Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Nov 2011 at 2:22 AM
Default Song Writing and Regular Writing
Okay, I'm having problems. I just want to know if others are having these issues. Whenever I write a story, I can write only about a few sentences before I run out of ideas. Whenever I write a song (on purpose, or just a random mind pop up), I have to have a pencil and piece of paper on hand, or a computer with Microsoft word, or I'll forget the song I just thought up. I've lost a countless number of really awesome (in my mind) songs that way. Do others have this problem? Or do I just have issues?

THE CAT HAIR WIZARD
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 10:22 PM
Oh, ive had that soooo many times it's unbeleivable. It's really frustrating D:

My mini website: Skimmer55
Alchemist
#3 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 10:35 PM
I often run of inspiration when writing a story, but the number of sentences it takes to get there varies greatly. Once I wrote over 10k words in one sitting, then never touched the "novel" again. Sometimes, the story dies at just 1000 words or so. Usually it's not a case of running out of ideas, though, just like I say...inspiration. Sometimes, unfortunately, I think writing is about forcing yourself. The prose is usually pretty stiff when you do that, but you can go back and fix it later. If you feel like the story was worth it and still is worth it, but you just don't "feel" like writing it, (which is what happens to me), then I think you need to push yourself and discipline yourself if you want to succeed. Sometimes it helps to skip ahead, too. Rather than working toward what you really want to write about, just write about what you want to write about and connect it later. What you write may wind up changing when you go to connect it, but that can be dealt with later.

As for songs, I'd get a voice recorder. If you've got a cellphone you probably have a way to record your voice or even jot down notes on the device. Both apps are a life saver if you do not want to forget your ideas, and easier than carting around a notepad/pen and having to find a place to scribble.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Nov 2011 at 1:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by coltraz
I often run of inspiration when writing a story, but the number of sentences it takes to get there varies greatly. Once I wrote over 10k words in one sitting, then never touched the "novel" again. Sometimes, the story dies at just 1000 words or so. Usually it's not a case of running out of ideas, though, just like I say...inspiration. Sometimes, unfortunately, I think writing is about forcing yourself. The prose is usually pretty stiff when you do that, but you can go back and fix it later. If you feel like the story was worth it and still is worth it, but you just don't "feel" like writing it, (which is what happens to me), then I think you need to push yourself and discipline yourself if you want to succeed. Sometimes it helps to skip ahead, too. Rather than working toward what you really want to write about, just write about what you want to write about and connect it later. What you write may wind up changing when you go to connect it, but that can be dealt with later.

As for songs, I'd get a voice recorder. If you've got a cellphone you probably have a way to record your voice or even jot down notes on the device. Both apps are a life saver if you do not want to forget your ideas, and easier than carting around a notepad/pen and having to find a place to scribble.

That's a really good idea. Actually, I have tried skipping ahead, but I skipped ahead really hard. Like skipping to the first chapter of another book.

THE CAT HAIR WIZARD