Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Mar 2005 at 1:48 AM
Default Manually Setting The Resolution..
I have a monitor that is 1600x1050, or something like that... The widescreen Dell one.

Anyway... None of my games ever give me the option to setting it to it's maximum the resolution. And before you say that my PC can't handle that resolution it can. EQ2 allowed me the option ingame to go to my PCs max resolution. SWG I was able to get there by manually setting the resolution in one it's files.

TS2 though... The highest resolution I can get is 1300 something. I been playing it stretched in full screen and it looks okay. Doesn't look chunky or stretched, but it bothers me because I know it could look better. I was hoping that maybe the EP would fix it but it didn't.

Anyone know of a way I can manually adjust the resolution? I tried adjusting the figures in one of the files, something about the default, max, and min resolutions based on low/med/high. Didn't do anything. Anyone know what I can do?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 10th Mar 2005 at 3:42 AM
Make a copy of your file named | Graphics Rules.sgr | and then edit the original (the copy is your safety backup)

file is here : C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Config

open file with RIGHT mouse click then choose OPEN WITH notepad.exe

You'll find that the game is restricting you based on your video card.

This controls the screen resolution you can get
option ScreenModeResolution
setting $Low
uintProp maxResWidth 800
uintProp maxResHeight 600
uintProp defaultResWidth 800
uintProp defaultResHeight 600

setting $Medium
uintProp maxResWidth 1280
uintProp maxResHeight 1024
uintProp defaultResWidth 1024
uintProp defaultResHeight 768

setting $High
uintProp maxResWidth 1600
uintProp maxResHeight 1200
uintProp defaultResWidth 1024
uintProp defaultResHeight 768

make sure you know what make and model number of graphics card you have then search the file for that name.
you'll also need to find a line that says

setb forceLowResolution true
change that to
setb forceLowResolution false
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Mar 2005 at 6:44 AM
Oh okay... I tried messing with those High/Med/Low settings but nothing else.

I have a X800 XT card, fyi, lol.. I'll try this stuff out when I get back on my PC.

- Thanks.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Mar 2005 at 1:05 AM
I tried doing all that but it didn't work.

I changed the resolution to 1600 and 1200 on all settings, max/med/low.

Changed the setb to false for 2 seperate lines of it that I found.

And I did the changes to both the file in the TS2 folder and the other file in the UNI EP folder -- Didn't know if I was supposed to do one or both.

Am i forgetting to do something? Because I don't understand what you mean about that finding my graphic card thing.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 25th Mar 2005 at 7:30 AM
yea me to..i need help! I have a laptop!