Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 6:55 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Bodyshop / blurred dress after changing color of the shoes
In Bodyshop i tried to change colors of shoes from a dress. The shoes weren't complety red, there were some white stains, so I want to make the shoes complety red.)
I don't know why, but after that, in game the dress is blurred. i haven't done anything to the texture of the dress.
This never happend before. Some ideas what can cause tis or how to fix? The dress I wanted to change the shoes in completly red is from here http://lovelacing.livejournal.com/4280.html
Its the ravishing roses dress in red.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 11:34 AM Last edited by maxon : 16th Jul 2017 at 1:58 PM.
It's sometimes something to do with the way BS imports the textures and that can be to do with the texture file itself and things like the colour depth setting (though if it's red, I should think it's 24 bit anyway). One possibility is importing the texture again into the file with SimPE using the DDS Utilities. I'll DL the file myself and have a look. Hang on.

Edit:
Hmmm - I can't see what the issue is and I can't replicate your problem. See the pictures. If I make the same sort of edit you are talking about, my new version of the dress looks the same to me. Perhaps it would help if you posted your graphic file (stick it in a zip to attach here).
Screenshots

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 3:38 PM
Here are the pictures. With the black dress, its the same
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Pictures.zip (8.87 MB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 3:43 PM
And here for everyone who want to see.. ;-)
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#5 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 3:52 PM
Did you recolor using BodyShop only? As maxon said, the way BS imports textures makes them blurry...and it is simple. BS will work with 512X512 images, while opening the file in SimPe, will allow you to import a 1024X1024 image..BS works with .bmp, while SimPE will allows .png. You are always better to use SimPE for any recoloring needs! Your image won't get resized, and the mapping will look the same.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 4:02 PM
Yes I only use bodyshop. Is it difficult to recolor with SimPe? If you have a easy tutorial.. i give it a try. ;-)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 4:13 PM Last edited by maxon : 15th Jul 2017 at 5:13 PM.
Yeah - when I said post your graphics file, I meant the textures not pictures of what it looks like in BS. I can see that for myself.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 4:19 PM
Difficult? not at all. Only difference is, you work with a bigger image and a .png one.
You'll need to download DDS Utilities , and of course SimPE program if you don't already have it.

Then you'll open the original dress package (make copy first)
select the image file..(stdMatBaseTextureName) export it. choose any location.
open that image you just exported in your paint program, make sure that program of yours can work with .png files.
when done, right click on your image in SimPE and choose Build DXT.
a pop up will show.
Format, leave it as it it. DXT5format, DXT3format is great.
Sharpen is set to Smoothen by default. Set it to None.
Then browse for your edited image, click Build and you are done.
Save your file.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#9 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 4:47 PM
The main difference between DXT3 and DXT5 is how they handle alphas. DXT3 can handle black and white easily, but doesn't give you the smooth finish DXT5 does on gradient greytones, so if you have an outfit with alpha-edited parts in gradients, use DXT5. For any parts with a white colored alpha, they're pretty much the same for the texture itself.

You can also use a DDS file, which is essentially the texture with the alpha added. They can be easier to use with clothes because you don't have to worry too much about the alpha (it's saved as a separate layer in the channels). Just export the blurred version as DDS, replace the texture, save the file, and import as DDS instead of DXT.

The blurred textures is a problem some people get with Bodyshop, and changing the textures in SimPE is as far as I know the only way to fix it.
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 5:38 PM
try it multiple times, but its not working. The sims is.. white
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#11 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 6:11 PM
Be sure to check the alpha - if the sim is white like that, the color normally hidden by the alpha is showing through. Could also be some wrong settings in the texture.

Do you have the file? It's much easier to figure out the problem when having something to look at.
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 6:16 PM
and sorry maxon, I missunderstand you. Did you mean this?
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Projects.zip (219.4 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 6:18 PM
simmer22 here it is, its the third recolor, the red one
Attached files:
File Type: zip  RavishingRosesDress.zip (534.2 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Mad Poster
#14 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 6:27 PM
I meant the file you were working on/had exported to the game (the one that appears in Savedsims after exporting).
But if the project file is any indication, I think the problem is that the textures are 512x512 instead of 1024x1024, for some bizarre reason, unless the project file resizes textures automatically.
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 6:30 PM
I delete it, cause it looks like that.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 6:33 PM
If you still have the project files, you can make another one, just open up the project in Bodyshop and choose "import to game".
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#17 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 7:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I meant the file you were working on/had exported to the game (the one that appears in Savedsims after exporting).
But if the project file is any indication, I think the problem is that the textures are 512x512 instead of 1024x1024, for some bizarre reason, unless the project file resizes textures automatically.

If it's exporting a file that already has a larger texture, it might.

Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#18 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 7:33 PM
Did you import in or not import in the alpha channel? because it looks like the alpha channel was messed with.
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 5:57 AM
I follow the instructions of Rosebine
if you see, after import the file looks different. Its white in the backround. But I only "paint" the shoes red...
Screenshots
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#20 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 11:09 AM
Where did you get the image that you edited? Did you export it from SimPE, then edit it, then import it back into SimPE? Or did you reuse the same image you used in Bodyshop?

If you used the one from Bodyshop, it won't work, because the file is "split" - the texture and the alpha are in different files. SimPE requires both the texture and the alpha to be in the same image. So you need to work on an image exported from SimPE, not one from Bodyshop.

btw, you might want to take a look at this: Game Help:Blurry Body Shop Projectswiki

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Instructor
Original Poster
#21 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 12:44 PM
I exported the image with SimPe,edit it and then import it back with SimPe.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#22 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 2:01 PM
The white background is a problem. You need no background as it is in the other pictures. This is your graphics programme causing the issue when you're saving the file having edited the texture. You need to save the red part as a layer. You should be able to do that if you save it as a png. If you save it as a bmp, your programme will smush the red layer together with the background and colour the background white. Where you can see a checker-board effect in your pictures is actually not part of the image but the programme showing you there's nothing there.

Mad Poster
#23 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 3:48 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Jul 2017 at 4:59 PM.
You have to use a PNG picture when importing anything transparent to SimPE (you can also use DDS and a couple other formats that can handle transparency, but PNG is the easiest).

You can't use a JPG because those are lower quality, and both BMP and JPG can't use transparency.

If you have an alpha texture ready, you can use BMP files (right-click, and choose "import alpha" for the black and white picture), but this sometimes results in a worse quality for the shadows.

Which program are you using for the edits? Photoshop? Gimp? Something else?
I'd advice you to not use regular Paint for edits, as the quality is low.

Just in case you don't have a program that can handle transparency, I attached an edited version of the shoes that you can use if you want (the one with a black background - the black parts are really transparent). I kept a little of the shine at the tip of the shoe, but colored red (the grey looked awful...) - transparency is applied, so it's ready for SimPE. Feel free to edit it. I also attached one you can use when editing in Bodyshop (the fully red one)
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#24 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 4:45 PM
I don't do anything to the file, only paint the shoes red. I don't save it a other way or use other files. Her as you see, the exported file of SimPE is a png. And after paint the shoes red I import it in SimPe. I do it step by step, how Rosebine has described
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#25 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 4:59 PM
Which program did you use to make the shoes red? Some programs add a background, even if you save over the file (like Paint).
Page 1 of 2