Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#2226 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 9:35 AM
I have not decided on the size (size does not equal quality, really ) - or even on what it will be. I have a shell in two sizes I actually think the 3X3 lot is adequate, but depending on what I am going to make, I may need more space.
Have looked around for cc - not sure I am going to need anything new, though.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2227 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 9:59 AM Last edited by gazania : 14th Jun 2017 at 10:13 AM.
After expanding my lot, I don't know if I want to stay with that or go back to the smaller size. I can certain add more! It's an art center/park ... just add more art or inspirations for art. A pond, some more trees, etc. That sculpture garden or a gallery. A coffee shop. A small photo studio.

But first of all, this park is already a little larger than the RL place I'm basing it on. Most art centers are not large lots. That's really not realistic, and I think I reached the limit with 3x3.

Secondly, I didn't realize that the area outside the park in the back was very slightly slanted (so slight that I really didn't notice it before expanding), and now my lot has a slight dip in the back. Very slight, but still there. The entire hood terrain I chose is not very suitable for larger lots. I'm wondering if it would be better to redo the lot and flatten the area first in using ModfiyHoodTerrain or use the Lot Adjuster .. or just go back to the smaller size and leave well enough alone. I still need the flirty item, though.

Most of all, I think I need to go to bed.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2228 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 11:52 AM
4 by 4 base game lot uploaded. Thanks AndrewGloria.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#2229 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 12:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
For anyone who hasn't started building yet, it's safest and easiest to just start with a real 4x4 lot and carefully count where Jo put the foundations and place them yourself. She gave us a grid pic, so just add 5 to each side, and keep the amount from the front the same. Has no one made a new template yet? I'm sure not everyone is comfortable with the LotAdjuster, nor confident in their counting abilities.
I've made a new 4x4 template and sent it to Jo to place in the first post. I actually did one yesterday, but I'm glad Jo didn't put it up, because I did it wrong! It wasn't really flat! I made in my AGS base game building 'hood, which uses the Maxis Driftwood terrain. Most of that terrain looks flat, but it isn't quite. At least some of the ground has a very slight slope. I had the same problem in Downtown a few years ago, but the late, great Mootilda was still around to help me out.

I've now corrected the template lot with the terrain flattening tool, and finally used the Lot Adjuster again with the Flatten Lot Edges option. I can now place objects right to the edge of the lot. Jo has added it to the first post now.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#2230 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 3:13 PM
And that sounds like what I have to do it I want a flat and larger lot. Thank you, AndrewGloria. It's not a huge deal, since I haven't built on it and still have my 3x3 stowed away. I plan to work on both versions and see which one I prefer. Much of the expansion will be park, so I can get around the size that way.

Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#2231 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 3:57 PM
When I end up with a lot that isn't perfectly flat, I expand it out another tile set with Lot Adjuster, then go into the lot and use the flatten tool (the scary one click one), then go back to Lot Adjuster and shrink it down telling it Flat Edges. Always worked for me!
Mad Poster
#2232 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 6:05 PM
I'll give that a try, thanks! And Phaenoh, I had to smile. I'm planning to use one of your downloads on my lot.

retired moderator
#2233 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 6:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
And Phaenoh, I had to smile. I'm planning to use one of your downloads on my lot.
I instantly tried to guess, and then realized I have A LOT of buy mode downloads that are good for lots. Playground set maybe? Tire swing? Floor overlays? Rotisserie spit? Those are my best guesses for a comm lot. Did I win?
Mad Poster
#2234 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 6:44 PM
Progress (Not sure if I know what I am doing, but time for a visit to the fermented fruit juice bar. Restocking - see all exhausted builders there later)!
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#2235 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 6:56 PM
I found my intersex flag! It and its other prideful recolors are under "curtains."

I've got the structures and essential items set up to please me. Now I need to do plantings and terrain paint, finish decorating for Pride, and playtest. And, oh yeah, I haven't placed any lights yet.

At this point I would like to remind the judges that absurdity is my aesthetic insofar as I have one. No way I'll try to upload this one. Not only would tracking down where I got all the custom content be a pain, I doubt it's something anybody else would use.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#2236 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 7:25 PM
Yeah I don’t think I’ll upload my lot either, listing all CC with links is a pain.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Mad Poster
#2237 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 9:22 PM Last edited by gazania : 21st Jun 2017 at 11:16 PM.
Most of my CC, I've researched. Any CC where I don't know the TOU is out. I did not add extra Maxis paint or wall coverings EXCEPT for certain ICad recolors here, and no CC flooring. My CC is bad enough, and I'm still trying, with mixed success, to keep my CC list from not extending to a second Word doc page. .

Cyclonesue stuff from TSR has been used for more than a decade now. Whatever my thoughts are re TSR, it would be in extremely poor taste not to link directly to her content, as well as ICad, who recolored one of the items in my build. I used one Halfiseazale (hope I spelled that right) Item ... maybe two ... I'd have to check), and Halfiseazale's policy is easy. I did do the expanded easel stuff on TSR and would have to hunt that down and give credit there. Oh, and the child's pottery wheel from Nixed Sims ... also a well-known site with an open policy. I'm on my way to getting different roof edgings ... all the Maxis ones are clunky as hay-ell, or you barely see them. Ailias edges will do nicely for those.

I'm not sure if anyone would even WANT my lot, never mind if I should upload it. I'm going a little hog-wild here and the judges may wind up roasting me over the coals ... or not. Here is my thought process:

At this point, unless the people ahead of me win an all-expense trip to the destination of their choice and must leave in two hours to claim the prize, or get abducted by aliens, there isn't a snowball's chance I'll win this thing. I didn't think I would anyway, but at this point, the deal is sealed. I didn't stink in the previous rounds, at least (well, not in the previous three rounds ... I have no idea about the last one), and that's what I was hoping for. I learned more stuff. In that way, I fulfilled my goal. And oh ... for years, I kind of hid most of my builds under tiny pictures, and yanked posts when I posted them. In this contest, I feel like I'm parading in my underwear. Might as well put the lampshade on my head as well for this last round!

When I do community lots, I don't like to hold back. Building this lot is taking every ounce of my self-control not to go totally wild. While at 4.25 gigs, my DL folder isn't all that large compared with many, it still has a rich catalog of goodies, and I used several of my favorite tried-and-trues in this build. I absolutely, positively, adore making community lots and subtlety is generally not one of my main traits with them. I usually fill them with lots of Sims catnip to keep my Simmies engaged and happy. That's what I do.

So I really doubt that anyone would want such a gaudy, go big or go home lot. Surprisingly, the package size isn't that large for a large lot with CC, I don't think. I'd have to see the downloads for the loaded community lots here. I've seen HOUSE lots with 50MB or more stuff elsewhere. One community lot I saw (not here) had over 100 MB. I believe I have seen even larger sizes. My favorite custom-build lot that I use in my game and that my Simmies really enjoy tops the package load at around 50 mb! (Well, it does have the pirate ship, an aquarium, a petting zoo, a food stand, a place to get some ice cream, various interactive creative and science rooms, two giant dinosaur models, etc ... it's a kid's Discovery museum on a beach lot)! This one is around 6 without the optional folder.

Oh, and the architecture is modern, based on two or three different modern house plans and pictures. And I know for many, modern can be a turn-off. But heck with it. I'm just not in the mood to play it safe this time. This is going in my game, it's what I like, and I'm having a blast!

retired moderator
#2238 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 9:41 PM
The most common reason for a lot package to get huge is because lot get automatically packaged with every recolor for every custom object used. So if you have all million and a half Michelle and Anna colors for HL's awesome curtains, even though you only used the orange one, all the other got packaged with. If the creator then doens't use Clean Installer to untick all the extra colors, they end up uploading a giant file unnecessarily. The MTS uploader catches that when it happens, and we let the creators know how to fix it. Textures are always where the size comes from. That's why I LOVE CC repo'ed to Maxis. Clean, simple and tiny!

Gazania, this is the perfect time to go buck wild on your lot. Let's see what you've got! I want to see, in particular, your definition of Sim Catnip. Maybe it's just been that residential houses aren't your thing, but you could be stellar at comm lots. They are two totally different beasts.
Mad Poster
#2239 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 9:55 PM Last edited by gazania : 21st Jun 2017 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Sounded a little snippy there. Sorry!
Oh, I have no idea. But I'm pragmatic with both residential and community lot houses ... just in a different way. I doubt if my community lot effort will be wow-worthy. No fireworks. Sorry. Just big and gaudy!

When I build residential lots, I almost always build with the thought that I will probably alter them. So every lot I build, I keep that in mind. It might have limited me here a little, I will also not download a residential lot where I can't knock down walls, put on an extension, etc. That's just me. I keep futzing around with them.

With a community lot, I go through spells where I'll knock off many at a time, then take a long break. In my mind, my community lots need to have multiple purposes. If I build a clothing shop, for instance, I like to put in an area where I can hold a fashion show (RIP Sims Wardrobe, by the way ... hope we'll see a resurrection.) I like lots where my Sims can do many things. The catnip doesn't have to be fancy or CC. A bunch of vending machines, the karaoke machine, a coffee shop, a food stand, a pond, the arcade machine (I don't put all of those in my lots, but you get the idea, I think!) .... there are objects the Sims just can't keep away from. That's what I mean by catnip. I also like a lot where a Sim can skill. If my Sim buys a clothing store, I like to put the sewing machine in a room.

I do not expand on a community lot. So it's a different kind of pragmatic approach.

Mad Poster
#2240 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 11:11 PM
Starting over....
Not sure why, but the lot really seems very slow, and I seldom have a problem with that. Not sure who enjoyed testing the least, my test Sim or I Probably something in the cc. Besides, my test Sims seemed rather bored! So I am going to take the new, bigger lot and concentrate more on fun than on building fancy things. And I am going to build it without cc first. Wish me luck (grabbing another fermented juice before starting...)
Scholar
#2241 Old 15th Jun 2017 at 12:06 AM
Whatever I build, it needs to feel nice to me, it must be a place I’d like to visit in real life. I also tend to build similar lots when I want to keep consistency in style in a certain area in the hood, or purely because I like a certain style and I want to often see it.

With the last round lot I feel more free as there isn’t budget limit, and I decided to use CC, but after the contest it will be edited too as I don’t need a parenting room in my game, but I’ll leave the child items and maybe actually visit that lot with a child sim, which I never normally do

@joandsarah77 I’m still happy you let us change the size, my lot needed that Now my playground has a decent size and looks less prone to stompies.
I also have a question – is it fine to leave those stairs for decorative purposes? That area would look weird with those tiles of stairs where the tables are removed, and there are plenty of other ways for sims to go there, so I think it should be fine to leave it like that, but I want to ask for sure

Simblr
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2242 Old 15th Jun 2017 at 12:24 AM
I'm not sure that I understand your question. There are no rules about stairs.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#2243 Old 15th Jun 2017 at 12:25 AM
Voeille, love the plaza. It would be the perfect opportunity to use the corner stair trick, should you wish it.

I have a few items of cc - plants, windows, lights, a painting or two, stair recolours, and a couple of walls I made myself, but if I uploaded I'd probably replace most of it with Maxis stuff, and probably also replace the decking with foundation (which looks a bit odd with a brick building but I like the brick building). We'll see.

Edit: I'm excited to see the many different styles for this one.

2nd edit: Jo, I think Voeille means the stairs can't be used where the tables are, but Sims can use the stairs where tables aren't.
Mad Poster
#2244 Old 15th Jun 2017 at 1:06 AM Last edited by gazania : 15th Jun 2017 at 1:35 AM.
Your lots are always gorgeous, Voielle!

Because my parenting room seems so large, I could replace it with a couple of things. I'll tell ya ... if I had one of these when I had kids, I'd be very grateful!

I went with Plan B, which increased the package size to 12 MB. But Plan B is fully, fully optional. Remove it and voila ... a shop or gallery! The sculpture mod looks great, and when I have time, I might check it out. But I KNOW Plan B works, because I've used it before and tested it thoroughly.

I've been trying to make super, super-rough stained-glass ceilings using the double-sided tiles, but am not too happy with the result except in one building. That was almost a good idea. I might leave it on the one building, though. Perhaps a break might help.

How much time do we have left? Feeling like left-over crud for almost a week hasn't helped any. :/ If we have only a week or less, I'd better get a move on!

Top Secret Researcher
#2245 Old 15th Jun 2017 at 1:39 AM
I'm pretty sure we have heaps of time. I'm near completion and close to taking pics, but, like NatteryakToad, don't want to be the first either.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2246 Old 15th Jun 2017 at 2:02 AM
You have ages, judges have only just started judging last round as far as I am aware. Thy clock says judges have nearly 5 days.

@Voeille Can you explain your problem a little more? I am quite sure whatever it is, is fine. If something that looks usable is meant to be decorative say so in your text so the judges understand.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#2247 Old 15th Jun 2017 at 2:13 AM
@justpetro ... it might be me, but I find if I have a whole lot of plants on a lot, my game slows to a crawl. Somebody .... was it you, Phaenoh? ... expressed a strong dislike for dozens and dozens of plants move_objected on top of each other. I would have to second that. When I did Camp Yurt way back (my first vacation motel/hotel/campground), I put harvestable mushrooms, trees and wildflowers heavily throughout the lot. My game hated it. I had to remove quite a few of the plants to get things going again. I have a usuable video card, but not a great one. Not one that can play Witcher 3. It's a little hard to see in your picture, but if you have lots and lots of plants, you might have to cull them.

@Phaenoh ... it was the toddler mat. Sorry. I like that idea better than the crib, and I can get more than one toddler settled down. From what I read here, pet mats are a no-no, but the toddler mats are OK. And I will need two mats when I draft the Lamberts to test the lot.

I still haven't play-tested my big n' gaudy lot yet, so I have no idea how that lot's going to run. It might be back to the 3x3 and NO Plan B if my lot is slower than my metabolism.

Scholar
#2248 Old 15th Jun 2017 at 2:13 AM
I mean what yavannatw said, that those stairs that have a table or a chair in front of them aren’t usable, but I want to keep them there for decorative purposes. The plaza is still fully accessible because I put plenty of stairs around it, as shown in that picture I posted. But I’ll indeed mention it in the text, as well as many other things because for all I see there are things that might be unclear on my lot. And I’ll definitely have to play test it after finishing it

And those empty corners never bothered me, I always put plants there and I will do so on that lot too I’ll create the garden at the very end; it will definitely be a laggy lot, it already is when I zoom out and it’s still far from being done.

Edit: I prefer a laggy lot with a huge amount of plants than a non-laggy one without them or with just a few

Simblr
Mad Poster
#2249 Old 15th Jun 2017 at 6:42 AM
@gazania - thanks I am, though, reasonably sure that it is not plants, since there really aren't that many, none are move_objected upon each other and I have lots with lots more plants. It is still the 3X3 lot, there are 2 trees, pond plants and two flower borders.

I won't even call it just laggy; the lag is excessive and I would not play it myself as it is right now. Normally I would not have tested it yet - there were still a number of things I wanted to do - but I am really glad that I felt like testing yesterday. At least there are time to build something else and we have a long weekend over here anyway, so that will be handy.
Mad Poster
#2250 Old 15th Jun 2017 at 9:27 AM
Nearly ready to post? All I've done so far is make the little square foundation into a bandstand with a roof that I hate! I've a rough idea what I want to do -- make a child friendly park with attractions for all Sims, but, as for actually doing it, . . .

I'll use the original 3x3 template if I can, but expand to 4x4 if I can't get everything in.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.

Page 90 of 106