Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Nov 2018 at 4:22 PM
Default SimPE default hair replacement problem
Hey all. I'm trying to default replace a hair and I've been following Marja's tutorial and it was going well until I got to this part:
open the gmdc to check how many groups the mesh has

When I try to view the gmdc, this is what pops up:
Warning: you need to installe MANAGED DIRECTX (see attached image)

The closest thing I could find to download was Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010), but when I installed this and tried again to open the gmdc in SimPE I still get the error message.

What do I do now? I'm getting seriously frustrated because I know I'd be able to replace a hair if only I could get past this step!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 9th Jan 2019 at 3:30 PM
Not sure if it's related, but do you have Nvidia DDS utilities installed? If you go to SimPE > Preferences it should give you the option there.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 2:02 AM
It's not related. The DirectX is a graphics issue. Did you install the extra files mentioned on the SimPE site before you installed SimPE?

Not sure if it's updated, but you'll find the links here: https://sims.ambertation.de/en/download/realdownload/
Under "Needed Software to run SimPE". It's probably the "Managed Direct X 9c" you'll want, though I'm not sure how it'll work on newer systems. I think the newest Direct X is 11 or 12, but I have no idea if those are compatible with SimPE. There's a chance the new version by Quaxi fixes some of the issues (here), but I can't say for sure.