Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 12:23 AM
Default Can't find installed lot
After getting a new computer, I moved my Sims 3 game over from the old one to the new one. In the old one I had uploaded several custom lots. Now, in the launcher, the lots' icons are faded and I only have options to install, delete, or show the file location. The problem is that while I've been able to reinstall some of the lots, there's at least one community lot that I can't get to show up. I've picked the "delete" option twice, cleared my cache files, deleted my thumbnails, and deleted everything inside WorldCaches, but it keeps saying that the lot is already installed, except it's not in the community lot bin. Any ideas on what to do?

Hey- if you said something to me in a post and I didn't write back, I'm sorry. Sometimes I don't feel good enough to post and by the time I'm able to the thread's old enough that I feel kind of weird about bumping it just to post one or two sentences. So please don't take it personally! :)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 9:15 AM
Caches and thumbnails shouldn't have anything to do with this. Installed lots are Library files. It sounds like something is wrong with the entries in your new game folder's Library subfolder. If you can find the corresponding entry in your original game folder, maybe you can just move it over? Or if that's exactly what you did already, maybe the other way around and the new Library subfolder needs to be emptied out before reinstalling the lots. These files are tricky to work with though because the files have hex coded names (unless you renamed them yourself back then).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 7:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried replacing my new Library subfolder with an older version, but I still had the same problem. Then I tried removing the Library subfolder altogether. Same problem. Do you have any other suggestions or ideas?

(And I really appreciate your willingness to help!)

Hey- if you said something to me in a post and I didn't write back, I'm sorry. Sometimes I don't feel good enough to post and by the time I'm able to the thread's old enough that I feel kind of weird about bumping it just to post one or two sentences. So please don't take it personally! :)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 10:37 PM
Hmm. This might be overkill for the issue at hand, perhaps others here will have better ideas. But you might try pulling your entire current TS3 user game folder out for safekeeping and then see if you can install the lots properly on the new no-content one that will spawn to take its place on the next startup.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Mar 2018 at 10:04 PM
Okay, I tried that and the lot installed correctly. Do you have another suggestion?

Mad Poster
#6 Old 18th Mar 2018 at 8:37 AM
Can't be certain of course, but if the lots installed correctly and are usable on the new game folder (that currently has nothing else going for it), it could be that your prior game folder is somewhat damaged. Would it be feasible for you to keep the new game folder and add all of your content, then ultimately your saved games, into the new one and use that going forward rather than continuing to work with the old one?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Mar 2018 at 11:39 PM
Yeah, sure! Would you mind explaining which folders to move over? I tried moving them all over except for the Library folder and had the same problem.

Mad Poster
#8 Old 19th Mar 2018 at 6:32 AM
Hmm. There is no exact scientific approach to take in instances like this. Sounds like you will want to try again but working slowly, moving over small amounts of content and only in one category (store content, sims3pack CC, installed worlds, saved sims, mods) at a time until the problem reappears in the hopes that there is only one culprit causing the blockage.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Apr 2018 at 6:59 PM
Sorry that it's taken me so long to respond! I found the problem- it was a file either in my DCBackup or DCCache folders. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your willingness to stick with me through this puzzle!

Mad Poster
#10 Old 3rd Apr 2018 at 7:18 PM
Glad you were able to work that out!