Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#51 Old 13th Oct 2009 at 3:59 PM
Here is a calculator for getting the color values.

http://easyrgb.com/index.php?X=CALC

You can enter the RGB and copy/paste from the RGB 0-1.0 output line below.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Advertisement
Alchemist
#52 Old 13th Oct 2009 at 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WesHowe
Yes, you will need a two group object, three if you want glass, metal and plastic.

...in addition to the (maybe) dropshadow group (which usually is present only in the "00000000" MLOD.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Alchemist
#53 Old 14th Oct 2009 at 12:14 AM
I stand corrected...that's why you're the programmer guru and I'm the girl Friday. Don't start thinking I'm going to get your coffee though...I only serve sweet tea darlin'.

I have another question if you have time to give it some thought...or maybe it won't take you any thinking to answer. I'm wondering, if for some glass objects that would look ok without a shadow, if there is any way of using the shadow group for a glass group. If so what would that involve besides replacing the plane with my mesh piece and editing the shadow code? Or can't that code be edited? I notice it has no MTST...is it possible to add one somehow?

Thanks for the link to the calculator Cmomoney...I'm going to include that in the tutorial...it's really helpful. Now off to finish taking pics for said tutorial.

OM
Forum Resident
#54 Old 14th Oct 2009 at 12:30 AM
What would be even better is if someone found out how to save meshes with more groups than the original
Alchemist
#55 Old 14th Oct 2009 at 12:48 AM
I don't know all of the details on why MTST blocks are used, I think you have to look other places.

I am not certain about using a dropshadow group for a different purpose, because they have a different flag in the MODL and I don't think that would be changed... parts are just copied over from the original MODL file.

But you could try it. If the shader listed in the MTLSRC file is not a dropshadow, then it will be treated by the recompiler like any other mesh. The MilkShape plugin already does that, the special handling is in the decompiler/recompiler code.

However, you can't just add in a group into the MODL file. Most, or maybe all, of the meshes I have studied only had the dropshadow in the more detailed LOD ("00000000") and not the less detailed one", 00000001", and none in the sunshadows. So when the less detailed mesh would be displayed, some part of your mesh will disappear.

So for that reason, I don't think it is a useful change.Certainly, glass things would perhaps have a reduced or no groundshadow, but this can be done by changing the uv map to point to some invisible part of the dropshadow texture map, or making a new image that is invisible and leaving the uv mapping alone... either should work to make the groundshadow invisible.

I have been hiding in this hole here for a while, but it looks like much of the object characteristics can be edited in the OBJD and XML items, which means there is a wider latitude for choices of base objects to clone from. I know I have seen static objects with three usable groups, glass, metal and wood/plastic, but I have forgotten which one it was.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Alchemist
#56 Old 14th Oct 2009 at 4:29 AM
So much to discuss...but where to start?...perhaps in special handling...I really like the sound of that Wes. But...sigh...I'm sure you aren't thinking the same thing that I am about that...

In any case, the pics for the tutorial are all finished and tomorrow I will post the tutorial after going through it again to check for errors...I find it's always best to look at things another day to make sure there are no mistakes.

OM
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 8:27 PM
Question: I the first three values in the diffuse code lines are RGB colors, then what is the fourth value?
Forum Resident
#58 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 10:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hisui_hana
Question: I the first three values in the diffuse code lines are RGB colors, then what is the fourth value?

Transparency.
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 11:10 PM
So the lower the value the more transparent?
Alchemist
#60 Old 21st Nov 2009 at 12:10 AM
That is correct.

OM
Page 3 of 3