Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for July - posted on 1st Aug 2018 at 9:00 AM
Replies: 5 (Who?), Viewed: 1530 times.
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th May 2018 at 10:12 PM
Default Political Correctness-Should it exist?
i think it should not exist because so what if someone gets offended? they should get over it,free speech means we can say what we want so why is everyone so concerned about "offending people"? in my opinion if you don't like what someone is saying don't listen to it.

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
cats are better than humans and shall takeover earth in a couple of centuries after they evolve.
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 22nd May 2018 at 8:48 PM
I mostly agree, but would like to say that intentionally being hateful and/or using hateful language is NOT okay.

It's not okay to think/say others should change to accommodate complete strangers.
Theorist
#3 Old 22nd May 2018 at 8:51 PM
Just stick the middle finger up to it and tell them ‘you ain’t brainwashing me!!’

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Test Subject
#4 Old 29th May 2018 at 7:18 PM
We need political correctness to a degree, so that we aren't rude or offensive but not brainwashed into kindness. I agree with you mostly, but I think we still need respect for others,
Test Subject
#5 Old 11th Aug 2018 at 4:38 AM
Political correctness is necessary as a concept, however, I feel that due to its loose and careless usage these days, it's either used in some deontological manner (which I don't like) or it's tossed at people who genuinely care or trying to learn about human advocacy things, which diminishes its value. For example, one could be be against something so basic (such as being against slurs or violent rhetoric against a group of persons) -- that some or most would agree with -- and someone would take their outrage as being "PC". I've seen folks accused of practicing political correctness for the simplest things, such as not referring to disabled people as the r word. As for the deontological point, I don't like things being done solely out of a sense of duty. Being considerate and having common courtesy shouldn't be a chore. It lacks sincerity in my opinion.

In essence, it as a concept and idea has good intent but the way its regarded and (over/mis)used makes it become as meaningless as the word "triggered" has. With that being said, freedom of speech is certainly a freedom, but free speech isn't without consequences nor a shield against opposition.
Instructor
#6 Old 12th Aug 2018 at 8:46 PM
What exactly do you mean by political correctness? Do you mean we should just stop being civil. Do you want to use the N word on black people or the f word on gay people and not be bothered about if they'll be offended? Will you also get over it if others call you the C word cause they don't like you? If that's not what you mean? Then what exactly are you talking about when you say political correctness?
Free speech gives you the right to say whatever you want without having to go to prison. That's all it does. You can still face other consequences like get banned from a website for eg. because bullying is against their rules. Freedom of speech won't stop your friends and family from shunning you because of the things you say.