Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#126 Old 25th Nov 2011 at 9:38 PM
Okay, I'll try to explain it differently, bear with me as it's tricky to explain!

For an install of Riverview (and incidentally, Hidden Springs as well), part of the Distant Terrain is contained in the World file, and part is contained in the DCCache files. Therefore, the distant terrain cannot be used without Riverview World also being loaded- and to do that, you actually have to be playing Riverview.

What I did to make the Riverview DT available in other worlds was to clone the object from the world file, in the same way as I explain for HS in post #11 here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=453956

I did not make a new object, I just created an identical clone- which means that my DT is viewed as the game as being identical to the Riverview DT. Therefore, my distant terrain references the same DCCache files as the original one does.

If you make a new object clone of my DT, then you are causing the game to view it as a completely different object- therefore it will not find the STBL files in the DCCache, and the object will show up as a string of hex numbers, as shown in my image.

To make a completely stand-alone object, that does not override the original Riverview DT, you would have to combine the DCCache files with the World file and then clone the DT again from that (and I've no idea if that would work, since I've never tried it). You would need to tell S3OC to renumber/rename internally so that it creates a new object rather than an identical clone. Then you would have to mod the OBJD so that it shows in the CAW metadata list.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#127 Old 25th Nov 2011 at 10:34 PM
OOOo... Ok...... I get the cloning thing now, I was having it renumber. For some reason (maybe because during one of my numerous fumbles in this adventure) I thought if I didn't have that ticked it'd save everything under bluefunk..etc & look like I was filching it.

I feel like a real dunce here, and I thank you so much for your patience. (Do you have any hair left?) I finally got the recolor in caw and its working. *throws confetti* That leaves me with two questions. If I build the world with the altered dt, supply the two altered files (in game/caw)... if the people that download the world do not like my version, they can use your version and still have a DT, or would the game put the Riverview DT in place, or would they be S.O.L on DT?

I'd like to try to make the DT stand alone. (even if I can't I'm thrilled with what I've got so far) So, when you say combine the DCCache files, exactly what do you mean?

Inspire. Dream. Hope. Believe. Imagine. Create.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#128 Old 25th Nov 2011 at 10:50 PM
Yes, if you've made an identical clone of mine (except for the colour) then the game will think that mine, yours and the Riverview DT are the exact same items, so players will have a choice. If they had my override installed, they'd have the Riverview DT; with yours installed they'd have the recoloured version.

For the second part, I mean that to make a standalone object you would need to have S3OC include the STBL resources from the DCCache files in your clone. Remember, I said that the files for the distant terrain are contained in both the world file and the DCCache- well my clone only contains the resources from the world file, so it needs the DCcache to make it a complete object. Hence, you have to have Riverview installed (so that the game has the Riverview DCCache files at hand) to use my DT. If you make a different distant terrain object, the game does not see it as the Riverview DT, so it will not connect that object to the Riverview DCCache- hence, the object will have no STBL files and appear as in my image in post #124.

So, you'd have to open Riverview World file in S3Pe, then resource>Import from file and point it to the DCCache folder. Then import all of the Riverview DCCache resources. Of course, to do that you'd probably have to create an install where Riverview was the only thing installed to the DCCache! Then, save that and point S3OC to that combined file. Then, see if creating a clone of the DT, renumbered /renamed internally, will create a viable standalone object (remember to mod the OBJD to make it show in metadata again!).

I have no idea if that will work!
Lab Assistant
#129 Old 25th Nov 2011 at 11:06 PM
I don't either, but I can play around with it. Even if it doesn't work, I've got the recolor working and I'm thrilled to death. :D

If I have any measure of success, I'll let you know.

P.S. We need a confetti throwing smiley

Inspire. Dream. Hope. Believe. Imagine. Create.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#130 Old 25th Nov 2011 at 11:19 PM
I just tried it by smushing the Riverview world and DCCache, and it seems to make a standalone item but I can't get it to make the STBLs work (even if I tick create missing string tables). You'd probably need to ask about STBLs on the modding forum, as I'm no expert on those!
Test Subject
#131 Old 1st Dec 2011 at 10:37 AM
Oh Oh Oh!!!
Public Picnic Spot!!!
I needed it!!!

Thank you for sharing it! :D
Field Researcher
#132 Old 19th Dec 2011 at 10:06 AM
Now, this is a cool idea! I've always wanted to be able to add more of those picnic spots to my community parks and hang outs. Also, couldn't you use those big tents as some kind of Exotic, or out of the way Consignment Shops? You know, like those roadside fruit and vegetable stands, or people selling trinkets and cheap jewelry. I've seen these when we were driving through some of those really small, and remote little country towns. All you'd need to do is recolor the tent (if the game will allow you to, that is). The food trucks will work well outside of job sites, and in parks.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#133 Old 24th Dec 2011 at 1:51 AM
l8nytsimmer, recolouring the tent won't help with that- you would need to completely mod the tents to have them function as a consignment store. You would need to check our modding tutorials to learn about that.
Field Researcher
#134 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 11:36 AM
Default Benches
In case anyone would want this, simsample feel free to delete it they were already CAW enabled.
I find them very handy to decorate large scenic parks and create sort of fillers between lots in downtown areas. Fully usable in game. You can find them in CAW Metadata as Community Bench, The Breckenridge, Le Grand Amour Park Bench. Of cause you should have WA installed to use Le Grand Amour Park Bench.

Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  BaseGameBenches.rar (2.3 KB, 770 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  WABench.rar (436 Bytes, 638 downloads) - View custom content

Noone expects the spanish inquisition!
My simblr and my downloads blog .
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#135 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 5:41 PM Last edited by simsample : 2nd Jan 2012 at 5:56 PM.
Wow, very useful Miuki- why didn't I think of doing those? Well done on figuring it out.

ETA: I updated my first post with a water trough from pets that I forgot to upload- it's in the hitching post package so please redownload if you want it!
Field Researcher
#136 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 7:30 PM
By the way, I've noticed that some packages have _KEY file and some don't. What's it for and is it essential?

Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#137 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 9:06 PM
Thank you Miuki, you read minds, and saved me from the job ^^
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#138 Old 3rd Jan 2012 at 7:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Miuki
By the way, I've noticed that some packages have _KEY file and some don't. What's it for and is it essential?

It's just where I have named resources, and have chosen to have the resource names preserved.

See the tick by 'Use Resource Name':

And here, you see the resource names are listed, and hence a _KEY resource has been created as a database of these:

You do not have to use the resource names, but I like to keep them in so that it is easy to see what each resource name in a package/ world does. I even add my own to resources that don't have them- for example, the weather _INI files. If you don't have any resource names, there will not be a _KEY.

The _KEY resource in a .World file is slightly different though- that one is a texture database also, that is created to keep track of the terrain textures you use. So if you have a world in which you have tested many terrain paints before deciding upon your final choice, you will find that every terrain paint you ever tried is cached in the _KEY. So I recommend to empty your CAW caches and delete the _KEY, then save in CAW again to regenerate it cleanly.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#139 Old 6th Jan 2012 at 3:55 PM
armiel You're welcome. I thought I saw it someones package, but I guess it was in my head.
simsample Thank you for very thorough explanation, it is very helpful. I've checked my _KEYless package and yes, thy resources are just numbers now.

Test Subject
#140 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 6:43 PM
Something hates me... I downloaded the picnic spot, the mailbox and the food truck and parking space. Everything is there, except for the parking space. At first I thought I missed it, but it's not in the place shown in the screenshot, nor anywhere else. I re-downloaded a few times, but it still refuses to show up. Could someone help me please?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#141 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 11:18 PM
alraune1928, try setting the filters to display only LN objects. That way, you should be able to find the parking space easier.
Test Subject
#142 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 3:17 PM
Already tried that, the parking space is still a no-show.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#143 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 4:40 PM
Okay, scrap that idea- they don't seem to have flagged the parking space for LN, so it will not show up if you filter for Late Night.

Instead, turn all filters off so that all items are shown, and it should appear like this:

I can verify that it still shows up for me (that image is taken today) so if it's not showing for you, then you must have it installed incorrectly, or else have some other mod that is overriding the Parking space OBJD.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#144 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 6:15 PM
Now it's there. Rather strange; I had the newest patch installed, but didn' t have pets yet (no other mods concerning the foodtruck). I got fed with the quest for parking space and installed pets, which I got today. Started the game and voila - parking space. * does happy dance*
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#145 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 8:58 PM
Hmm, it worked for me with 1.26 without Pets, although I didn't have 1.29 without Pets. Not sure why it wasn't showing for you, I'm guessing it was there but you just didn't see it (as the buydebug section is very cluttered now), as I can't think of a reason why not having Pets should make it not show up.

Anyway, I'm glad you found it now!
Lab Assistant
#146 Old 12th Feb 2012 at 4:40 AM Last edited by bradyseitz : 12th Feb 2012 at 7:37 AM.
Hey everyone. Sorry to bump a thread but i figured this was the best place for this question. I love getting things in CAW to make the world better. I do have a question though but I think I already know the answer. I am trying to get a couple things from Barnacle Bay, the bridge and seawalls. Question 1) To make them show, I have to make a complete clone of the object and modify that to make it show as they are contained in the world files, yes? Question 2) Should I make the world available to download, people will just need to have Barnacle Bay installed in their game for these objects to show in the custom world? From what I read in simsample's post with the Riverview objects, that is all I need to do. If I am wrong in this, let me know.

Thanks,

Brady

*EDIT*

Well, I answered the first question. I successfully made some objects from Barnacle Bay appear in the CAW. That makes me happy. I've been up too long working on this (and watching Glee :p). I'll have to test out question 2 tomorrow.

Follow the creation of new worlds, lots and objects at my new blog, UrbanSims!
~Brady
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#147 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 2:11 PM
No, you shouldn't have to make a complete clone, although it depends upon how the objects are stored in Barnacle Bay. You should just need an OBJD override.

In Riverview, when you install the Sims3pack all of the objects are installed to the DCCache files except for the bridges and the distant terrain.

This means that I can make an OBJD override of all objects installed to the DCCache, and then when people use a world created with these, they only need to have Riverview installed to make it work.

However, for the bridges and distant terrain, part is installed to the DCCache but part remains in the Riverview.world file- therefore they are only able to be used when Riverview is loaded (i.e, when you are playing Riverview). For that reason I had to make a clone, and that means that people need to have my cloned objects installed to play a world made with them, as you cannot have two worlds (Riverview and your custom world) loaded by the game at once. You still need Riverview installed too, as the STBL files are in the DCCache.

So, for your Barnacle Bay items, you need to make sure they are all contained within the DCCache, and then when you make a clone do not renumber/ rename it (as you want it to be a default override), and remove all resources except the OBJD (as you are only changing the OBJD). Then, people only need to have BB installed to make it work.

If however some of the objects are partly contained within the world file too, then you need to clone those from the world file, and they will most likely reference the DCCache for the STBLs (assuming it is the same as Riverview). Then people would have to have BB and your item installed to make it work, as with my Riverview bridges and DT.
Lab Assistant
#148 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 6:37 PM Last edited by bradyseitz : 13th Feb 2012 at 8:54 PM.
Ok. The Buccaneer Bridge and Salty Sea Walls were in the .world file, at least that is where I found them. I originally found the objects OBJD and imported that into a new file and changed the required parts in s3pe. When I moved that file into my CAW Packages, it showed but failed to create the instance. Using the S3OC I got them to work correctly. I spent all day yesterday making fancy walls with them and haven't tested them yet. Thanks for the information simsample.

Brady

*EDIT*

Yep, I need to have the BB objects in my game mods to. They disappeared while I was in EIG. Oh well, they are still cool.
Screenshots

Follow the creation of new worlds, lots and objects at my new blog, UrbanSims!
~Brady
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#149 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 1:55 AM
Well done for getting them to work!
Top Secret Researcher
#150 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 4:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample

Permanent Tents
Requires World Adventures, show up in the buydebug Miscellaneous menu.
These are the erected tents so that you can build your own base camps in a vacation world, or just make a camp ground in your main world. Sims will not put these in their inventories.

Simsample to the rescue ...again! Thank you for the tents. For my own game play, it was easy enough to switch the lots to Residential, erect the tents, evict the sim, then switch the lot back to Community, but it was driving me crazy tonight trying to figure out what the deal with the tents was when I exported the world.
Page 6 of 11