Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 12:22 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3
Default Game Randomly Crashing
The game is randomly crashing I followed the crash guide all 3 steps no dice. I see this is a common problem on the EA forums but any help would be appreciated because after 5-10 min of game play the game simply vanishes to oblivion no error messages nothing. I have HELS installed. I've tried running compatibility modes vista,XP, run as admin etc. I'm running both HELS and the base game fully patched if that helps.

==System==

* Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
* System Manufacturer:Gigabyte Technology Co
* System Model: GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
* Processor:AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
* Memory:4096MB RAM
* Page File:3036MB used, 5148MB available
* DirectX Version: DirectX 11

==Display==

* Name:ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
* Manufacturer:ATI Technologies Inc
* Chip Type:ATI display adapter (0x9460)
* Approx. Total Memory: 2807 MB

* Main Driver:atiu9p64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,atiu9pag,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
* Version:8.712.0.0
* Driver Date:3/2/2010

==Sound==

* Description:Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
* Driver Name:RTKVHD64.sys
* Driver Version:6.00.0001.5973
* Date: 11/3/2009

==Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives==

* Drive:
* Free Space:617.4 GB
* Total Space:953.9 GB
* File System:NTFS
* Model: ST31000528AS ATA Device
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 9:05 AM
Update I use the dashboard tool and nothing and I even ran a process manager and I read the tutorial on what to look for and I didn't notice anything fishy but I'm still randomly crashing. I dunno any ideas?
Field Researcher
#3 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 10:07 AM
Do you have any mods or CC downloaded?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 3:07 PM
Yeah I have story progression mod and super computer mod and cas sliders. I do have CC but I've run dashboard and according to the process manager guide if you see a package being pulled like a million times or some crazy amount that package has a problem. The most any of the packages of mine got processed was like 500 and it was a custom skin. I could post the logs if that might help?

I have removed mods and packages and the game still crashes.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 5:23 PM
When you tested without mods, did you also delete the four cache files in My Docs/The Sims 3?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 5:38 PM
No I didn't I'll try that. I had begun separating my packages into folders of about a hundred a piece and trying to slim it down from there do I need to delete those files every time? Should I even worry about the package files because I have 0 conflicts, corrupt files, sim2 files according to the dashboard tool?
Mad Poster
#7 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 6:06 PM
Dashboard, by design, does not fix All problems, only a select few.
Anytime you add/remove Custom Content, it's a good idea to delete the Cache files.
Have you followed Game Help: Loading Crashes Guide?
As the guide suggests, you need to try each step.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 6:37 PM
It's not a loading problem I followed the crashing during game play guide. I only had about 450 packages and I've been dividing them up and placing them in game trying to narrow it down. I just didn't realize I had to delete cache files every time I removed packages. It's just making this an even longer process.

Dashboard is awesome but I guess it's missing something. How do most people add custom content individually?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 6:41 PM
The steps in the Loading Crash Guide are the same ones to find out if Custom Content is causing whatever issue you may have.
You need to remove ALL Custom Content from your game; .package files in the Mods/Packages folder, Rename "The Sims 3 folder" under Documents/Electronic Arts to "The Sims 3 Backup" and make the game create New User files. Then test the game and see if the crashing continues. If the crashing continues, it's not a CC issue.
While the name of guide isn't important, following the steps listed in it, are. Each step will help you determine where the problem stems from.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 9:57 PM Last edited by wiz311 : 22nd Apr 2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: ipad spell checker
I was trying to isolate what package was bad having a hard time any apps out there to help?
Mad Poster
#11 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 11:20 PM
If you're looking for a program that looks through your folder and points to a package file and tells you this one is making your game crash, I don't think so.

To narrow down what the problem might have been you can use the 50% method;
  • Split your mods into 2 equal batches
  • Put the first batch back into your Mods folder
  • Delete your cache files again, and test.
  • If no issues occur, test the other half.
  • If you find the problem occurs in one batch, divide that batch in half and test again
  • Continue dividing in half till you find what the problem mod(s) are.
  • If you do identify a mod or mods that are an issue, check back with their creator(s) to see if there's an updated version.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 12:54 AM
It's not the mods seems like it's packages. I divided mine into half did as you said but it froze on both halfs so I'm thinking maybe I have multiple problems. Now it's my understanding though that using a process manager would show you which packages are being accessed correct? I didn't have anything being accessed over 500 times in about a 8 min run. I'll run it again and post results maybe u will notice something I'm missing

Btw thanks for the help werismyki
Mad Poster
#13 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 2:34 AM
If dashboard didnt flag any package files as being corrupted, belonging to sims 2, or otherwise a problem and process manager doesn't find anything with more than 500 loads, it tends to suggest that you have functional sim 3 mods, but one or more of them aren't compatible with your game version. Do you have a core mod? AwesomeMod, Extended Game Core, etc?

Let me double check here, You Did try with All package files removed and the game didn't crash, right? So we are fairly sure we are chasing down problem packages?
If so, the concept of the 50% method is to eliminate files from the process in large chunks. perhaps you could try in 3 batches or 4 batches, then try splitting a problem batch in halves.
Another way to go about this (if your packages were named properly by all the creators) is to sort them by content and test, such as hair, clothes, objects, sliders, hacks, etc.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 6:22 AM Last edited by wiz311 : 23rd Apr 2010 at 6:37 AM.
Again just want to say thanks.

Ok I divided my packages into 4 groups completely removed them and played with out a crash for about 15 min. then I added the groups one by one each time then going into my sims3 my doc folder deleting cache files. After every transfer I'd play for about 15 doing same actions I was doing when it would crash. Got to 4th folder crash. I then pulled the folder deleted cache files restarted game and in about 10 min it crashed. I'm really frustrated because I only recently patched my game after buying HELS. I've also already tried clean installed with no package or any other dlc patch then add mods and packages.

As far as mods I have cas sliders and story progression and super computer all downloaded in the past week and the newest versions. I was using older versions before hels
Mad Poster
#15 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 7:18 AM
OK, I just spent 10 minutes looking over the thread to see if I had missed anything, perhaps I did. To sum up what I see to this point:
  • you have Quad Core 3.0, W7 64 with 4GB Ram, ATI 4800 series with drivers up to date, 2/3 of your drive is free space (don't see an issue here)
  • next post you mention using Dashboard and Process Monitor to check package files with no issues (good here too)
  • third post, you mention removing mods/packages and the game still crashes (not good! suggests software and/or hardware problems)
So here is what you need to do:
  • Move the Mods/Packages folder to your desktop. Forget about them for now.
  • go to your Documents folder > Electronic Arts folder
  • rename "The Sims 3" folder to "The Sims 3 Backup". The game will generate a new "The Sims 3" folder. Note: this will be just like you installed the game - no saved games, saved sims, video options will be reset to default, etc. This is normal and may take a little longer to load, since it has to generate new files.
  • Start the game and see how long you can play, just do normal things
The key here is whether you can play for extended periods without crashing. If it does, you been beating your head against the wall trying to sort out a package problem.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 7:54 AM
Ok did it. Runs fine and smooth. Next step copy over saves folder. If that runs smooth then mods, then packages sound like a plan?
Mad Poster
#17 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 8:05 AM
There are several folders under The Sims 3 folder which might be causing the issue.
Copy them one at a time from the backup folder to the new folder and test.
Yes, I would try saves firsts. Often times Saves can hold borked info, rule it out first!
Continue the process with each folder and test until they are all back in without the game crashing.
Note: this may take some time, but it's best to be sure that anything you put back in wont cause you grief later.
If you get the Documents done and can play without crashing, then yes, mods/packages folder is all that's left.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 8:11 AM
I copied saves folder so far it's running smooth is there really any need to copy the rest of the back up files?
Mad Poster
#19 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 8:16 AM
Not unless there is something there you really want.
Downloads folder, maybe, if you had any Sim3Pack files you don't want to have to download again.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 8:21 AM
No not really just ea store b.s.

Ok man I'm copying mods and sliders see how that goes. I dunno where u live but i owe you a beer. It's funny because I don't even play this game often it's just the principle that it wasn't working just ticking me off
Mad Poster
#21 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 8:22 AM
Been there, done that. Started helping out here because of it, never left. lol
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 8:26 AM
Is the awesome mod better then story progression do you know? Just noticed this mod has like pop up updates and I notice it is causing a slight lag when new info is popping up
Mad Poster
#23 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 8:35 AM
I don't use it. Pescado is very good about fixing EA Bugs and programming things otherwise not possible in the EA Base game.
Better, is a matter of opinion. I can do what I want with Tuning Mods and Twallens SuperComputer and Story Progression.
Though there are many people using both mods. Your choice.
Just remember, AM is a core mod and will only run with the Game Version it corresponds to.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 8:38 AM
Ok looks like mods running fine going to add just half of packages and see if it screws something up.

Also I followed the crash guide before and I did transfer over saved sims. This time I haven't. Everything so far seems good with half the packages files. Could a corrupted sim be the cause you think?
Mad Poster
#25 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 8:55 AM
hard to tell, many things can cause crashes. Which makes it so frustrating.
Page 1 of 2