Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Movie Night #2 - posted on 10th Aug 2017 at 2:58 PM
Replies: 48 (Who?), Viewed: 22138 times.
Page 2 of 2
Test Subject
#26 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 10:01 PM
Default Motherhood Prerequisites and or Semen is used in Parenting WTF ?????????????
Well , Interesting reply
And whilst since you literally analyze text for a living, analytically you apparently only missed that text that was only missing only just ;
and the entire whole point of the Vet story !
Nowhere in the little story of a trip to the Vet does it say anyone's views on Motherhood and what are the most important aspects or prerequisites of Motherhood or any implications of any of this individuals thoughts about anything.
It stated several facts.
She gave birth.
She breastfed.
She had a dog.
She went to a vet .
She seems to differentiate between herself and a canine.
That's in fact all we know. The rest, my dear is conjecture on your part.. .

Hmmmmm
could be twins ,
could be multiple births
Anjelina Jolie -Pitts bunch o Cuties?
could be Kris Jenner Kardashian's brood?
kids could be dead,
could be adopted out.
could be 12 brats screaming at her feet now
Could be Octomom
Could be Princess Kate (and William)
............We do not actually know, it remains a mystery..................

" " "And I was referring not only to lactation, but to the various forms of afterbirth, as well as semen because I used the gender-neutral form of 'parent'." " "

Placenta is the only form of afterbirth we are medically familiar with, are there others?
Not familiar with how Semen is used in Parenting an Infant or Child . That is sexual assault and is prosecutable by Law.

Please stick to Analyzing text.


I don't believe that a dog say who "adopts" a baby rabbit for instance is called a mother and a child.
It would be a Bitch and Pup. (bunny)


Quote:
Originally Posted by hugbug993
Other animals will sometimes adopt a baby of a different species and people have no problem calling them a mother and child

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugbug993
SimPersia, I literally analyze text for a living. She focused on giving birth and breastfeeding as the prerequisites for being a mother, not the fact that it's a different species. That implies that she thinks those are the most important parts of motherhood.

And I was referring not only to lactation, but to the various forms of afterbirth, as well as semen because I used the gender-neutral form of 'parent'.

So, why does the fact that it's a dog prevent someone from being its parent? Other animals will sometimes adopt a baby of a different species and people have no problem calling them a mother and child, so why not humans and a dog?
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 12:09 AM
Default Slow Your Roll There Sweetheart
My mother finds it necessary to call my partner and my dogs our "fur babies"... since we don't plan on having children (adopting, surrogate, etc.) until we're both financially stable. I think it's cute. No, we aren't crazy ass people off our meds who don't know know the difference between a human and a dog.. I take my medication everyday, thank you. I think it's something you say when you care deeply for something else you have to care for that's living and breathing. I never wanted a dog or thought about it until we rescued one of ours from abusive owners. She was 3 weeks old. That's the first time I've ever had to care for another being, besides myself. I know my dog isn't a damn human.

My dog isn't a child (I think that's three times I've said it now ) and I know that. But I call her my "baby" as a nickname. I know her years are short, as many other dogs are. But you tell me that if and when your dog was to die, you wouldn't be upset, emotional, or flip shit because I know you would. You can't make an emotional connection like that and just say "goodbye!" and be on your merry little way.

If my mother wants to call our dogs her grandchildren, let her! She's worried she won't be around when my partner and I have children... she's just a worry wart. We have all of our marbles, assholes. If YOU worry about what other's are doing SO bad then maybe you need to reanalyze your life and where you THINK you fit in MY life. No where.... that's where.

Done.... rant over. :D
Top Secret Researcher
#28 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 12:43 AM Last edited by hugbug993 : 28th Jul 2015 at 1:36 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimPersia
Well , Interesting reply
And whilst since you literally analyze text for a living, analytically you apparently only missed that text that was only missing only just ;
and the entire whole point of the Vet story !
Nowhere in the little story of a trip to the Vet does it say anyone's views on Motherhood and what are the most important aspects or prerequisites of Motherhood or any implications of any of this individuals thoughts about anything.


Since apparently you don't know how to speak English, I'm going to assume you missed critical thinking as well.

Word choice often reflects the subconscious views of the writer. For example, the word 'each' refers to singular objects, as well as humans. The word 'every' refers to a group and objects. The word 'female' is also used more for non-humans - like animals and objects - than the word 'woman' is. So, if someone says "Each man" and then "every female", then it's reasonable to conclude that that person is at least subconsciously misogynist. And guess what? It nearly always is backed up - the remaining cases are quoting from someone who actually is a misogynist.

I can just hear the whoosh of that going over your head. Still, you seem to be an intelligent person, so I'm sure you can figure out what I mean.

Now, mrsyule's post is far more blatant than that. All she had to say was "it's a dog". Instead, she went on about childbirth and breastfeeding.
Generally speaking, people do not go off onto tangents unless they believe that it's part of the main subjects. For instance, if I asked someone on this thread what they think about sweaters and they responded with "wool is itchy", then they obviously associate wool with sweaters. Make sense?
Someone who responds to "Am I this thing's mother" with "I didn't give birth or breastfeed it" obviously considers childbirth and breastfeeding a huge part of parenting.

And your post is a prime example of Argument From Ignorance. The fact that you are incapable of literary analysis does not mean that there's nothing there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimPersia
Placenta is the only form of afterbirth we are medically familiar with, are there others?


Certainly. There's plenty of mucus along the female reproductive system, and a lot of it often gets discharged after and during the birth, including on the infant. And then there's all the waste that gets squeezed out during birth, which also counts. 'Course, it depends on which meaning of the word you're using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimPersia
Not familiar with how Semen is used in Parenting an Infant or Child . That is sexual assault and is prosecutable by Law. [


Then obviously you misinterpreted my point - I was asking mrsyule whether a man needed to physically knock up a woman in order to be considered a child's father. This would be why we have literary analysis: so people can understand what other people are saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimPersia
I don't believe that a dog say who "adopts" a baby rabbit for instance is called a mother and a child.
It would be a Bitch and Pup. (bunny)


Yes, and that would be a species-appropriate term for 'mother and child', since we don't have a word that means 'mother dog', so that was really a pointless comment.

My MTS writing group, The Story Board
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 2:05 AM
Default Yup just YUP
As long as every one is happy.....
I say let the text analysts stick to analyzing text and stop interjecting "certain bodily fluids" where they clearly don't belong.

Everyone cuddle just their pups and fish and kittens and kids,
and call them how they see fit and make the world a fuzzier place...

But really, a Vet should know better !


Just saying,


Quote:
Originally Posted by LikieSimmy203
If YOU worry about what other's are doing SO bad then maybe you need to reanalyze your life and where you THINK you fit in MY life. No where.... that's where.




Quote:
Originally Posted by LikieSimmy203
My mother finds it necessary to call my partner and my dogs our "fur babies"... since we don't plan on having children (adopting, surrogate, etc.) until we're both financially stable. I think it's cute. No, we aren't crazy ass people off our meds who don't know know the difference between a human and a dog.. I take my medication everyday, thank you. I think it's something you say when you care deeply for something else you have to care for that's living and breathing. I never wanted a dog or thought about it until we rescued one of ours from abusive owners. She was 3 weeks old. That's the first time I've ever had to care for another being, besides myself. I know my dog isn't a damn human.

My dog isn't a child (I think that's three times I've said it now ) and I know that. But I call her my "baby" as a nickname. I know her years are short, as many other dogs are. But you tell me that if and when your dog was to die, you wouldn't be upset, emotional, or flip shit because I know you would. You can't make an emotional connection like that and just say "goodbye!" and be on your merry little way.

If my mother wants to call our dogs her grandchildren, let her! She's worried she won't be around when my partner and I have children... she's just a worry wart. We have all of our marbles, assholes. If YOU worry about what other's are doing SO bad then maybe you need to reanalyze your life and where you THINK you fit in MY life. No where.... that's where.

Done.... rant over. :D
Top Secret Researcher
#30 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 3:10 AM
My question still stands. Do you think adoptive mothers aren't really mothers if they didn't give birth to or breastfeed their kids?

My MTS writing group, The Story Board
Test Subject
#31 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 11:37 AM Last edited by Kommode : 9th Aug 2015 at 7:21 AM.
How factual do you want to be? A non-human animal can't be a child. By definition, a child is a human child. An animal can be a baby, however. This allows adopted children to be the actual children of their adoptive parents. This rule also prohibits adopted animals from being labeled children, but it doesn't prohibit them from being labeled babies. These are facts if we're wanting to be politically correct.

If we're wanting to be metaphorical, we could all say any animal that cares for another animal is considered a parent. We use a figurative form of thinking when we label species of other animals mothers or fathers when they adopt other species into their arms.

We use figurative thinking with adoption for human beings as well--for adopted children are not biologically related to their parents. Though, since they are human beings we have given them political importance in our system, so they are recognized as having legal parents.

We do not socially have the desire to apply the same rules to dogs and cats that we do for adopted human children.

It's weird for a human being to call a non-human animal a child since it's not a human. It's weird in the sense that it differs from the norm. Most people don't call their pets their children. People cringe less if someone calls their dogs their babies instead of their children.

We have given social morals to certain terms and actions. In the sense of truth, it's weird for a human to call their dog their child. It's not factually weird through for them to call them their babies: since any newborn animal is considered a baby.

Though, there is something more concerning if one is having difficulty in life due to the priorities other humans give their pets. It's not any of your business in the first place. It'd be ridiculous if someone took their pet to court and asked for it to be recognized by the legal system as a person, but quite frankly other than that you should keep your nose where it belongs.

It's only a term, and a harmless one at that. Plus, it's used out of love. If people want to call their pets their children, let them. It doesn't hurt anyone.
Forum Resident
#32 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 2:41 PM
I am not sure how serious I should take this, but personally I never experienced anyone trying to officially adopt their pet to be their child. What I did see though, is people projecting human characteristics on pets. Talking to them as if they are human and understand every word. I find this mostly harmless and also suspect that most do realise that their pets are not actually understanding every single word. But then, people talk to plants too. We have the basic need to interact like that. I am pretty sure that this is also one of the reasons why it is seen as helpful for lonely people to have a pet like a dog or cat. So they have at least some company and something to care for. Especially dogs also give back like that. They crave for companionship.

This can be taken too far ofc, but I would not now where to draw the line personally. Even if someone goes so far to make their pet heir to their fortune As long as they are not harming themselves, the pet or anyone else, what does it matter? Just being against it, because it 'is not right' is a waste of energy imo.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 6:47 PM
Default Anthropomorphism
Anthropomorphism is the attribution of human form or other characteristics to beings other than humans, particularly deities and animals.

" What I did see though, is people projecting human characteristics on pets. "



Lab Assistant
#34 Old 17th Sep 2015 at 4:30 AM
You know what, if someone for whatever reason, doesn't want to have children... or isn't able to and decide they'd rather have Pets then I don't see the problem... Some people create deep bonds and relationships with animals. That person might be socially awkward, or just enjoys the company of a quiet animal more. Everyone knows that raising another human being is probably the most challenging job a person can have.. And as a mother, I don't take offense to this at all. I know my job is tough, I know others know its tough.. If a person creates a relationship with an animal that has so much love involved, who cares if they use the term children?? Now if those people already have children... that's a different story lol.
Theorist
#35 Old 17th Sep 2015 at 6:52 AM
I think that's part of the problem. It might make sense if someone doesn't have children to imagine having a pet is like having a child, but once you've got a kid to say that he or she is essentially on the same footing as the dog (or cat, or parakeet, or fish) kind of signals some sort of issue. I'm not sure exactly what that issue is, it might just be shitty semantics... But even if there's clearly no practical inclinations in that direction, to say it is to announce to the child there's an issue of priorities.
Top Secret Researcher
#36 Old 17th Sep 2015 at 7:35 AM
My mom calls her cats her children, and has since I was a kid and lived with her. Never really bothered me.

My MTS writing group, The Story Board
Theorist
#37 Old 17th Sep 2015 at 12:22 PM
Ever deal with cats? Mine are like toddlers, who throw fits if they don't get people food, demand your attention when you want to be by yourself and make a mess without always aiming for easy to clean surfaces.

So the cats, especially the personally hand-raised ones, are my children.

http://richinc.boards.net <--- My forum. Currently has a general talk board and a cooking board. Check back for more boards... please don't hurt me.
Theorist
#38 Old 17th Sep 2015 at 5:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAQUEEN
Ever deal with cats? Mine are like toddlers, who throw fits if they don't get people food, demand your attention when you want to be by yourself and make a mess without always aiming for easy to clean surfaces.

So the cats, especially the personally hand-raised ones, are my children.


I've dealt with cats, dogs, snakes, fish, lizards, mice, and children. Only one was an actual child. "Like" a child isn't a child. I talk to my computer sometimes, it doesn't mean it's like a person. People are different, the similarities are in our heads, not inside the animals. Calling pets children doesn't make them children, it just means people are a little nuts.
Field Researcher
#39 Old 12th Dec 2015 at 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
A pet isn't a child. It can be a valued family member, but the thing is that most types of pets would've gladly run away if they got the chance, except if they're trained to be loyal enough to stay.


And a child would not run away?

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. "
Field Researcher
#40 Old 2nd Jan 2016 at 4:30 AM
I remember Bill Burr doing a segment on this topic. Honestly though, I call everyone and everything my child. I'm pretty sure I've referred to like, at least ten people on this forum as my child. My cats are my children. My friends are my children. My favorite actors that are all 5 times my age are also my children. Who isn't my child, tbh?? I feel like it would be easier to name off a list of people that are not my children.

simblr: ribbonistasims
Test Subject
#41 Old 13th Jan 2016 at 10:59 PM
I have three cats (and have had two others in the past, all male, through no particular design), two turtles, and (most recently) a dog. I talk to all of them, and I do believe that the dog and the cats (not so much the turtles, though they certainly know who I am) understand the gist of what I am saying, and whether I am talking at them, or talking to them. (I actually had an argument the other day with a person, who insisted up and down that because she couldn't speak dog, it was impossible for any animal to understand any human speech, up to and including their name and basic commands, despite proof to the contrary.) I often say I like my animals better than people, and they are a serious part of my life. However, the closest I've ever got to calling them my 'children' is referring to the cats as the boys, and assigning sibling relationships to them, (brother) even though none of them are related. I have a few acquaintances who refer to their own pets, and mine, and everyone else's, as babies, and their owners as mommy, or daddy, and it really annoys me, because it's generally followed up with baby talk to the animal, or an overly sappy statement. (When I speak to my animals, it's the same way, mostly, that I would speak to another reasonably-aged person, not cutesy little garbage.)

Alternatively, though, I've heard people refer to pets as fur-babies or fur-children, and people as fur-parents, and this doesn't really bother me, since it seems a more mature way of putting it, and I've used the terms myself, a time or two, towards others. There is a special bond that develops between two creatures when one of them has chosen to care for the other, whether those two creatures happen to be two animals, two people, or a person and an animal. And it doesn't require that you birth or breastfeed. As stated, that would rule out adoptions, and mothers who bottlefeed. The role of parenthood is that you provide for, teach, and care for the 'child' until they are capable of providing and caring for themselves in our society. In that respect, there's no real difference between a human child or a pet, and, admittedly, most animals would be able to care for themselves, after a fashion, but it would certainly not be anywhere near the care that a responsible owner should be providing.

So, do I think people should go around treating them and speaking of them like their babies? No, not really, it's immature and silly. However, to me, at least, using the 'master' or 'mistress' terms, and the 'it's an animal' mentality seems too harsh for what should be a mutually loving and caring relationship. So, in that whole train of thought, perhaps using the friend terms, buddy, pal, companion, would be a better way to go.
Test Subject
#42 Old 21st Mar 2016 at 10:31 AM
I call my sweet kitty my child. She is hard to deal with, a smartass, and totally strong-willed. I have to pay for it all. What else is a parent to do?
Theorist
#43 Old 28th Mar 2016 at 3:43 AM
My sister refers to her cats as "fur babies" and even goes as far as calling my African landsnail her "snail-niece". I don't take it too seriously though. I don't think she really thinks of them as her babies though, just as family members that she cares for and that rely on her.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Inventor
#44 Old 29th Mar 2016 at 5:10 AM
As far as people saying they would save a pet's life instead of a human's, I am like this about animals in movies and TV shows. While watching an episode of Criminal Minds that was partially set in a dog grooming shop, I said out loud (talking about the unsub) "I don't care how many people you kill, just DON'T KILL A DOG."
Inventor
#45 Old 29th Mar 2016 at 1:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAQUEEN
Ever deal with cats? Mine are like toddlers, who throw fits if they don't get people food, demand your attention when you want to be by yourself and make a mess without always aiming for easy to clean surfaces.

So the cats, especially the personally hand-raised ones, are my children.


It's a cat's job to act like that and annoy their owners.
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 30th Jul 2016 at 12:37 AM
I think a more interesting debate is why your parents would find something so trivial to be highly offensive. Call your pets your children if you want. It's harming no one.

"It all takes time"
Test Subject
#47 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 3:09 AM
I love the society we live in now where something so unimportant can be dubbed a "hot topic issue". I call literally everything my children. Friends? Kids. Pets? Also kids. My iPad is my baby. Like who even cares what other people do and call their pets. Nobody genuinely assumes that pets = actual children but who even cares? Some people can't stand ACTUAL children anyway.
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 2nd Aug 2016 at 7:17 PM
Why is this a 'hot topic'? lol

I personally don't care what you call or associate your animal with as long as you take care of it and give it the love it requires.

Having said that, I do think there are differences in a pet and a child.
There are a ton of things I can say but the main thing is your pet does not need guidance on how to be a great man/woman for themselves and their community. Yes, they need to know how to act (not aggressive) but that won't gear them for school, a job, or social gatherings.

Either way, IDGAF. Raise your kids and your pets with love and respect because they deserve it.

Been downloading like crazy...so many great creators here! Neglecting forums...will be back soon...ish.
Forum Resident
#49 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 5:13 PM
Considering that you have take care of your pets as babies and they have a intellect of a three year old, It's no suprising why on youtube in titles and in the video itself they refer their masters as "dad/mommy"
Page 2 of 2
Back to top