Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 3:57 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default I think I'm going to cry...
I've been looking and looking for a solution to my problem, and I don't know if I'm just not looking in the right places or not using the right words for the search engine, or what, but I'm about to toss this computer out the door.

I completely uninstalled Sims2 before installing the EP. I moved the downloads folder out and removed all the hacks, custom careers, etc. I've been slowly adding things back into the game so I know if it crashes, I'll be able to figure out at least what section of files the problem is in. Haven't had one yet *knocks on wood*. HOWEVER, 75% (that actually show up in the game) of my recolors are blue, I know this has to do with the game not being able to find the texture file (I read that somewhere), and I've reinstalled the Color Options package, and that didn't fix it, and I don't know what to do. Hair, skins, makeup, genetics - are not showing up at all. I can SEE them in my downloads folder (which has no subfolders), and I can pull them up and look at them with SimPE, but they just don't appear in the game. Same for all clothing not downloaded since the EP was installed. Walls and floors are not showing up at all, no matter when they were downloaded. Again...I can see them in the downloads folder, but they're just MIA as far as the game is concerned.

I've redownloaded everything that I could remember where it came from, and fixed what I couldn't remember with the batch fix and SimPE, so I can't imagine that it has to do with the files not being EP compatible, but I guess I'm up for any suggestions at this point.

If someone can help me or point me in some direction as to where I can get help, or at least tell me to go ahead and throw the computer out the door, I'd be much appreciated. Thank you.

Married to a hard-working guy and mother of one high-maintenance toddler.
Advertisement
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 4:00 AM
Awww... Silverlily, please don't cry! It's only a game. :D

Make sure you read the part in my FAQ about enabling custom content. I created a section just for that because everyone loves their downloads so much - they'd hate for them not to show up. I fall in this category - I have nearly 2GBs worth! (Yes, I suffer from EDD badly.) Let me know how this goes.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 4:02 AM
Oh yeah, that's definitely not the problem ...I think I've checked it every time I've loaded the game, almost obsessively.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#4 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 4:11 AM
Okay... your Downloads folder is C:\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads, right?

Second... try moving your clothing, hair, genetics, skins, eyes, etc. to SavedSims. That's where I keep all my Body Shop files and they show up in my game just fine.
#5 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 4:19 AM
I was have this same problems. I think I have found out what is wrong. I had the clean installer.I kept thinking it would show me what was wrong. Well it is what is wrong if you have the clean installer. Get rid of it. As soon as I uninstalled it everything worked fine. Now I just hope i can get my old hood back. Yes I uninstalled all my sims2, but I saved the hood in another folder. I hope this will fix your problem.

Good Luck

Celest
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 4:32 AM
Yes that is my downloads folder...SOME of the objects files are showing up fine, it's most of them that are the problem. And the moving the hair, clothing, etc files to SavedSims didn't work. Now I can't see ANY of the clothing files...even the 20 or so downloaded today which were showing up earlier.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 4:44 AM
Thanks Celestiny, but I just tried that, and that didn't work either.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#8 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 4:51 AM
Ohmygoodness, I am running out of ideas short of suggesting you to reinstall (which I know you sooo do not want to do again). They are all .package files, right? Your Body Shop files are not in subfolders, too, are they? Because you know they can't.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 4:56 AM
I have reinstalled......I have uninstalled/reinstalled Sims2 and the EP four times in the last week...and in the process lost pretty much everything I've worked on since September (due to my own haste the fourth time I reinstalled, not the game's fault). I don't have ANY subfolders in my downloads folder, I had problems when trying to organize things right after recolors were made possible and just decided to not even try. I'm completely at a loss as to what to do as well. The frustrating thing is...I can go into S2PCI and SEE everything. I can open things up in SimPE and SEE everything, there doesn't seem to be textures missing and I can see all the clothing I had before I installed the EP.
Test Subject
#10 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 5:23 AM
Default Try this...
You know, I don't really know anything about computers. I sort of learned my computer the hard way. But, I downloaded a few viruses and worm while downloading Sims stuff along with cookies and spyware. So, I ran a scan for spyware and viruses and cleaned up the system regularly. Why don't you try that and see what happens. I know how you feel. I love to Sims shop, but the things on other people's computer come along with the good stuff. I hope you find a solution.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 5:59 AM Last edited by silverlily : 8th Mar 2005 at 6:04 AM. Reason: Forgot something...
Could this have anything to do with it?...

I opened up SimPE and used the Scan Folders Plugin (like to check for EP compatibility) and checked all the boxes (EP ready, Compression Check, Guid Check) some of the files came up as "Compressed Dir incomplete" or "Corrupted compressed size." I don't really know what either of those things mean. Though I'm sure someone here does. If this is my problem, can it be fixed?

*Thank you JereMyer I tried scanning for viruses/spyware, and found nothing. Hopefully I'll figure it out.*

Married to a hard-working guy and mother of one high-maintenance toddler.
Faster kill pussycat
#12 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 10:38 AM
Quote:
I've been looking and looking for a solution to my problem, and I don't know if I'm just not looking in the right places or not using the right words for the search engine, or what, but I'm about to toss this computer out the door.

I am so onbord with you. The same thing is going on in my game. on top of that. every time I take a Pic it saves this black box and no pic. this has been going on way before I had any D/L or hacks. Makes me not even want to play. :hide:
nova

Now I'm not looking for absolution. Forgiveness for the things I do. But before you come to any conclusions. Try walking in my shoes. You'll stumble in my footsteps.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 5:25 PM
I also have this problem, skin tones and hair will show up fine in bodyshop but don't appear in game. It's not all of them, but just a few. nonethless it's irritating.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 5:32 PM Last edited by fleabay : 8th Mar 2005 at 5:35 PM.
Make sure to delete the sims 2 program folder after uninstalling.

You also need to uninstall color options from add/remove programs or you will get an error 'deleting this folder may cause some programs not to work'
Field Researcher
#15 Old 25th Mar 2005 at 3:00 AM
Default Compressed "skin" files
I ran into this thread while doing a search on compressed so maybe its as good a place to put my question as any. I have not yet installed the EP since I was having problems with TS2 crashing every time I tried to go into any house. I took out everything, reinstalled and the minute I put a few of the cas items back in it would crash when entering a house. So it finally occured to me to run a SimPE file scan for compression and I found several corrupted files, which I deleted. I also found lots and lots of "compressed" files which I recognize as things I downloaded and installed and could see just fine with the Clean Installer but don't think I ever actually saw in the game. The question is....is there some way I can uncompress them, or decompress them, or whatever? Any advice/help will be appreciated.