Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

2018 MTS Calendar Contest - posted on 12th Nov 2017 at 8:48 PM
Replies: 1865 (Who?), Viewed: 152216 times.
Page 75 of 75
Mad Poster
#1851 Old 9th Nov 2017 at 1:51 PM
hmm...I'm not meatless, so I don't really know. I guess tofu isn't pliable, huh?

The eggs are really good warm, but I like to stick them in the fridge for a few hours, then eat them cold. The flavors have time to really blend together, and they are so delectable.

Yes, Broadchurch was truly wonderful! The leads were just great together. But let's face it, Tennent's the man! The best line of the whole series came after he had confronted some of the boys who were bullying his daughter. Remember, he came back to the station still lathered up from talking to them, and told Ellie that his biggest problem was that he was too nice to people! And while I sat there rolling with laughter, Ellie was stammering "no...that's...not...it".

I miss that show.

"Death cannot stop true love; all it can do is delay it for awhile."
Lab Assistant
#1852 Old 13th Nov 2017 at 6:27 PM
Home made cream of Broccoli and cheddar soup, with Bacon.
Mad Poster
#1853 Old 13th Nov 2017 at 6:39 PM
I'll be right there.

"Death cannot stop true love; all it can do is delay it for awhile."
Theorist
#1854 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 12:00 AM
Baked potatoes... it's cold tonight.

I actually was a bit fierce in trying to get enough sour cream and cheese into my loaded baked potatoes.

It's more of a potato mash how I eat them. Butter, bacon, chives, sour cream and Cheddar cheese. It was not the only meal I bought ingredients for. I also bought stuff for my "weaponized" Mac and cheese and my bell pepper and onion pizza.

I asked my dad "Would you believe I was a quasi government agent?" He said "Chuck Barris was TV host and producer, but also a CIA agent. Nothing surprises me at my age."

http://richinc.boards.net <--- My forum. Currently has a general talk board and a cooking board. Check back for more boards... please don't hurt me.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1855 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 12:23 PM
I made a vegetarian version of Chou Croute Garni, which is an Alsasian dish of potatoes, bacon, sausages, pork chops, and sauerkraut soaked in white wine and herbs. The veggie version had a fake bacon and a fake hotdog. Although it was tasty, I should have picked up a veggie sausage that I saw the other day that was mild. I had some Italian style on hand, but that would not have gone with the dish. It's supposed to be mild.

While it sounds like a wierd combo, it really works, especially as the mix sits and the flavors blend. One important step is to drain and rinse the sauerkraut, which removes the briney taste.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Top Secret Researcher
#1856 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 7:34 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 15th Nov 2017 at 1:35 AM.
Slow cooker mac and cheese

It is horrible. All i can taste is the evaporated milk which I can't stand anyway. It would have been better if I stuck to my usual baked mac and cheese . There isn't anything funky in it and there is no weird aftertaste.

EDIT: Many hours later.... the nasty mac and cheese went in the trash and I made my usual stuff. I should have just made the usual to begin with.

Simblr <--- No drama, just pics.
There's no rest for the wicked
Theorist
#1857 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 3:24 AM
My weaponized Mac and Cheese.

I call it weaponized because cleaning up is the worst nightmare of dishwashers of any sort.

It's sorta has a weird story. I was trying to replicate the baked Mac and Cheese my mother made, buy I neglected to measure cheese and it just became super cheesy.

The backstory I would give to complete strangers is it was an environmentally friendly compound that could be substituted for spike strips.

http://richinc.boards.net <--- My forum. Currently has a general talk board and a cooking board. Check back for more boards... please don't hurt me.
Alchemist
#1858 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 4:10 AM
Found an old box of Swedish Pancake mix, and decided not to make Swedish Pancakes with it because I have a family recipe that is better than any other Swedish Pancake recipe I've ever tasted, so instead I used it to make crepes, and then filled them with wine-marinated chicken, fresh spinach and tomatoes, sauteed onions, and thyme, and then had cheese and fresh fruit and wine along with. Quite tasty (though clearly I need to figure out the nuances of French cooking more than I have at this point...)

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1859 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 12:17 PM
Zarathrustra, your descriptions are always so very gourmet. Sounds amazing and I'm dreaming up ways to make a vegetarian or pescatarian version. Speaking of savory pancakes, I've been curious for a while about Ethiopian pancakes, but have yet to find them or try making them myself.

Gargoyle, I used to love my mother's baked mac n' cheese, straight from the Betty Crocker cookbook. It's layered first before baking - noodles, butter, flour, cheese, etc... and then milk is poured over it. As it bakes, the milk is absorbed and the cheese mixes with the noodles smoothly. There's always a great crust on the top. She used Velveta back then, which isn't even technically a cheese, but a "cheese food." When I make mac 'n cheese, I'll either bake it using cheddar and a mild cheese like Montery Jack or I'll make a white sauce with the cheese in it and then mix it with the noodles and bake it. Smoked gouda is delicious in mac 'n cheese.

Panda - I hear you, cleaning up the pans is a bear. I will boil some baking soda and water in them and then let it cool to soften the mess before clean up and that helps.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Alchemist
#1860 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 2:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerDeTerre
Zarathrustra, your descriptions are always so very gourmet. Sounds amazing and I'm dreaming up ways to make a vegetarian or pescatarian version. Speaking of savory pancakes, I've been curious for a while about Ethiopian pancakes, but have yet to find them or try making them myself.

For what it's worth, they usually sound a lot better than they end up tasting... I'm much better at coming up with the ideas for dishes than I am at actually managing to cook them successfully...

Theorist
#1861 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 7:39 PM
Eating instant meals during this rough, tiring part of the month of November.

Right now, I admit that I never blind baked crusts of any sort. I use a premade pizza crust, but it requires a blind baking style of preparing before putting down sauce, cheese and vegetables.

Top Secret Researcher
#1862 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 6:34 PM
I just finished making 2 batches of this basic marinara sauce by Whole Foods to put in the freezer for next week. My whole house smells like garlic and onions.

I put this sauce through the Vitamix to smooth it out, but it tastes just as good if left chunky. This is a stove-top recipe by the way, no blender required.

Simblr <--- No drama, just pics.
There's no rest for the wicked
Mad Poster
#1863 Old 22nd Nov 2017 at 12:20 PM
Had a basic Seafood Marinara on Monday night

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Steam ID: PadukSteam
Test Subject
#1864 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 5:11 AM
i plan on baking some baklava in the wee hours of the morning.
Alchemist
#1865 Old Yesterday at 1:29 AM
It is Thanksgiving, so....

Mad Poster
#1866 Old Yesterday at 3:30 AM Last edited by grammapat : Today at 2:53 AM.
Pot-lunch with friends. A walk looking at all the custom 30's & 40's houses, then desert. It's only 6:30 pm and I can't stay awake. Can't imagine I will be hungry tomorrow, but I have the fixins for my version of potato soup, with bacon, onions, cheddar and broccoli. Oh, and herbed biscuits. We have hard cider left over. A perfect day, crisp air, bright Ginkgos, friends, and home to snuggle with hubby and ancient kitty.
Last year I did this for part of Xmass dinner..

====
and what were you DISAGREEING with? calories? Oh, never mind; it must just be the Grinch.

Namaste
Page 75 of 75