Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jan 2017 at 6:42 AM
Default how many ways can I share a sim?
I want to share a sim with a friend, don't care if it gets shared world wide or not but I want a friend to get my sim. I put two families on thesims3 exchange see kaykeyser2 but now I started a new neighborhood and new families and its giving me a "Failed to share ( family name)" error on multiple familes. While I am still looking in to this and do want a solution, are there other ways to share a family without going in to the game and clicking "share" like how do I upload one here? how do I e-mail one? how do I upload one to google drive or some other file share service? can I just copy from a game folder or do I have to change the file type and always use "share"
if I do share a sim on here whats the guidelines since I know the sims may have CC but I'm not sure whose CC was used. Now I know the old family did not use CC these other families use some... but if CC is forbidden then why am I seeing CC on the exchange? also while I have gotten CC from the exchange I have had sims from the exchange NOT pop up in my game. So what's the deal? why do some sims install but not others?
Advertisement
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#2 Old 16th Jan 2017 at 9:34 AM
That's a lot of questions, but I'll try to answer some of them
Quote: Originally posted by kaykeyser
I want to share a sim with a friend, don't care if it gets shared world wide or not but I want a friend to get my sim. I put two families on thesims3 exchange see kaykeyser2 but now I started a new neighborhood and new families and its giving me a "Failed to share ( family name)" error on multiple familes. While I am still looking in to this and do want a solution, are there other ways to share a family without going in to the game and clicking "share" like how do I upload one here?
You can also share the file that can be found in the Library folder. The Library folder contains all the families, residential and community lots that you have saved into the bin of Edit Town. To save space you can also compress it into a .zip or .rar file prior to sharing.
The only difficulty is finding the right file because they are named rather inconveniently as "0x0ghrj3gueqghjk.package". So, you either need a program that is able to display the contents of a package file, like S3PE, or move out all files from Library except for one, start a game, check what is left in the bin now, make a note of what it is, exit the game, rename the file, take it out and put the next one in. Rinse and repeat. The three game bins (households, residential lot and community lots) displays the files according to date, so that at least is a bit of an indication what file is what, because the first file in each tab is the most recent one.
I have made it a habit of mine to rename Libary files as soon as I saved them there and after I quit the game session.

Quote:
how do I e-mail one?
By sending it as an attachment.
Quote:
how do I upload one to google drive or some other file share service?
You need an account at one of these file sharing services and then upload a file according to their instructions.
Quote:
can I just copy from a game folder or do I have to change the file type and always use "share"
As I said above you can share the households and lots from the Library bin as well as single Sims from the SavedSims folder. It is actually a cleaner process because CC does not transfer through that process. If you want to include the CC you will have to add the CC as separate files. The Library or SavedSims file should retain the references to the CC, so if your friend adds that to their Library and the CC to Mods/Packages if the are package files or install it through the Launcher if they are sims3packs the Sims should appear in game with all CC.
Quote:
if I do share a sim on here whats the guidelines since I know the sims may have CC but I'm not sure whose CC was used.
Here MTS will only accept Sims from the SavedSims folder, no sims3packs and you will have to provide links to all the CC they may have. If you don't know what CC they have anymore, then don't share it here or make a CC free version.
Quote:
Now I know the old family did not use CC these other families use some... but if CC is forbidden then why am I seeing CC on the exchange?
CC that was installed as Sims3Pack will carry over when you use the "Share" button, CC that was installed as package will, however, also carry over sometimes and attach itself to the .sim file, but I personally think that this is an error.
Quote:
also while I have gotten CC from the exchange I have had sims from the exchange NOT pop up in my game. So what's the deal? why do some sims install but not others?
Some do not install because of these erroneously attached CC .package files, especially when they are converted items from the Store.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Jan 2017 at 5:11 PM
So safest bet would be to make a CC free version of the sim or only use CC if I know the link. I do not need to change the file type before uploading it and the file can be shared by copying it and pasting it to a new location and uploading it I do not need to click the in game share button. and one more question if I upload a sim here how do I include pictures? does the image of the sim come with the file? or do I have to take pictures in game? also were on modthesims is the upload a sim button? either way I may for now, just upload to my e-mail or google drive if I don't have to convert the file types. As for solving the problem I hear a lot of posts saying to delete cache files and other posts saying to run the game with out CC and some posts say to rename the game folders. I think I'll do that much latter. I only need right now to share with one person so any attempt to share elsewhere will be done latter. till then I may just share links to CC with my friend and they can build there own sims

also follow up, can you share a sim if they are using unlocked cloths or cloths from the sim store?

Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
That's a lot of questions, but I'll try to answer some of themYou can also share the file that can be found in the Library folder. The Library folder contains all the families, residential and community lots that you have saved into the bin of Edit Town. To save space you can also compress it into a .zip or .rar file prior to sharing.
The only difficulty is finding the right file because they are named rather inconveniently as "0x0ghrj3gueqghjk.package". So, you either need a program that is able to display the contents of a package file, like S3PE, or move out all files from Library except for one, start a game, check what is left in the bin now, make a note of what it is, exit the game, rename the file, take it out and put the next one in. Rinse and repeat. The three game bins (households, residential lot and community lots) displays the files according to date, so that at least is a bit of an indication what file is what, because the first file in each tab is the most recent one.
I have made it a habit of mine to rename Libary files as soon as I saved them there and after I quit the game session.

By sending it as an attachment.
You need an account at one of these file sharing services and then upload a file according to their instructions.
As I said above you can share the households and lots from the Library bin as well as single Sims from the SavedSims folder. It is actually a cleaner process because CC does not transfer through that process. If you want to include the CC you will have to add the CC as separate files. The Library or SavedSims file should retain the references to the CC, so if your friend adds that to their Library and the CC to Mods/Packages if the are package files or install it through the Launcher if they are sims3packs the Sims should appear in game with all CC.
Here MTS will only accept Sims from the SavedSims folder, no sims3packs and you will have to provide links to all the CC they may have. If you don't know what CC they have anymore, then don't share it here or make a CC free version.
CC that was installed as Sims3Pack will carry over when you use the "Share" button, CC that was installed as package will, however, also carry over sometimes and attach itself to the .sim file, but I personally think that this is an error.
Some do not install because of these erroneously attached CC .package files, especially when they are converted items from the Store.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#4 Old 16th Jan 2017 at 10:13 PM
If you want to upload a Sim here at MTS you need:
1. A CC free *.sim file in a *.zip
2. Links to all CC, default or non-default skins, eyes, hair or extra sliders that the Sim uses.
3. Screenshots of the Sim in-game, not photoshopped or otherwise prettied up.

The upload process is pretty self-explanatory and is here: http://upload.modthesims.info
Depending on what you want to upload the rules will be there, too, and it will tell you if you forgot something.

Unlocked clothes may be lost when you place that Sim in anew game, because a Sim from the SavedSims folder does not have any connection to any career or character statistics.
Store items have to be treated like any other CC. If the user who downloads your Sim owns these Store items, too, then they will show up on that Sim in their game. If not then it will be replaced by a base game clothing item. Any CASt recolours will be lost then.

Just look at how other members have uploaded Sims here. They passed moderation so they must have done it right.

Store
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 17th Jan 2017 at 7:48 AM
I would add two suggestions to Don's most excellent advice:

Check the Creator Guidelines, since all uploads must meet these: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...ator_Guidelines

Post some pics of your sim in the Creator Feedback forum: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=612
This is where other members can assist in getting your sim and screenshots to a place where they will be acceptable to MTS.

I personally think that getting sims accepted for upload is more difficult than any other category- good luck!

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Jan 2017 at 1:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by attuned
I would add two suggestions to Don's most excellent advice:

Check the Creator Guidelines, since all uploads must meet these: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...ator_Guidelines

Post some pics of your sim in the Creator Feedback forum: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=612
This is where other members can assist in getting your sim and screenshots to a place where they will be acceptable to MTS.

I personally think that getting sims accepted for upload is more difficult than any other category- good luck!

I also found e-mailing sims goes faster if you take them from the saved sim folder rather then the export folder the e-mail did not like sending exported sims like it did saved sims.

Also deleting Cache files worked.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Jan 2017 at 12:13 AM Last edited by kaykeyser : 20th Jan 2017 at 4:40 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by kaykeyser
I also found e-mailing sims goes faster if you take them from the saved sim folder rather then the export folder the e-mail did not like sending exported sims like it did saved sims.

Also deleting Cache files worked.

My problems solved them selves, some how. I did nothing and it just fixed its self.

then the issue returned after I had a game lag and used Ctrl-Alt-Delete to quit the game from task manager.