Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 8:22 AM Last edited by Rosebine : 28th Jul 2017 at 1:35 AM. Reason: As good as it gets.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default I ruined my daughter's game...(solved)
I am actually posting from her laptop. I decided tonight, to try to fix her sims 2 lagging problem. Well, turned out, I did worst, now the game won't even start.
First, I changed a few lines in GraphicRules, both in BodyShop and main game. Just to fix the screen resolution...and to allow smooth edge.
Then I launched the game, changes are there...but of course, lag has not improved, and game is still unplayable.

She has 16G of ram, but I thought...maybe the game needs to be allocated more than it takes.
So I then downloaded cffexplorer, and effectively, the <2GB was not checked. I checked it, save. I did this for both BodyShop and the last game installed, in our case, Store edition.

Game won't start from the newly created shortcut...but will launch from launcher.
I get this error message :
Failed to enumerate any DirectX 9 compatible graphics adapters in this system!
Please make sure you have a DirectX 9 compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest manufacturer provided driver.
The application will now terminate.

She has Directx 12...
Ok then! let's put back the old .exe.
Still get that error message.
I replaced the new GraphicRules by the original ones, just in case...no luck.

I even uninstall the sims 2 store edition, redownload it from my games on Origin..and re install.
Still get that directx message.
I really ruined it this time huh...
Here's this computer's info :

EDIT to Add...
Ok! My stupid bad...I copied the .exe to the wrong folder(duh)..and this is why it would not launch..lol
BUT!..even allocating <2GB of ram...the game is still unplayable, because it lags SO much. I hate Win10.
So, if anyone can help kill that lag, Ju and me would be very grateful!

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 11:02 AM
Did you configure the game so it only uses one core? This game came out when multi-core processors weren't the big thing, so it gets confused when it finds more than one, and it lags because of that. Kiri made a post with a solution for that at Leefish: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthre...=36103#pid36103
If the lag keeps going, there's another thread in there: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=7127
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 5:04 PM
Thank you, I'll go check these out. But for now, I seem to have created a bigger issue..her laptop won't start.
I saw her drivers for the amd raedon needed upgrading, so i download the newer, then proceed to install it. I went outside for a few minutes, and when i was back, the laptop had a black screen, was not responding etc.
I turned it off, restart it..and it will just hang there..I get the Acer brand screen with the loading/turning thing...then a black screen with that never ending loading/turning thing. It just won't load/start!

Mad Poster
#4 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 5:13 PM
Rosebine-hate to say it but the more you try to fix it, the worse it will get. I think it's time you hauled it off to a computer expert and get it reset to factory specs. sounds like you might have damaged something in the internals by messing with core programs..

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 5:16 PM Last edited by Rosebine : 27th Jul 2017 at 5:53 PM.
By updating a driver? or by hacking an .exe to allow to use more than 2GB? I hope you are wrong, but thank you. I might need to bring it to a tech. like you said.(which are basically nowhereToBeFound around here)

Ok...so i got it to boot entering safe mode. Now I need some guidance on how to roll back the amd radeon drivers I just installed. (it was on version 16.something, and I installed version 17.something)Her laptop clearly hated it. But I barely find my way around on win 10.
Thank you.

Mad Poster
#6 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 6:15 PM
Computers are funny little beasts. You think you know how to handle one until it kicks its' little feet up and dies on you. I've had that happen before.

But good luck with the upgrade.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 6:49 PM
Thank you, you're sweet
Well..dunno if this is because it is in safe mode now, but the option to roll back drivers is greyed out...and the driver installed seems to be the one I wanted to upgrade..so 16.something. Like if it never actually upgraded to 17.something.
So i clicked *update* and i am told that i have the latest's drivers...

But, when i select amd radeon settings from the windows key, it tells me that no drivers is installed.
Something if phoquing with me.

Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#8 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 7:00 PM
Sounds like the drivers didn't install correctly. And for the >2 gb patch I always use the nt core 4 GB patch program. Easier! Also do you have enough virtual memory allocated? That helps too.

Maybe since you can't roll back drivers and reinstall, does restore work? I don't know enough about windows 10 to know how well restore to a former save point works with it.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 7:12 PM
It surely didn't install properly, and it probably just damaged the driver..to a point where, computer says I have none installed.
But while in safe mode, I tried to launch ts2..(just for the kick) it cannot start..because i have no drivers it says. lol
I'm still looking into fixing my mistake(s) now.

Scholar
#10 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 7:45 PM
It's not "none" but virtual "SVGA", kind of something

I'd suspect disc failure while drivers' installation or while rebooting and evaluation. Happens.

Have you tried to use Restore to the previous System Image functionality? Not roll back driver installation (because if the subsequent driver's files are damaged it does not help and may introduce even more damage) and no producer "Restore" (that will restore the machine to the pure factory setting). The particular working System Image may be not the last one but the previous. And also disk integrity should be examined - some system files may be damaged.

And before you start messing around, while you have access via Safe Mode you do a backup on the external drive, right? Just in case.

You may try (however I'd advise not) to force installation last known working drivers over the damaged ones manually - download, run installation, force to overwrite. Registry will require cleaning after this to remove leftovers.

And well - last resort before the paid service (or Win10 spec friend) is factory default restore.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#11 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 8:22 PM
You're in safe mode, so go for the nuclear option - uninstall the driver completely and then install it again. (Once you've uninstalled the driver Windows will use its own crappy default display driver; it'll be ugly and the screen resolution will be wrong, but it's good enough for installing the new driver again)

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 8:43 PM
Thank you all.
I am now posting from her laptop that I seemed to have fixed.
I am not in safe mode anymore.
While in safe mode, i could not go on the net, so asking this machine to find updates for any drivers was..stupidly useless.
So, I choose to find drivers ON this machine, in a list of..drivers. I first picked one that looked older, then amd settings would not say none were installed, so I restarted the computer, to see if it would then start windows normally. It did. (yay!)
So..I went back to my graphic cards, and asked to upgrade..now that internet works. oops...same as first time.
Go back in safe mode...this time, picked the drivers that were there prior to me trying to *fix* stuff.
Now, all seems fine, and i am not going to update again..lol

About TS2 now, i followed instruction on Leefish, thanks to Velvetina's link, and trick the shortcut to think this laptop only has one core. It has 4..that is 2 more than MY gaming desktop!
game starts. I turned shadows off thought, but all other settings are high, with smooth edges to the toP.
Game is now playable, more than ever.
I have one more step to do, make the game recognize the gaming graphic card which shows in log as (not found in database)
Funny thing is, I just recently did this on my computer, but I do not remember how. lol

Seems like I'll keep editing in here

Instructor
#13 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 9:01 PM
Lemme guess... You turned off the shadows because of the black boxes, right? Get the shadowfix fron Nopke.
To add your graphic card to the database, use Graphics Rules Maker. The Device Info tab has the option to do that. As you can see in the pic I attached, my potato card wasn't recognized after I restored the original file, so I had to readd it
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 9:08 PM Last edited by Rosebine : 28th Jul 2017 at 1:37 AM.
No black squares, but since this is the only setting who would care for?..i decided to simply turned it off. (I already have that mod in the Downloads folder )
I have a great fear of the graphic rules maker...you know, how ONE bad experience can traumatize someone? hehe
But I think I found the info/tutorial I had followed for my computer about making the new card found and use. So I am now working the steps! (and logged on here on 2 computers, simultaneously, yeah!)
thank you much

EDIT :
Thank you again, Velvetina, I finally ended up downloading and running the GRmaker. I only used it for adding my graphic card, but had to do it for both M&G and Store Edition...which I use the latter to start the game.
Now the log file sees the card, though I had to reedit the graphicrules manually, to get back to proper screen resolution and enabling smooth edges. (yes, these can be ajusted by the GRMaker, but it didn't work.)

So now, all is well but unfortunately...it still lags. It is some kind of improvements, the game is playable...but it is not ideal.

@gdayars
would you have a link to that 4gb patch program? I vaguely remember reading about it.
Maybe this would also help. After that though, there won't be much more that can be done to improve laginess...

nm, I think I found it.
http://ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php
And failed....the game won't start. lol
I'll get it to work, trust me
I got it to work, and it is as good as it is ever going to be.