Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Dec 2017 at 6:53 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Odd question about performance
So I just recently got Sims 2 working on a newer machine, and had lots of fun years ago getting it working on lesser machines. So I know all the basics and most of the advanced tips and tricks.

So with my understanding of the CPU utilization I started thinking a single core CPU would be better to play this on than a dual or quad core. And I have an older Dell with a pentium III 3.0ghz...

Now I have a few other PCs, rest are rather weak dual or quad cores, around 2.2 - 2.4 mostly AMDs.

Have a few card options too think I'm gonna try a 560 TI I have sitting in a drawer.

Anyways, do you think it would be worth re-building that PC with with that card? I have all the parts, I'd just hate to do all the work and find out it still works better on my newer quad core.

Also have a 1060 6GB in the current 2.2 AMD quad core I'm using. Windows 10. 8 GB Ram

So basically would my 3.0 GHZ pentium out-perform the 2.2 dual/quads? I'm sure my 560 Ti or whatever it is would be plenty for the graphics, think it's got 2 or 4gb vram... Ram would be the same. Probably install on SSD, and would use windows 7 instead of 10, or could use XP if that was better?

Help a simmer out? Is this worth a shot?
Advertisement
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#2 Old 18th Dec 2017 at 10:04 PM
the 3.0 will definitely outperform. I went from a six core 3.5 to a 4 core 3.2, and even with more memory, I can tell a difference (although the first one was supposedly less of a cpu than the current one, amd vs intel)

whether it performs better enough to be worth all the hassle, and the lack of memory/ram and graphics card is another question. However, I would think the 2.2 would make it run somewhat sluggishly? I don't think I have ever run the game on a core below 3.0
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Dec 2017 at 11:18 PM
Yes, sluggish is the word. I've got it about it as good as it can be and even with only a couple sims on a big lot that's relatively unfurnished for it's size it's still laggy to the point it's not worth playing. Can make it look as nice as I want and force all kinds of extra AA etc but it just makes it worse.

I don't remember it being this bad before years ago and I think I was playing on the single core Pentium III 3.0... with a much lesser G-Card, and less ram, I know big lots with tons of stuff would get bad but I remember finding a happy medium and just had to control my neverending urge to build more stuff...

Was also considering maybe building a new machine, I play games like Fallout 4 etc that need more juice also... just so expensive.

I could keep my 1060, SSDs, win 10, just get a case, mobo, cpu, cooler and ram...

Thanks I'll probably still build this Sims 2 machine either way. If it works I could always sell it with my sims games as a full "Sims 2 Machine"

Wondering if I should go with Win 7 or XP... game was built for XP and that's all I'm really gonna use it for... would win 7 be better for any reason in this context?
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#4 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 12:24 AM
Not really... I mean if you are just using it for a sims 2 machine. for other uses yes, but if it is just for sims 2, XP would be fine.