to on both pages) which have been edited to remove the sim information because otherwise you might run into problems of corruption.

I've never heard of idea in the second post you made about the files apparently sitting in a cache somewhere. However, I'm hardly a windoze expert so maybe there is some mechanism where your comp is hanging onto files it shouldn't? Marka might know about that - he seems to know a bit about how later versions of windoze behave.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#6 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 6:29 PM
Empty hoods do work in UC on Windows 10 - I tested Jawusa's, which I am not sure are ready for uploading yet - and they work fine. You do need the necessary mods, or townies will generate.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Jan 2017 at 9:56 AM
I have the Pescado hacks in my game and am still getting a neighbourhood full of Maxis characters

I don't know what to do! I'm really frustrated!

Is there another tutorial I can follow that is guaranteed to work? Which templates do you guys recommend me using based on the fact I want a completely empty game?

I am willing to try all over again if there is a way to do this that really works!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Jan 2017 at 10:31 AM
Mods, I have started a new thread about the VirtualStore topic as I believe it may be the source of my problem. You may close this thread if you see fit