Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Nov 2015 at 11:20 AM Last edited by artrui : 10th Nov 2015 at 12:51 PM.
Default Challenge of decorating useful objects (idea collecting)
Where is the limit of decorating a usable Sims 4 items? if one decorate a functional item in a wrong way, the item can be usless for sims.
We know that each item has a footprint. We can see the green highlighted footprint by moving an item. In my opinion, it doesn't mean that we may not put an other item into that area of the footprint. I open this thread to collect the information where is the boundary of the functional area of the sims 4 basegame items.

I'm searching for every new idea to deal with the Sims! To me this game's just like a tool. One can change and create everything he/she wants!
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Nov 2015 at 11:43 AM
If I understand correctly what you mean: the green footprint is only an abstraction of the actual bounding box of an item. When you move objects close to one another holding the alt key, you can tell where that bounding box starts and ends.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Nov 2015 at 12:30 PM
Default decorate a piano
The sims 4 basegame piano is very big. It has 2x3 footprint.
But the back part of the piano (2 grids footprint) can be hidden in the wall.Then, use two cupboards to decorate it like a small piano. The piano is still playful.
The back part of the pinao is in an other room. I've used other cupboards to hide it. If you take away a cupboard, you can see the part of the piano.
One can even decorate the pinao from it't front further. I've put some dacorations under and beside the piano. Sims can still use the piano.
If I put a sculpture beside the seat of piano, it block the way so that sim can not reach there from the side of the sculpture. But sim can use the other side. The painting there on the floor is a small object and has only 1/4 grid footprint. Even it is within the footprint of the piano, it doesn't block the way.
If I put sculptures on the both sides of the seat during a sim is playing that piano, it doesn't bother that sim by playing, but she can no more leave the piano.
Thus, the middle part of pinao (the red marked area in my last picture) is the absolute footprint of playing a pinao. One should leave a way free (at least 1/4 grid beside a pinao seat) so that a sims is able to sit there. No other item should be put within the red marked lines.

I hope that the screenshots can give you a clear outline.
This pinao is in my uploaded Seven Dwarfs' Fairyland . You can proof it yourself.

I'm searching for every new idea to deal with the Sims! To me this game's just like a tool. One can change and create everything he/she wants!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Nov 2015 at 12:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
If I understand correctly what you mean: the green footprint is only an abstraction of the actual bounding box of an item. When you move objects close to one another holding the alt key, you can tell where that bounding box starts and ends.

I'm not sure, how exactly I can define the boundary of functional objects by using hotkey "alt". I want at first get clear whether it will work with other items (put in grid) within it's footprint.