Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2013 at 4:01 AM
Default looking to get this Graphics Card GTX770 Need a little in put please.
my husband retires next October, So I would like to get this graphics card now before he retires while we still have the money to do so. We will be on a fixed income once he retires. I am looking at getting the 4GB GTX 770(will my pc be ok to run this card?), and maybe add some more Ram. I am doing these things because I am planing on getting the sims 4 and just want to make sure my pc will run it. I know I should wait til the game comes out, but I don't think I can for the reasons I stated above. I would also like to know if I should upgrade anything else? My pc is 2 years old.
This is my pc:

Alienware
Intel Core i7 960 (3.2GHz, 8MB Cache)
6GB 1333Mhz DDR3
2.00GB Navidia GeForce GT 640 SC 128MB
1.2TB Raid 0(2x640GB SATA-11 7,200RPM,16MB Cache)
875w
Liquid C.

Motherboard:
Manufacturer: Alienware
Model: 04VWF2 A00
Chipset: Intel x58 REV.13
Name: Southbridge Intel 82801JR (ICH10R) REV. 00
LPCIO: Fintek F71882F
Link Width: x16 Max. Supported x16 PCI-Express

PSU:
Cosmic Black, Alienware Aurora Chassis, 875W PSU
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 24th Jul 2013 at 2:32 PM
The PSU (Power Supply Unit) provides power to your computer from the wall. I need to know if it can provide enough amperage for the card you're looking at. Open up your case and look inside for a small metallic box. The power cable that connects your computer to the wall goes into this small box. There should be a sticker on this box. I need to see what's written on it.

By the way, that's a very powerful card. Your CPU and RAM will probably cause a bottleneck. I would recommend you go with a slightly cheaper version, and less power hungry card.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Jul 2013 at 9:29 PM Last edited by pam : 24th Jul 2013 at 10:26 PM.
I am sorry it took me so long on getting back to you, but I had to do some research on finding out this info for you.

What version would you recommend? if not the 4GB GTX770. I was finely able to find this info out I have a picture of this for you.
Screenshots
Scholar
#4 Old 24th Jul 2013 at 10:41 PM
I was going to recommend the GTX 760 or a GTX 670, but after some further reading apparently your CPU can keep up with a GTX 770. Your mileage may vary of course. Your Power Supply Unit can support any of the cards mentioned. What are you going to be playing besides The Sims 3 / The Sims 4?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Jul 2013 at 1:10 AM
Thank you so much for your help and input. I do appreciate it alot.
well My grandson likes to play the new Batman game, and we also like playing skyrim, starwars, world of warcraft there are a couple of other ones my grandson likes I just can't remember them..lol
Scholar
#6 Old 25th Jul 2013 at 4:20 AM
Ah okay. Well if you're playing Skyrim and stuff like that then any of those GPUs will serve you well. I'm using a GTX 670 right now myself.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Jul 2013 at 6:19 PM
Thank you Ajaxsirius!!! I was wondering just out of curiosity, how good is the GTX 760 and if I did go with this how long do you think it will last me before I need to upgrade again? compared to the GTX 770? If I can save a bit of money I am all for that! LOL who wouldn't be right! But I know I won't be able to upgrade all that often once we are on a fixed income. So I just want to get the best now and the one that will last the longest. any thoughts??
Scholar
#8 Old 27th Jul 2013 at 7:43 PM
The GTX 670 and the GTX 770 are similar with the GTX 670 being slightly more powerful. The GTX 770 is a better deal right now simply because it is atleast $50 cheaper than a GTX 670. You should choose between the GTX 770 and the GTX 760 when buying new. The GTX 770 is about 20-30% faster than the GTX 760 but 60% more expensive. It's not really the best deal but it will probably stay relevant an extra year. I expect the GTX 760 to remain relevant for another three years, and the GTX 770 another four years.

If it were me I would just get the GTX 760. And then wait and see in three years if I want to replace it. By then you'll have to replace your CPU as well anyway. Paying a 60% premium for an extra year seems like a lot to me.