Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 2:15 AM
Default Floor plans for Sims
I would like to be able to share floor plans for my Sim houses. I am thinking of putting up a Fan Site or maybe finding somewhere that will allow me to share them. I am sharing a link on Photo-bucket to the sort of thing I'd like to do. I could add images for the finished product, how to do the roof and other things. What do you all think?

Edit: Sorry wrong image got it right now!

http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/...eR2BaPlanA1.jpg
Advertisement
The other one
#2 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 5:18 AM
I reckon there's probably a niche for this, especially if you "translate" real architectural floor plans into sim-friendly grid plans (urgh, wish I'd thought of that!! lol. Maybe when my computer's back up and running I can be a guest planner on your site? ). There's a lot of people out there who want to use house plans but find the measurement translation confusing so whether you use real plans or make your own I'm sure there'd be some interest. I've never actually set up and maintained my own site so I wouldn't know the best way to go about it but I've seen others set up blog-type pages where they display their pics and offer downloads. Once you're up and running start advertising it in the free content forum (linked below) with regular updates to draw in traffic. You might even be able to ask bigger sites to have your link on their page....dunno what their criteria is for accepting but your idea is pretty original so once it's going and you have a few offerings it's might be worth asking Good luck!

PS What do you use to draw those plans?

http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=570

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 1:33 PM
Default Thanks
I just made a half inch grid in Adobe Photoshop and painted in the squares to represent the blocks. I just made the door window and closet symbols up on the fly. I wanted things simple so that most people could just look at it and understand.
I am a trained residential planner and have been translating floor plans to Sims before I even started school for it. It is one of the things that made me go to school for it!

P.S. If I do create the site I'd love you on board.
Test Subject
#4 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 12:09 AM
I don't know if it's just me, but I've always loved real floor plans of extravagant houses. But, the problems I always run into is that my sims don't particularly like that stuff! And I find myself constantly altering the rooms to fit their needs, and um making unusual alterations to prevent neighbors from using their property!

Like for example the first floor is an entertainment level (full of group activity related fun) and there will be a door to lock access to the living quarters upstairs. (where their computers, kitchen, and musical instuments are) Everyone seems to favor the bathroom on the first floor, So I've always had to make this university style bathroom, 4 stalls and 4 private showers for 8 sims seems to make them happy, no bathtubs. (too many bubblebaths.) Though It's odd, this seems to work out best for a playing enviroment.

Altering houses can be time consuming. And I've noticed the houses I've downloaded (since I'm so lazy) are " Designer Homes". They all have these beautiful gardens, that the bulter can't ignore. ( He's soposed to be helping me pull weeds in my greenhouse, so my sims can have a little fun) but instead, he's outside having fits, and never gets anything done unless I rip it all out! I hate that the boarders around the plants interferes with the shrubs, and they can't trim, as they like, and so I get ugly landscaping ( just so he doesn't annoy me.)

So all in all, the idea of real life architectural floor plans being converted to Sims, (as beautiful as they may be) aren't always a good thing. Sims are strange, so it would be nice to see some alterations to see more "playable houses" rather than "designer collections" so to speak.
The other one
#5 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 2:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by NitaLynn
I just made a half inch grid in Adobe Photoshop and painted in the squares to represent the blocks. I just made the door window and closet symbols up on the fly. I wanted things simple so that most people could just look at it and understand.
I am a trained residential planner and have been translating floor plans to Sims before I even started school for it. It is one of the things that made me go to school for it!

P.S. If I do create the site I'd love you on board.

Actually I really would like to contribute Unfortunately I broke my gaming pc that had sims and photoshop on it and I'm left with this crappy little thing for now that only seems to be able to manage paint I tried downloading GIMP but it just crashed when I tried to open it. So I could still do some conversions but I wouldn't be able to work on any with vaulted ceiling/loft rooms because I need to be able to play around with the game to get my head around how to lay it out while making sure that the roof doesn't interfere. Also, paint doesn't allow you to stroke things with a fine line like your windows and the writing seems to come out weird unless it's massive! So essentially, I can work on them as long as there's no weirdness with the roof and I probably won't be able to draw up a key, I'd just have to explain it to you in writing if I've had to do anything that's different to your key. Sound ok? I don't think not having the game at the mo will be an issue since I've also been converting real plans for sims for donkeys and the measurements (in tile) of all household essentials are etched in my brain

...Actually if you give me half an hour or so to get the kiddo to bed I'm gonna pm you
Quote: Originally posted by Nytestar
I don't know if it's just me, but I've always loved real floor plans of extravagant houses....

So all in all, the idea of real life architectural floor plans being converted to Sims, (as beautiful as they may be) aren't always a good thing. Sims are strange, so it would be nice to see some alterations to see more "playable houses" rather than "designer collections" so to speak.

I disagree on both points, lol. I hate massive big mansion type houses and very rarely play on anything bigger than a 30x40 lot and I'd consider that to be massive! Big houses are impractical for sims (IMO) and take a long time to decorate well.

If the plans you're trying to convert aren't working for you then you probably need to reconsider the plans you choose or use more initiative when it comes to altering at the planning stage. Not all plans translate well, some take a lot of work and changes while some are just impossible to convert. Assessing whether a plan is do-able before you even start building will save you a lot of wasted time and effort!

Test Subject
#6 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 4:35 AM
Perhaps it would have been wiser to elaborate on what I meant by extravagant. Common homes do not have game rooms. I don't download Mansions. I only use medium lots. Even for a household of 8 sims. With 4 bedrooms at most.
The other one
#7 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 5:16 AM
My bad, when you said that I imagined those big American style homes with a million different rooms most of which probably never even get used (in RL or sims). I hate that....mostly I just build a basement for any additional hobby stuff I can't fit in the house or garden unless I'm using plans that happen to have a bonus room.

Test Subject
#8 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 9:50 PM
Default added a thought I had
I don't know how to make basements LOL But, if I did, I'm sure I would definitely utilize that aspect!

Yeah, I don't like alot of useless room either. I mean some people may look at it strange, but I have no problem shoving up to 8 sims into one bedroom, that has four double beds to share. I usually have four rooms upstairs. for example, two large rooms and two small rooms.
1. A large bedroom to shove all adults into.
2. A small normal bedroom (specifically for whoohoo purpose)
3. A small kids bedroom
4. A spacious nursery. Equipt with EVERYTHING needed to train the kids. (Counters, Refridgerator, A toilet, trash can shute, bookshelf, and toys, ect.) That way I can lock the parents in the room to train the toddlers.
oh and I'm weird, I hate cribs, that makes the child sleep better than adults! I use pet beds for them, the toddlers can even crawl inside themselves! (Might not be a bad idea if someone converted the pet bed to look like a childs bed :P)
Mad Poster
#9 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 10:10 PM
I think it's a nice idea but, unlike real life, it doesn't cost any money to build the house, and since you're going to add pictures of the finished house, why not upload the house with just the basic shape, windows and doors in place? Players could add the flooring, walpapers and other decorations themselves.
Test Subject
#10 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 10:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
I think it's a nice idea but, unlike real life, it doesn't cost any money to build the house, and since you're going to add pictures of the finished house, why not upload the house with just the basic shape, windows and doors in place? Players could add the flooring, walpapers and other decorations themselves.

oOOOooh fabulous idea! Yeah, I would love to see that!