Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th May 2014 at 5:39 AM
Default Trying to mesh a Japanese hair pin from scratch- but problems persist...
Hi guys. Well, I've come here, out of great frustration and exhaustion. Recently I decided to pick up milkshape [I've played around in it before] in hopes of teaching myself how to mesh. Although I am fully capable of making actual things in milkshape, 3D modeling seems to be something that I can grasp fairly well, I am, however, struggling to figure out how I would go about making a Japanese hair pin such as:

- or something of the like.

I've spent all day today fiddling with milkshape and attempting to make a hairpin for Sims 2, only to find that most of the tutorials for Sims 2 are outdated and lack pictures. [broken links] I've followed a great deal of tutorials, but have come up with nothing but blanks. So, I decided to switch over to Sims 3, as it's more recent, and you don't have to work through all that SimPE crap. I even managed to make a hair pin in milkshape [for the umpteenth time] exclusively to Sims 3, but I'm stuck. See, I need to position the hair pin so that it weaves into the hair, but I can't seem to find a 'model' to import into Milkshape [at least for Sims 3] so that I can adjust the hair pin accordingly. Am I missing something? I can't seem to find a 'model' anywhere that I can import so I can fix the hair pin so it sits right on the head, and goes through the hair.

I'm at my wit's end at the moment, and I'm writing this out of desperation. Even if I could find a model, I still would have no idea what to do after that. I imagine I would have to make a custom UVMAP, and god knows what else. Does anyone know of a descriptive tutorial [with legit pictures that work] on making accessories for Sims 3 from SCRATCH?

I have most programs at my disposal, Blender, UVMAPPER, Milkshape, CTU, even TSR Workshop- all the plugins, etc. Still, I can't seem to figure this out. Really, even a tutorial on making clothing/etc meshes from scratch would be fine. If someone would be willing to help, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 7th May 2014 at 1:44 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 7th May 2014 at 2:00 PM.
If you start with creating a sphere you dont have to worry about a proper uvmap.
Those usually come with a sqaure set of UVcoordinates that you can scale a little.

It is pretty easy to extract/export a hairmesh out of TSRW as either as WSO or OBJ format.
It is done in the meshtab.
You can import it in Milkshape to position your hairpin.

Here is a rough example.
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  pin.7z (1.30 MB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th May 2014 at 2:32 PM
Okay, cool, thanks BloomsBase, that's really helpful! I'll give it a try, definitely.

While you're here though, is it alright if I ask what I would do if I made a more elaborate hair accessory getup? One day [when I'm better at meshing and everything else. xD I'm not going to jump into it right now] I'd love to make something like this:

How would I go about UVmapping something like that? Really, the meshing part is easy, it's the UVMapping that's so darn confusing!

- Also, thank you so much for replying! :>
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 7th May 2014 at 4:37 PM
i once learned uvmappin from scratch by following this tutorial:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=145153
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th May 2014 at 1:43 PM
Thanks for the tutorial, BloomsBase, I'll definitely check into this. Thanks for all your help as well! :>