Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jun 2013 at 11:55 PM Last edited by kayls42 : 27th Jun 2013 at 12:28 AM.
Default Will this computer run TS2/3 with or without upgrades?
HP Pavilion p7-1380t Desktop PC

Processor: 3rd Gen Intel Core i5-3330 Quad-core [3/0GHz, 6MB shared cache]
Memory: 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMS]
Hard drive: 1TB 7200rpm SATA hard drive
Graphics: Integrated Intel HD Graphics
Optical drive: SuperMulti DVD Burner
Networking: Integerated (Gigabit) Ethernet support, no wireless LAN
Cost: ~$600 (includes mouse & keyboard)

If I replace the graphics card, will this computer be capable of running TS3 (with all EPs/SPs) with higher graphic settings?

Or would more part replacements be needed, and if so, which ones? (Also, there are some options that I can "customize" the computer with when purchasing, like adding a wireless LAN card, blu-ray player drive, etc.)

I am willing to fully build a computer, but if it's not much of a cost difference and will work just as well, I'd really prefer to buy something already made and just upgrade it. And this is just the first pre-built comptuer I've found that 1) fits my budget and 2) appears to fit most of the TS3 requirements. I am, of course, still looking at other pre-built computers and would welcome any recommendations!

I'm working with a budget of $1000, $750-800 of which is just for the computer.
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 27th Jun 2013 at 6:24 PM
What monitor size do you have?
What graphics card are you thinking about getting? You may need to also replace the Power Supply.
You've read the sticky on upgrading Graphics?

Do you mean using HP's Built-To-Order option and configure at point of purchase with a different graphics, or upgrade it yourself personally? If personally, you may be voiding the warranty. Just in case you need to send the PC in for repairs while it is still under warranty for the first year. If you upgrade it now, right away, I mean; right off the bat after purchase.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Jun 2013 at 9:58 PM
I don't have a monitor; I will be purchasing one and I'm currently looking at several monitors, ranging 21-23" and they're all 1920x1080 resolution.
I'm would like to get a GeForce GTX 650 Ti, but I'm flexible on that as well, it just seems to fit my budget best for the performance (at least based on what I've read so far).
I can't find any information on what power supply this PC has, but I'd honestly be okay upgrading that as well if I have to, although I do hope I won't have to!
I have read the sticky, but it's been a bit so I should probably review it!

I will be upgrading the graphics myself, and I'm willing to lose the warranty as there doesn't appear to be an upgrade option for the graphics card on this particular computer, and I think it's worth it for me, especially as there will only be two people using this computer (myself and my SO, who hates computers and prefers his various iDevices.)

I am planning to upgrade to the 3.2GHz processor and 8GB of RAM, using their upgrading options.

ETA: I'm sorry if I say anything that comes off absolutely stupid, I think my brain's shut down since I quit drinking coffee.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#4 Old 1st Jul 2013 at 7:14 AM
My Google-fu returned me two links right off the bat...
- http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...ectID=c03368473 (shows it has a 300W Power Supply and the list in the Graphics section is what prompted me to ask if you're configuring and customizing at point of purchase)

but then...when I click on the other search link in the search results and then the Customize & Buy button, it shows the GPU is not configurable:
- http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...ectID=c03368473

So, it does appear that you have no choice but to upgrade it yourself, with a new PSU as well. The GeForce GTX 650 Ti is a good choice (for Sims 3 on a 21"-23" monitor). Minimum power requirements for this card is 400W - http://www.geforce.com/hardware/des.../specifications

If you plan on getting ALL the EPs + SPs however and complete the whole series, and at least the base game Sims 4 (in the next years whenever it's to be released), it is prudent to get a better range especially if your PCs tend to last you more than 2 years (at least 4 years and above). Anything that has a 6 or 7 in the gpu model series numbering. Example Nvidia GTX x60 or AMD HD x7xx. With a Power Supply to match of course. These are the ones that statistically have ALL GREENs in our SysReq wiki for ALL expansion and stuff packs.
Just have to make sure these "stronger" cards can fit the Dimensions of your PC casing, as some vendors build them longer than the reference design:
Quote:
External specs
Dimensions

16.14 x 6.89 x 15.28 in
source: http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/ho...avilion/A7F22AV

It is better to ask questions, then have buyer regrets. I don't care if the questions sound stupid, just so I understand it. If I don't understand what you meant, my questions are tools I use for me to understand what you need or want, and are not intended to make anyone sound stupid. If you do, then I apologize.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Jul 2013 at 2:33 PM
Thank you so much! I think you answered all of the questions I can come up with right now, so unless I think of anymore (which is entirely possible, but hopefully I have enough information now) I think it's time for me to take the plunge and actually finally buy (and upgrade) my new computer