Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Oct 2013 at 8:01 PM
Default What did you do with the Veronaville 'hood?
I was wondering what you did with Veronaville, because I hardly ever played it, it bored me to the very end:

I've deleted the neighbourhood and the H&M store that came with the H&M Fashion Stuff SP, because I just had no taste for it at all, it wasn't my cup of tea..
It wasn't like the other premade 'hoods, you couldn't create a load of new families because the houses were too pricey and the whole story line is just like Romeo and Juliet crossed with A Midsummer Night's Dream.. its just too "set out" to play around with.

Желаю счастья и успехов для всех олимпийцев - I wish you happiness and success for all Olympians
Formerly "ZedzKay" - Thank you Leefish <3

I live on the forums.
Thank you to all creators for the CC that is available for me and for everyone
Advertisement
Meet Me In My Next Life
#2 Old 5th Oct 2013 at 8:40 PM Last edited by Simonut : 6th Oct 2013 at 7:48 PM.
There is another thread about this somewhere, anyway what I did was I got rid of the Summerdream house, I never like how it was build, I moved the Summerdream into the family bin first then into a new house.
I made some new Sims and houses to add a bit of drama to the neighborhood, which for me made Veronaville much more interest to play, I really like playing it now. The home are more like Tudor homes that are already there, I did make my new homes with a more modern twist. Yes I like Veronaville.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Forum Resident
#3 Old 5th Oct 2013 at 8:53 PM
I deleted it. lol

The moon so bright shows me the way
Deep in the graveyard beside her I lay
Knowing she'll keep me safe from all harms
Though six feet apart, I lay in her arms...
Mad Poster
#4 Old 6th Oct 2013 at 8:27 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 6th Oct 2013 at 8:49 AM. Reason: Added pic
I love Veronaville. It's where my favourite Sims live!

There's a thread on the Popular Threads section on What did you do with the Veronaville characters?, but this one's about the 'hood itself which I suppose is slightly different.

Apart from a test 'hood with one house, Veronaville is the only 'hood I've played. Initially I made my own Sims in CAS and ignored the premades, or just treated them the same as townies. At first I just used money cheats (FamilyFunds and Kaching - not Motherlode!) to give them enough money to buy houses. Later I built new cheaper houses on the "Italian" side of the canal. I actually used houses from the Lots and Houses bill but gave most of them makeovers to make them look "Veronaville", Italianate on the "Italian" side, Tudor on the "English" side. I also built a row of Mootilda's Moos Mews shops, clubs etc. on the Italian side, and a large public swimming pool. Recently I have added a larger nightclub with a restaurant, so Veronaville Sims can dance and dine in comfort without going Downtown (and without risking meeting Mrs. C., which is useful for really important dates). On the English side I have added a cemetery, a parish church, a rectory (for the priest to live in), and Cappland, a new house built for Goneril, Albany et al (they haven't moved in yet). Through walk-bys and the like, the Premades slowly worked their way into my game and I now play all their lots in what you might call loose rotations. (I play with aging off most of the time, so there is no need to keep ages in synch.) All the pre-made Family Bin Sims have been moved in, though Bianca Monty, and Kent, Cornwall and Regan Capp all live Downtown. Goneril's family are currently staying in a small house in the Via Veronaville until Consort gives her enough money to buy Cappland. I have recently added a front entrance to the Summerdreams' house after Puck and Bottom nearly missed the school bus walking round the long way.

I was, and to some extent still am, a little wary of the Montys and Capps with their willingness to use violence on each other, but they do add a bit of drama, and perhaps they help to prevent my game from becoming too gentle. Their feud has now died down a little, but new stories emerge, like Juliette wanting two boyfriends at once!

The Shakespearean drama doesn't really dominate my 'hood; my own CAS Sims see to that. The only Shakespearean thing about them is Jamie Siddons's second name: he takes it from Sarah Siddons, a famous 18th century Shakespearean actress. (btw Jamie is now Juliette's second string boyfriend.)

I think on the whole my Veronaville with its Downtown is a fun place for my Sims to live.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 6th Oct 2013 at 5:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
anyway what I did was I got rid of the Summerdream house, I never like how it was build, I moved the Summerdream into the family bin first then into a new house.

So did I The house is really built arkwardly. I prefer houses with a real front door, esp. when the carpool arrives. At first I tried to place stairs in front of the house just to find the maid stuck in a loop of going up and down the stairs. Quiting without saving and then removing them also didn't make things better so I made them move out.

So far, I haven't done very much. First, I gave all Veronaville inhabitants a big makeover. Decent hair, makeup and clothes.
Found that Titania is also in love with one of the Kappe family (don't remember his name) and as somehow I can't get fond of Oberon (really imagined him differently from stories I had read), I thought it interesting to get them together and be a family. Just that the children found out and instantly hated him
And I let Romeo and Juliet's brother (the one with the red mask, Tybalt???) have a fight. Juliet watched it, Romeo won - and lost several times. Juliet was so mad, she consoled Romeo and began to fight her brother as well - and won I prefer tough women
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Oct 2013 at 6:01 PM
When I first played Veronaville, I moved in Kent, Regan and Cornwall in one of the cheapy Tudor houses and Kent died by a fire that Regan caused by trying to make toaster pastries... so I moved Albany, Goneril and the other kids in with them and the house was too small so they had to live with it because I spent all the money on new objects they wanted..

I then went on the Summerdream's and Titania left Oberon at the altar and both of them fell for Albany and Goneril, Titania with Albany and Oberon with Goneril and Puck and Hermia kissed, then Bottom died of drowning... so... the 'hood storyline came to an abrupt end..

Желаю счастья и успехов для всех олимпийцев - I wish you happiness and success for all Olympians
Formerly "ZedzKay" - Thank you Leefish <3

I live on the forums.
Thank you to all creators for the CC that is available for me and for everyone
Mad Poster
#7 Old 6th Oct 2013 at 6:39 PM
I read somewhere that the Summerdreams' house (or should I say "palace"?) with its terraces and complicated staircases is based on the Elizabethan theatres in which Shakespeare's plays were originally performed. Having said that, it does have its problems as a practical place for Sims to live! As I said above, I added a front entrance after Puck and Bottom nearly missed the school bus walking round the side of the house. I simply added steps leading down from one of the side terraces into the ditch in front of the house. As there was already a door leading onto the terrace, the Sims readily used this new entrance in preference to the long walk round the side.

Because of the "ditch" at the front, the ground floor of the house is really at the same level as the street, so I would have preferred to fill in part of the ditch, or use a bridge of some sort, to allow level access to the house from the street, but I was unable to find a way to do this. So my Sims have to go down into the ditch just to climb out of it again. If anyone has found a way to provide level access, I'd love to know.

Incidentally, I cannot see how the Summerdreams can have paid for this palace out of their income from their day jobs. My Corntons have the same jobs, and live in a much more modest house. I think it must have been through their "other" jobs as King and Queen of the Fairies. In other words I'm sure it was paid for by the taxes that they make the fairies pay!
Meet Me In My Next Life
#8 Old 6th Oct 2013 at 8:14 PM Last edited by Simonut : 9th Oct 2013 at 6:55 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I read somewhere that the Summerdreams' house (or should I say "palace"?) with its terraces and complicated staircases is based on the Elizabethan theatres in which Shakespeare's plays were originally performed. Having said that, it does have its problems as a practical place for Sims to live! As I said above, I added a front entrance after Puck and Bottom nearly missed the school bus walking round the side of the house. I simply added steps leading down from one of the side terraces into the ditch in front of the house. As there was already a door leading onto the terrace, the Sims readily used this new entrance in preference to the long walk round the side.

Because of the "ditch" at the front, the ground floor of the house is really at the same level as the street, so I would have preferred to fill in part of the ditch, or use a bridge of some sort, to allow level access to the house from the street, but I was unable to find a way to do this. So my Sims have to go down into the ditch just to climb out of it again. If anyone has found a way to provide level access, I'd love to know.

Incidentally, I cannot see how the Summerdreams can have paid for this palace out of their income from their day jobs. My Corntons have the same jobs, and live in a much more modest house. I think it must have been through their "other" jobs as King and Queen of the Fairies. In other words I'm sure it was paid for by the taxes that they make the fairies pay!

@>> Andrew Gloria >> Yes that house was a big problem, I think maxis just made a mess of that house. The kids was always late for the school bus because there was no proper stair way leading outside.
I try to make over that house, but still entry ways was a big problem, and not only that one of the kid room was way to small. I move The Summer dream into a house much more for a family.

Maxis place the Summerdream into that house with a big back yard ( that was a bit too much ) Now about how could they afford the house in my game they both had ok jobs from the start.
In my game they both was working toward being a Professional Party Guest career ( not sure about others, but in my game they was. ) so they both separately earn $ 4,200 weekly average, they only work 3 days a week and was off 4 days.
For me I felt it was perfect for the children, because they was there with them, by time it was time for them to go to work the children was in bed sleep. ( with Nanny there )

The new homes I build are across the other side of the river away from the Tudor homes they are much more modern looking. After all People can not live in the 17 century for forever, when young people are moving on up into the world.
The Tudor are Classic home and will always be around In fact I created a Tudor style home that is here on the Mod.

Click on Picture below for Larger view
Screenshots

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Forum Resident
#9 Old 8th Oct 2013 at 1:16 AM
My first neighborhood was Veronica. I bypassed the Maxis plot fairly quickly; not only did I leave most of the Capps and Montys in the bin, but only Romeo, Juliet, Mercutio, and Hermia got any playtime. The Capp-Monty feud was solved when one man became heir to both fortunes (by marrying Isabel Monty, then Juliet Capp). No money, no problems. Eventually the story that emerged centered around one of odder kids, Ricardo Vargas, who became an Evil Genius raising an army of supernaturals. He had a tower in the middle of town that he stood on with his hands perched while he did his evil cackle. As I call, his mother died when he was a boy, so he became obsessed with restoring her to life. Eventually he did through the paranormal career. and she gave birth almost as soon as she came back to life. Her son Hector became Ricardo's sidekick. Ricardo became a Mad Scientist, Hector was a Cult Leader and a witch, an associate of theirs was a Criminal Mastermind. Ricardo had an alien daughter, "The Avatar", who he intended to became his secret weapon. Much to his surprise, alien offspring don't do much other than be green. His plans were eventually thwarted by my sim-self's daughter, a powerful vampire. (Vampires were good in my game.). They probably would have had werewolves and plantsims had I those expansions at the time...

I've never really played Verona again. It experienced some life when I did the uber-megahood, the storyline of which was: the kingdom of Greater Verona (the hood) was in the midst of a civil war following the death of the king, whereupon the Montys and Capps vied for the throne. Every hood had an aristocratic line (the Goths in Pleasantville), and everyone chose a side. Strangetown was the frontier, where General Grunt was trying to keep the Royal Army from being involved in the petty conflict.. Alas, that neighborhood just Vanished.
Scholar
#10 Old 8th Oct 2013 at 1:50 AM
I've started over again, so my plans are basically like they always are:

First, I move Goneril and Regan's families into those two big empty houses near the Capp Manor. Then I begin my plan to end the Capp-Monty feud. Part of it is breeding out. Juliet is the heiress to the Capp Family, so marrying her to Romeo will bring all the assets of the Capps under a Capp-Monty union. Bianca will marry Kent, Benedick, when he's old enough, will get together with Desdemona. I'm thinking of hooking Miranda and Mercutio up, but they probably won't stay together. After that, it's just a matter of letting the hateful older generation die off; after all, of the third generation, only Tybalt seems to give a damn about the feud, so once the 1st and 2nd generations are dead, the feud will die with them
Field Researcher
#11 Old 8th Oct 2013 at 12:09 PM
I love the architecture of Veronaville, so I extracted some houses and deleted the hoods.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 8th Oct 2013 at 3:25 PM
I tend to ignore the Shakespearean references. They're all mixed up across plays, anyway.

I like the sims there a lot. I often merge the various Capp and Monty households, because one doesn't move out of the family fortress when one suspects the other family of being out to murder you, unless one is running for the hills. Kent gets to meet aliens. But I've talked about them a lot before. I always, always change Bottom's name. She's Blossom.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Theorist
#13 Old 8th Oct 2013 at 4:07 PM
This time around (started a new game) and for the first time ever, Veronaville (the cleaned version from meetme2theriver) is being used as my main hood.

After bulldozing all of the homes and businesses and clearing the neighborhood decor, I found the layout to be quite nice and perfect for structuring individualized parts of town (class wise).

As for the Sims, everyone received new homes (some better than others) and stories to play out...along with Sims from the other neighborhoods that were added as well.

The only family that didn't make the cut, was the Summerdream family. However, the local cemetery welcomed them with open arms.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Test Subject
#14 Old 9th Oct 2013 at 1:48 AM
I so want to play Veronaville again but it has mysteriously disappeared from my game. I've even reinstalled the base and EPs twice recently and it is still missing
Mad Poster
#15 Old 9th Oct 2013 at 2:23 AM
scalpearl go here and download a clean and fixed Veronaville http://meetme2theriver.livejournal.com/63030.html

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Forum Resident
#16 Old 9th Oct 2013 at 3:33 AM
In my Megahood I killed them all (not even joking) and made a video about it while doing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pzN_KYmHZc
Mad Poster
#17 Old 9th Oct 2013 at 1:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
In my game they [the Summerdreams] both was working toward being a Professional Party Guest career ( not sure about others, but in my game they was. ) so they both separately earn $ 4,200 weekly average, they only work 3 days a week and was off 4 days.

When the game opens (at least in mine) Titania and Oberon are both in the Slacker career path, but neither have reached the top of it yet. Titania is a Party DJ earning §385 4 days a week, while Oberon is a Home Video Editor earning §613 4 days a week, Puck also has a badly paid job as a Golf Caddy which pays §45 5 days a week. That gives a total weekly family income of §4,217.
In contrast my Corntons are also in the Slacker career path: Audrey really is a Professional Party Guest earning §1,400 3 days a week, and her partner Tom isn't far behind as a Free Lance Web Designer earning §933 3 days week. That gives a total family income of §6,999 a week. But look at their far more modest house:
They're comfortably off but they couldn't possibly afford a palace like the Summerdreams'. The total value of their lot is §38,261 compared to §128,285 for the Summerdreams' lot.

So I'm sure whatever paid for the Summerdreams' house, it wasn't their salaries! Of course in truth it's probably inherited wealth, but that's not something that readily occurs to a first generation Simmer like myself, so I prefer to think that it was the fairies' taxes that paid for a palace for their king and queen!

I think I'll let the Summerdreams continue to live in their idiosyncratic home. It's a very eccentric house, but then the Summerdreams are an eccentric family -- they are fairies after all! And, if in one sense their house is an Elizabethan theatre, in another sense it's really a fairy palace! Having said all that, I'm glad that I've now given it a working front entrance, and I'm very glad that the rest of my Sims live in more sensible houses!

Note *
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 9th Oct 2013 at 8:21 PM
With only Nightlife installed, thus getting the Downtown subhood, out of the 4 neighborhoods, Veronaville is probably my least favorite of the three - Pleasantview is at least an interesting continuation of the neighborhood from TS1, while Strangetown's just odd and quirky, at least, as odd and quirky as the base game can get. The families and lots there are probably my favorite of the three. Veronaville is basically Romeo & Juliet with some elements from other Shakespeare stories thrown in. The families are the least interesting of the three, in my opinion - they're basically just the Capulets and Montagues, plus the Summerdreams. The neighborhood buildings do actually look quite nice, although the half of them being Tudor-style kind of irks me. (I was always more Victorian.) The Italian side is also completely empty - I see it's more of a country, but it just seems like there's only about 4 lots on that side while the Tudor side has about 22, which can fit in quite a few families, plus, the two/three homes on one lot, which, with AL, can make great apartments.

I honestly just went and deleted the place, I'm building a lakeside village now to take it's place.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 9th Oct 2013 at 11:48 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 10th Oct 2013 at 8:14 AM. Reason: typo
One of my Sims said to me that anyone who was fed up with Veronaville was fed up with life. (Actually it was Dr. Samuel Johnson who said it about London, but so what!) There's just so much going on in my 'hood I can't imagine being bored by it.

When I started playing the Sims about 10 months ago, I was mainly interested in creating my own Sims and then playing the relationships that I planned to develop amongst them all. If Maxis had provided a neighbourhood with houses and shops but no Sims, I think I'd have played that. But they didn't. I did vaguely think of starting with a custom 'hood, but then I'd have had to do everything from scratch. As the game arrives there are plenty of houses in the Lots and Houses bin, but no community lots. I didn't fancy starting off by trying to build all my own community lots, so I thought I'd better start with one of the three shipped 'hoods. I had already read that Strangetown was glitched, and it was all about aliens (in which I had no interest) anyway. Pleasantview sounded interesting, and I planned to come to it later, but it seemed to be a continuation of The Sims (1) and of course I had never played The Sims 1. So I looked at Veronaville, and with only 3 playable families, it seemed as close to my "empty 'hood with houses and shops" as I could get. I wasn't at that stage really interested in the playable Sims at all. I saw Veronaville more as a place where my own Sims could settle down and live. A place where other Sims already lived and where there were shops to go to. A place where they wouldn't be completely alone.

Possibly the key for me in Veronaville is that it isn't dominated by the Shakespearean pre-mades. They certainly have their place as the old established families that created the place, but they are no more important than all the CAS Sims and ex townies who have moved in to create the vibrant community that is modern Veronaville (as the City Council puts it). The Council has encouraged a lot of development on the Italian side, which is becoming the commercial heart of the modern town.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 11th Oct 2013 at 2:03 AM
A few months ago I deleted all of my saved games and started from scratch. I've only touched Pleasantview (It's my all time favorite lol). Honestly, I hardly ever play Veronaville and, if I do, it's for a short period of time before getting bored. I haven't built up the determination to completely rebuild the town yet but, after seeing all these posts, I might give it a shot.