Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 6:28 PM
Default How to add extra floors to a Late Night apartment?
So I'm building an apartment, this thing, and it's a penthouse inside a Late Night shell. Problem is, I've modified the shape of the apartment. So everytime I go up a floor, this shit happens. Which, okay, fair enough, is tolerable from a distance. But what's not tolerable is that I can't put a roof over my household's heads without having that thing show up.

So I figured, I'll just replace it with one of those CC CASTable shells, since you can toggle between the different visibility states. (I actually ended up accidentally toggling the visibility in DebugEnabler, after which I had to reload the game.)
So I do that and find out that if you hide the building's top part and go up a floor, all your walls disappear. Which was not what I want. So then I kept mucking around until the whole thing stopped working, and it just puts the top part of the shell on every time I go up a level.

So what I'm wondering is, how the hell do you add a level to a penthouse? I need to put some sort of roof on this. Preferably one that's literally just some floor tiles that you can't see when putting the top back on, which I'll also want to be able to do, because otherwise the building will look weird.

Thanks.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 28th Jul 2017 at 8:56 PM
Can't you use a shell without "decoration" on the top? What about dropping a floor into the shell, and adapt the open floor of the penthouse to the decoration on the roof.

I just assume it's a part of the mesh. My solution would be a different shell, no sorry I would of course make myself a cfe shell instead. You can put elevators in the cfe shell and make it look whatever you like.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Jul 2017 at 10:22 PM
Unfortunately none of those solutions are suitable for this apartment, because I don't want to have to modify the apartment. A CFE shell could work, but it wouldn't look as good.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
dodgy builder
#4 Old 29th Jul 2017 at 7:47 AM
Good? I say it depends on the builder. There might also be some cc shells you can find in wcif, but frankly why do you ask if you don't want to change anything?

Have you tested if the roof addition is a routing obsticle?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Jul 2017 at 10:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
but frankly why do you ask if you don't want to change anything?

Because why would you want to have to redesign a house just to put a roof on?

insert signature here
dodgy builder
#6 Old 29th Jul 2017 at 12:02 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 29th Jul 2017 at 1:56 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Because why would you want to have to redesign a house just to put a roof on?

Haha, why don't you join the club of people who does?

At the moment I'm working on a set of walls for my big project. I have saved one swatch just to realize my template has no specular and bumpmap.

Another similar thing. I build a modern design for a house, just to realize I don't like the look of it from a distance. Back to the drawing board.

It's a part of being a designer. Back and forth, back and forth. It's why painters often work on different canvases simultaniously. You make a coffee or go do something else for a while.

It's also how you learn. If you're not willing to, you will end up with less production, more frustration and tons of unsatisfying finished projects.

You will have to learn how to deal with the emotions.

Like my goldsmith mentor once told me. Welcome to the club of dissatisfied Creators.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Jul 2017 at 2:15 PM
Well, okay, fair enough. But I REALLY like the upper floor living room, it's exactly what I wanted to make (ignoring the anachronistic TV). It's hard to get rid of something you like, especially in TS3.
But what would I do, then? I'm still gonna have two floors. I can't have just one; that'd be way too small. So how would I redesign it to have a roof?

insert signature here
dodgy builder
#8 Old 29th Jul 2017 at 3:37 PM
I'm going to be utterly useless and suggest you copy the room to a new lot.

...oh no!!! that's ts4
Site Helper
#9 Old 29th Jul 2017 at 3:39 PM
Can you make it a blueprint?

(Blueprints are something I've never used. I usually end up building the rooms myself and then remembering about the blueprints.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Jul 2017 at 4:27 PM
You can create blueprints in TS3 using a mod, an external program, some mucking around with .packages, and an empty lot. So no, I don't think I can, and I don't think I can be asked to.
And aren't they the most forgettable feature TS3 has? They kind of threw it in there in one of the later patches, as a little nod to the builders, then never did anything with it again and didn't provide any real use for them.

insert signature here