Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Mar 2018 at 9:15 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Game crashing after an hour
After reverting to a previous save the last time I had a crashing problem, I figured out through the 50/50 method that it was something in buy mode that was causing the crashes. So I went combing through it all and got rid of anything I wasn't really using or totally in love with, merged the remaining pieces into about 4 files and popped them in. Now the game is crashing after an hour or hour and a half of game play. It's like a sucker punch, because it is just long enough to hope that this time will work. The stuff that's left is stuff I've used in my game for years with no problems. Is there any reason why they would suddenly stop working? Is there an easier way to figure out what's causing crashes than trial and error?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 6th Mar 2018 at 9:03 PM
Have you tried using the crash log analyzer to get any ideas about what's causing it? I've had times where a crash seemed to be caused by more than one issue (ie. CC + memory)
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Mar 2018 at 10:31 PM
It says CC. When I check my stuff with S3PE it turns up no issues. I just want to have my cake and eat it too. ::pouty face::
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 2:27 AM
And now trying to figure out what is causing the crashing seems to be making the crashing worse as it just crashed after like 15 minutes.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 3:03 AM
Took all the buy mode things out and it crashed in 5 minutes. FML
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 4:32 AM
I checked the last 6 crash logs and it says this:

date: 2018-03-06
time: 21.40.57
type: ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x000003fc
address: 0x005c6e07 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe":0x0001:0x001c5e07
Mad Poster
#7 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 4:54 AM
That's useless information, I'm afraid. Have you tried testing a new game run on a clean game folder (pull the current one out for safekeeping, the clean one that will spawn in its place will have no added content at all).
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 2:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
That's useless information, I'm afraid. Have you tried testing a new game run on a clean game folder (pull the current one out for safekeeping, the clean one that will spawn in its place will have no added content at all).

I've not tried that yet. So I start it up, it generates a new file folder, and then what do I do? Copy the files from the old one back?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 2:05 PM
Well not quite all at once, no. You would want to verify that the game works on the clean folder without all the crashing first. If it does, then consider slowly adding your content, maybe mission critical mods first, then installed worlds, then store content, and then CC checking along the way to make sure it stays stable.

Or once verified you could indeed copy just about everything from the old one over all at once, it's just that you run the risk of re-creating the problem on the new folder without learning where it's coming from.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 3:47 PM
Is order of operations key here? So I should go with core mods, scripting mods, worlds, stuff, then saves and saved sims?
Mad Poster
#11 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 4:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tunafishfish
Is order of operations key here? So I should go with core mods, scripting mods, worlds, stuff, then saves and saved sims?

That sounds reasonable although there's really no one correct or best answer. Although if you truly suspect that it's "stuff" that triggered the problem, again you probably wouldn't want to dump it all back in at once.
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 5:24 PM
This is what I've figured out over the past couple of months: The game started crashing on Zafira's birthday after Mom and Dad got back from Egypt. I reverted back to an earlier save before they left and didn't have them go. Then later on, it started crashing while Samir and Yasmin were in college. Taking out all my cc buy mode objects seemed to solve the problem. I spent a while going through all of it picking and choosing what I use, what I don't, and paring down. Then I put the pared down objects back in, and it's crashing again. I pulled them out and it seemed to make it worse. I cleaned out the dcache .tmp and the cache files again last night so I'm gonna try loading it and see how long it runs. If it crashes again today, I'll pull the game folder out and follow the course you outlined above. It's just frustrating because the game takes so long to load. (normal loading time about 15 minutes with all the stuff I've modded in)
Mad Poster
#13 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 7:56 PM
My complicated, long-running game (six years now) takes at least 15 minutes to load, depending on the Traveler mod connected world that is active at the time. The less complex, less progressed ones such as vacation worlds take much less time. Save Cleaning helps a little. It's stable once it gets started though; load time alone isn't usually a determining factor.

You might also want to see how a new test game on the existing game folder behaves to narrow down if the issue is with the ongoing game save or not.
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 8:13 PM
I'm not complaining about the load time, it used to take up to 45 minutes on one of my previous computers. I'm actually quite pleased with 15 minutes, but the load time combined with the crashing is just too much.

I pulled out the game folder and I'm gonna make Goodwin Goode really really unhappy while I figure things out. When push comes to shove, I'd rather have a working game than a pretty game.
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 8th Mar 2018 at 12:45 PM
Last night I popped in the mods framework and it crashed while loading, but then I realized that I forgot to clean the caches. Now I'm going to spoon-feed Mastercontroller, Over Watch, Error Trap, Story Progression, and Woohooer in one at a time, making sure that it loads.
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 8th Mar 2018 at 11:17 PM
So I've been slowly adding in NRAAS mods one at a time loading and quitting in odd moments. I've never felt so squeamish about a computer program in my life! But when I try to put the whole NRAAS folder in, the damn thing crashes while loading. For reference, my system specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Processor: AMD A12-9720P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Graphics Card name: AMD Radeon R7 Graphics
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9874)

It's not a gaming laptop, but it is waaay above the minimum specs.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 8th Mar 2018 at 11:23 PM
Common reasons for crashes on loadup after having just added NRaas mods:

-- You have the MC Progression add-on module in place, but you do not have both the MC base mod AND the SP base mod. The module is a bridge between the two base mods and will crash the game on startup if either one is missing.

-- You have a mod in play that is meant to work with premium store content, but the content isn't there. For example, NRaas Cupcake but you do not have the bakery store set or it is not loading.

-- You haven't cleared the script cache.

Any of these possible?
Scholar
Original Poster
#18 Old 9th Mar 2018 at 12:46 AM
I think it might be Cupcake, since I haven't added in my store content yet. I have Story Progression base, MC and MC Cheats, but I haven't added in any modules yet. Thanks so much for your insight!
Scholar
Original Poster
#19 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 3:28 AM
So I think the crashing is specific to that file. I slowly added all my content back into the game these past few days and finally added my old saves back in. It might even be specific to that household... I reverted to the previous day's save thinking that maybe it has something to do with something I did that day and it seemed fine. I had to go around in Edit town for a bit to check in on the two other families in town and then I got back to my family and started checking on their wishes and needs and setting a course of action and then the damn thing crashed. I was able to play for about an hour in two other files today, but not this one. Any ideas? Would renaming the damn thing help? Or should I revert to the save from 3/3?
Mad Poster
#20 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 4:12 AM
It's really difficult to predict in these cases. I would say that you have taken a logical course of action but if only that one save is still crashy on you and you have a means to revert gameplay to a prior time, then it makes sense to do so. Not sure what renaming the game save (is this what was meant?) would accomplish.

For what it's worth, my own game crashed on me yesterday. I have no new CC, was not in CAS that session at all that I can remember, and it was running just fine on resource usage. It never does this in real gameplay unless I am testing out new mod versions and something is wrong with them. The entire session that day was just weird, things kept happening that should have been blocked by SP and other settings, my teen was cornered by a cop and dragged home for violating curfew (he wasn't out on the town, he was staying over at his best friend's house with an adult present even though that shouldn't have mattered and I have curfews disabled on weekends), Tagger showed me that sims kept trying to navigate off the usable map (are they getting tired of me by now and trying to run away?), all kinds of odd things. Replaying the entire thing starting from the day prior "fixed" it, I'll probably never find out what the exact combination of events was that triggered all that strangeness.

That's not really relevant to what you were describing, but sometimes we do just have to revert a sim day or two and hope for the best when just about everything else has been investigated.
Scholar
Original Poster
#21 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 1:58 PM
I'm also concerned that this is the end of that file if the one from the 3rd doesn't work either. I don't have another backup. Would it work to save copies of the 3 families in town and the buildings I've built and opening a new copy of the town and placing them? Would I be able to set their relationships back using Master Controller?
Mad Poster
#22 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 10:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tunafishfish
I'm also concerned that this is the end of that file if the one from the 3rd doesn't work either. I don't have another backup. Would it work to save copies of the 3 families in town and the buildings I've built and opening a new copy of the town and placing them? Would I be able to set their relationships back using Master Controller?

Yes, and so would using NRaas Porter to move a subset of the world's population into a new one (or a copy of the same world). But that's assuming the current issue is with the world and not the sims/households themselves or else you would just be copying the problem, whatever it is, to a new setting. Certainly worth a try either way if you are attached to these households, though.
Scholar
Original Poster
#23 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 11:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Yes, and so would using NRaas Porter to move a subset of the world's population into a new one (or a copy of the same world). But that's assuming the current issue is with the world and not the sims/households themselves or else you would just be copying the problem, whatever it is, to a new setting. Certainly worth a try either way if you are attached to these households, though.

Is there a way to know whether it's the households or the world?
Mad Poster
#24 Old 13th Mar 2018 at 12:44 AM
Trial and error, really. The game and it's data sets are not perfect (that's an understatement!). I bet all of my sims and households are damaged to some degree, but if it's all so slight that it doesn't affect gameplay then it doesn't really matter. But there's no tool that can definitively say where such breakage might be coming from.
Scholar
Original Poster
#25 Old 13th Mar 2018 at 1:06 AM
Thanks I know what I'm doing after the kids go to sleep!
Page 1 of 2